Windows 7 Beta

Lunk

Nuts, I just bought and installed Vista 64-Bit on my new computer (that I cannot currently use) last month, and it sounds like version 7 is better. Have they released any information on what the cost is going to be? I know it'll be at least a year or so before they release a full version, maybe late 2009 at the earliest, but I'm just wondering if I can hold off on switching to a different OS.

Also, what makes it a good gaming OS, ZeroDamage? I know it's supposed to be more compatible with multicore systems, but I don't know how to judge it for gaming purposes (which is what my new computer was supposed to be for primarily). :unsure:

• Replies 235
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It is less clunky. More responsive. I am seeing better registration which could be just a fluke but.....

The OS I think is supposed to be released this summer. Should start seeing it on new systems from like Dell in July or August. At least that is the tentative release date/time area.

Quick Tip: TO fix the large desktop Icons if you want them smaller. Click on the desktop somewhere. Hold down the control-key. Scroll your mouse wheel up or down to make them the size that you want.

Edit: This works on Vista too.

Edited by ZeroDamage

can i dual boot this from XP? emty 80 gig sata hd and would like to know if it will work?
can't hurt to try...or can it...

:shrug03:

anyone trying any of the 3 recommended anti virus programs? i was a little bummed to not see avg free listed, but i've got to assume that it would work. for kicks, i've got kaspersky running on mine, but that trial is only 3 months. i've never used it before, but so far, i like how unobtrusive it is.

I don't know what i am doing wrong but I downloaded this thing 3 times and still can't burn the so called image to a disc. Come up not readable and won't even load it. I got the image from this link that ZD said to get it from and says it 1 gig. tried to burn it and nothing. I think at this point I'm giving up on it. Don't know what I'm doing wrong but it just isn't working for me so, I don't know.

windows 7 is my new primary os. now that i have sound working i will not be going back ever.

Should I be thankful I avoid Vista? :smillie_smilling:

I avoided Vista too. Been messing around with this 7 and I kinda like it, guess I been staring at XP so long something else might be good. Testing it out on an old Athlon XP 2.0ghz system with a gig of ram and a Geforce 5200. Everything works and doesn't run too bad. I noticed that IE 8 is slower then Firefox 3.

For people downloading from the official site and getting files that are too small. The site has been posting horrible speeds all day and timing out all day as well.

I have not gotten higher than 70k/sec from the site while still getting 200+ from other sites.

I have also been having timeouts all day but I use DownloadThemAll so I can resume the download. It's possible that you're timing out and your download thinks that it is finished.

So you guys that are now using it, did you install a fresh copy or did you upgrade from Vista? If you went with a fresh install on an empty hard drive, did you have any trouble finding drivers? If you installed from Vista, did you have any conflicts?

I'm planning on giving this a shot later in the week if I have the time, just curious what to look for.

Downloaded off of ZD's recommended site, and got 64bit key, had no problems with the download or the burn or the install. Pretty nice overall, somethings I don't like: the taskbar icons, and grouping of windows, which I finally got removed, NVidia drivers were downloaded off of Windows Update, and when installed it said "failed" however Window's said it installed properly... No idea what is up with that, and both video cards have been found. Tried to install Vista 64 drivers from NVidia, and it wouldn't even load. The XFi post ZD made was because of me, not a big issue, just a stupid error on either MS or Creative's part. Played CSS for quite a while today with only 1 crash, but only because my GPU's overheat too easily, so I installed the latest RivaTuner and had no problems at all afterwards. I have Crysis and L4D installed as we speak. Will probably try Crysis first!! GOOOOOOOOOO DX10! Which remind's me, the Win7 does not include the latest DX on it, so get on MS and download the updater, and you'll get patches from all the way back in 06.... Will keep up with post's as I find new things or problems!

(edited)

has anyone tried a dual boot yet with this. I really don't want to set up another pc for it cause the only other one I have is an old athalon xp cpu

I suppose I could try to boot off it and see if I can throw it on the other drive. will try that and let you know.

FYI---the MS link from ZD works perfedtly. If you have windows live it will e-mail you a confirmation, lick the link and confirm and at the download page you will receive

a product key to use, it was that simple. Thanks ZD.

Edited by Primus

So you guys that are now using it, did you install a fresh copy or did you upgrade from Vista? If you went with a fresh install on an empty hard drive, did you have any trouble finding drivers? If you installed from Vista, did you have any conflicts?

I'm planning on giving this a shot later in the week if I have the time, just curious what to look for.

Fresh install. I had a Vista and an XP partition. I do not use the XP anymore so I put the Win7 there. Even though Win 7 runs much better than Vista, I will keep the Vista Partition just in case.

Finally got a Product key. Just needed to sign up for a Microsoft Live ID.

I'm not doing a dual boot atm. I did a fresh install on my old laptop and it seems to working pretty good. Other than the fact that my old laptop still has an issue with locking up, I'm thinking it may be heat related at this point.

The whole task bar is a bit different still trying to get that adjusted to my liking. I'm also going to try to download AVGFree and install it. I want to see what happens.

On another note: I purchased a Maxtor 1TB Central Axis Server yesterday. What a DUD, wouldn't work out of the box, setup kept failing, firmware update failed. What a POS. Now I've got to find another backup device, because my old NAS died. Guess I'll have to go with a USB or FireWire setup.