Windows 7 Beta

Lunk

(edited)

it's fair to compare the two based on size. ati and nvidia are HUGE compared to creative. not to mention sound cards are much cheaper than video cards. i know creative drivers are generally horrible but expecting them to support a product 5 years old when newer better products can be had for less than 100 bucks might be a bit unreasonable.

edit - glad you're happy with your new x-fi.

Edited by Cujo

• Replies 235
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So I downloaded Windows 7. Now what? Do I need to physically burn dvd's then install, or is there a nifty way to do it that doesn't involve creating a physical copy. Oh, and use small words, I am amazingly daft at such things.

Shaftiel

yes in fairness, my issues are specific to me..

I do agree most shows can simply be watched, but I sometimes just want some background noise in my room and use it as a TV.

In my point of view, it will cost me $30 for a drive and $50-$100 for a new tuner(might as well buy a digital one) to upgrade to Win 7. At this point in time, it is not worth it. Plus, I also like using chrome and I've ran into some games that won't install, such as Age of Empires III.

Since I was having zero problems with XP, I might as well use that as my gaming system. If I am doing any sort of data manipulation, I tend to boot to my linux partition anyway.

Do not forget to try installing apps and games using compatibility mode. Try Vista first and if that doesn't work, try using XP. You may also need to run the installer as Administrator.

The Audigy 2 class of sound card should be abandoned when using Windows 7.

Any recommendations on setting up my second drive? I have very little experience with raid setups, may not even need that, I was thinking of just simply plugging it in, loading windows7 on it, then setting the boot order in the bios...can it be that simple?

Options would be appreciated!

Any recommendations on setting up my second drive? I have very little experience with raid setups, may not even need that, I was thinking of just simply plugging it in, loading windows7 on it, then setting the boot order in the bios...can it be that simple?

Options would be appreciated!

That's alls I's dids. I have 2x500gb drives, xp on one an win7 on the other.

Well, I finally found the time to install my new hard drive and windows7. So far so good, haven't played with it too much yet, but the one thing that puzzles me is that I installed my new hd and made 2 partitions, F and G. Win7 is actually installed on G, but in Win7 it shows C and D...my other hard drive is not at all visible, which kinda sucks since I wanna pull a bunch of files from there, including my Steam folder. Any ideas?

windows 7 makes a separate 200mb partition for some reason.

anyway, just installed it on my media pc and all is working fine. now all that's left is my laptop and i'll be totally windows 7.

OK...someone who is more software oriented than I help me get this straight. Cuz, I'm fittin to roll on the Win 7 train.

1. Dload from one of the supplied links. Get 3.2 GB file

2. UnRAR the file and you get ISO?

3. Get drivers (nForce, LAN, Creative, geforce) - any others?

4. Mount ISO on a dvd.

5. Install over a partition or on a clean drive.

6. No key? I have a windows live account...wth does that get me?

thanks

I plan to put this on a spare raptor in my main box. I have a 780i chipset mobo that will give me a boot menu choice at startup...so I should be good to go.

Edited by Tek-Almighty

You have to go to the real windows site to "sign up" and get a key. Also, no need for drivers pre-install unless you have a really funky network device or something. I didn't have to get any outside of windows update.

I mean, I should be using the vista 64 drivers for my vid card and x-fi and 780i chipset though, right?

Ok, once I unRAR the file from the links you guys gave I get 5 folders:

boot, efi, sources, support, upgrade

and 4 files:

bootmgr

autorun

bootmgr.efi

setup

Now I try to use nero to burn and ISO dvd of these files, by adding them, but it tells me that one of the files (install....something or other) is too large (larger than 2gb) so I will have to use the UDF file format and try another method...

ummmm...

wth...

I have only burned 2 iso disks in my life, and these were small (<600mb).

I also cannot just click "setup" and get it to install from XP.

A lil help?

^^^ what he said.

as for drivers just wait til you're in windows and figure out what's not there. unless you get windows 7 specific drivers you'll likely have to install each driver directly in device manager.

The file that you got should be an .iso file. Burn it to a disk as it is an image. Use a program like this one: http://www.imgburn.com/

Then choose the option that says "burn image file" or something like that.

Thanks and all (and I really do mean that), but you aren't following me. The links provided in this thread (and elsewhere) are RAR files. Once they are decompressed, they don't give me an .iso file...just the stuff described above.

???

Ahhhhhhhhhh!

well, got it installed on a spare raptor...interesting.

I cannot get x-fi driver to run (using latest Vista 64). Any hints on this?

Also, it recognizes my 8800GT in sli, but it is using a windows driver?

Hmmm...

Anyone try the latest geforce drivers with windows 7?

said it a few times already but if you install the drivers in device manager they'll work fine. ie. extract the drivers into folders and then go into device manager, right click on the unknown device, and click update. get to where it says have disk and navigate to your extracted folder.

well, got it installed on a spare raptor...interesting.

I cannot get x-fi driver to run (using latest Vista 64). Any hints on this?

Also, it recognizes my 8800GT in sli, but it is using a windows driver?

Hmmm...

Anyone try the latest geforce drivers with windows 7?

said it a few times already but if you install the drivers in device manager they'll work fine. ie. extract the drivers into folders and then go into device manager, right click on the unknown device, and click update. get to where it says have disk and navigate to your extracted folder.

I'm glad I pay attention. This is exactly what I did...so no chiding Cujo plz. :) :) I read threads. I should have not said "cannot get to run." I should have said "cannot get to run correctly..." Sorry. That said, still doesn't work...so any other suggestions. My stereo sound is good, but the 5.1 is screwed up.

So far for me:

Geforce 181.22 works now, Creative sorta works, RivaTuner 2.22 works, latest firefox works well, no antivirus yet (gonna try latest build of AVG free), installed Crysis Warhead and the 1.2 patch that came out yesterday...but it hangs and hard locks at level load. Also Crysis will not run @ 1920 x 1200...

Next I'm trying Bioshock.

I haven't loaded the latest Forceware drivers for my 780i chipset, I will try that next.

Edited by Tek-Almighty