Windows 7 Beta

Lunk

I was downloading source last night when I went to bed. I came back this morning to find my Computer is basically silent. I hit the power button, screen turn ON, but displays nothing. Turned it off and on a couple times and nothing happened. Finally switch the power on the power supply for about a minute and she came back to life. I needs to configure power options to my advantage.

• Replies 235
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I would really suggest not doing that. Eventually classic view is no longer being supported and by doing so you are essentially disabling all of the new features.

I also dislike having the minimize all windows on the far right... they put it on the left for XP.. which I've been using for 8 years and then decide to put it on the right. Bravo...

Windows Key + D then again to restore the windows.

I would really suggest not doing that. Eventually classic view is no longer being supported and by doing so you are essentially disabling all of the new features.

what in the world are you talking about? What new features are being disable? If it is the funny task bar and slick UI animation, I set it to classic to disable so I don't have to look at them.

So these beta versions are going to be disabled on August 1st I hear... I see this as a great marketing ploy to get you hooked in and comfortable and then 8 months later make you enter your credit card for a couple hundred bucks or you won't get your data back.. It's a brilliant scheme.

In all honesty, Windows XP works exactly the same as this. All I want is a desktop, taskbar, mouse and to be able to execute programs written for the NT kernel.. Both of them offer this. I care less about UI eye-candy. The only plus I see to using this is that it can see more RAM.

I also dislike having the minimize all windows on the far right... they put it on the left for XP.. which I've been using for 8 years and then decide to put it on the right. Bravo...

you know you're actually making your computer slower by doing this? with aeroglass you're using video card resources to move windows around but if you turn it off you're back using cpu power. aero simply makes better use of your overall system. also, many new features involve aeroglass running. such as when you hover over a window at the bottom it hides all other windows so you can see it. very cool feature imho. also, why would you even need to click that little quicklaunch icon to minimize all windows. a power user such as yourself surely knows about windows + d...

and for those complaints about lack of quicklaunch, the taskbar is basically the same thing, only better. think apple when you look at this. it's a very cool feature that i use all the time.

I am a tweaker and want the best performance out of my gaming system. I usually do not care about how it looks. I am not sure if I will need to with Windows 7. I had to do it with Vista just to get whatever performance I am currently getting. I get better performance from Win 7 without any tweaks.

On Vista at least, AeroGlass is a massive resource hog (for me anyway...I just recently got fed up with it and disabled it.

Give Windows 7 a go and see if it is still a hog. I am able to use it without a hitch and do the alt-tab from within TF2 and Source without a hitch with Aero enabled. I also have it disabled on my Vista because of the sluggishness of it.

You guys just using vista64 drivers or what?

I used the default drivers for everything except what I listed above.

I used the custom Creative drivers to fix my sound issues with my sound and I installed the Vista ATI drivers so I could use the ATI driver control panel. Let me add that the sound issues I also had in Vista. Creative never intends to update drivers for slightly older sound cards for Vista or Windows 7. They intentionally cripple features and force you to buy a new sound card.

Edited by ZeroDamage

the taskbar is basically the same thing, only better. think apple when you look at this. it's a very cool feature that i use all the time.

*print screen*

i feel like this mac/windows chasm just got a little smaller. hugs all around.

my only hesitation with trying to run Windows 7 on any of my comps at the moment is the fact that it "expires" in August. What happens then? I've never been a beta guy before so I'm not sure how it works but would love to try it out. If they are in fact going to be releasing Windows 7 in August and I just need to purchase a copy, then I may very well consider doing that.

I've been OK with Vista on my laptop. It's been getting slightly sluggish of late, but I rely so heavily on it for work that having a beta version OS that I may or may not be able to continue to use in 8 months is a little scary.

I cannot remember the name of it but Windows 7 has a "Time Machine" sort of thing for backups. Plus, there is the backup feature built into it like there is in Vista. You could use one or both of these features and then do a fresh install of the none beta (which you will want to do anyway at this point) and then do a restore of your data. I do not think it would be too much of a problem to be honest.

I'm not so much worried about data backup since I already have a backup solution for my really important stuff. I guess I just wouldn't want to migrate to this new Windows then have the rug pulled and have to go back to Vista in August. I'm just curious how the ending of the beta is handled.

again, plenty of time for ms to screw things up ;)

i'd like to think that if a public version isn't available by aug 1, expiration will be extended. i'd like to think what ms is doing is trying to embrace the early adopters (the "scheme" .fx was talking about), bymaking an uninterrupted roadmap between 7 beta and 7 gold. if for some reason they don't do that - that has the potential to be a major, major pr-backlash. think the brand can afford another mojave/seinfeld marketing campaign? i'd bet folks at apple hq would love to see them try ;)

again, plenty of time for ms to screw things up ;)

i'd like to think that if a public version isn't available by aug 1, expiration will be extended. i'd like to think what ms is doing is trying to embrace the early adopters (the "scheme" .fx was talking about), bymaking an uninterrupted roadmap between 7 beta and 7 gold. if for some reason they don't do that - that has the potential to be a major, major pr-backlash. think the brand can afford another mojave/seinfeld marketing campaign? i'd bet folks at apple hq would love to see them try ;)

That is true but I think they learned from the Vista ME mistakes. Vista betas were horrid. They were worse than the actual RTM release of Vista if you can believe that. I do not foresee MS doing anything overly drastic to Windows 7 at this point.

You guys just using vista64 drivers or what?

I used the default drivers for everything except what I listed above.

I used the custom Creative drivers to fix my sound issues with my sound and I installed the Vista ATI drivers so I could use the ATI driver control panel. Let me add that the sound issues I also had in Vista. Creative never intends to update drivers for slightly older sound cards for Vista or Windows 7. They intentionally cripple features and force you to buy a new sound card.

i'm using the ati windows 7 beta drivers. control panel works, overdrive works, in fact nothing really doesn't work.

for x-fi sound i'm just using the latest vista drivers but i installed manually in device manager. everything works perfectly in css and watching vids or listening to music. haven't tried optical out yet but i don't use it on this comp anyway right now.

oh and my scanner is working just fine with vista drivers again installed manually in device manager. the only drivers i don't have installed are the smbus drivers and i'm just going to wait til intel releases new ones.

alt-tabbing from css is INSTANT and tabbing back in takes about 2 seconds.

can i add i haven't had a single driver crash or really any crash aside from the hl2 crash that always happens. this windows 7 release might as well be final. i'm still waiting for the first problem at this point. if they delay it til christmas next year i'll be upset. as far as i'm concerned this could be released in a couple months and people would be happier with it than they ever were with vista.

I believe that in Vista Aeroglass was an additional process so it took resources to run it, and in Windows 7 it is a native kernel feature. I will check with MS to confirm (probably know in a day or so). If that is the case then running classic mode would mean all it is doing is wrapping a classic UI over aeroglass so you wouldn't be getting anything performance wise.

I used the XP64 beta and when it expired it simply had a notice that came up every time you logged into the PC that said you were not using a legit copy of windows. I still could do everything like before it just would pop up now and then with the message window. If you plan to stick with win 7 then you will need to purchase a key at the end of the beta or reinstall vista or XP. My suggestion is that if you are worried about it you shouldn't even bother with the beta test. If you are planning on getting win7 then go for it, if not what is your motivation to use it? If you just want to be part of this discussion that's a little silly IMO.

Downloaded and got an access key tonight, not sure when or on what pc I will run it on yet....I feel I should run it on my gaming rig to get true test, but I am so not looking forward to re-installing my games...especially the steam downloads :(

I will have to format and do a clean install since I am running XP on everything except my newer laptop...maybe I can talk myself into it by the weekend, lol.

Downloaded and got an access key tonight, not sure when or on what pc I will run it on yet....I feel I should run it on my gaming rig to get true test, but I am so not looking forward to re-installing my games...especially the steam downloads :(

I will have to format and do a clean install since I am running XP on everything except my newer laptop...maybe I can talk myself into it by the weekend, lol.

You do not need to reinstall your Steam downloads. Just backup your steam folder to another drive in its entirety. It will probably be many Gigs large depending on how many games you have installed. Then install Windows 7. When you are ready, all you have to do is create a shortcut on your desktop for the Steam application and then run it. Steam doesn't do registry entries like most Windows applications. You can move it all around without worry which makes backing it up even more useful.