Windows 7 RC

I figured I'd start a new RC thread to replace the beta since it got quite long.

So, I have learned that Alienware puts out great systems but COMPLETELY FAILS TO SUPPORT THEM AFTER LAUNCH. :unsure:

I have a Turion 64 chip in here (which was advertised BY Alienware to be sweet because it was 64 bit) and there are ZERO 64-bit drivers for this computer. Literally none (except a beta driver direct from nVidia).

When I first installed the Windows 7 RC, I tried the 64 bit edition on this laptop. No dice. I couldn't get sound (though I managed to get everything else set up) and the video was messed up. After I'd log-in (after installing the video drivers), power to my LCD was cut off. I could put the computer in standby then bring it back, at which point, the monitor would work...but my keyboard would not. Yeah...pretty lame.

So then I installed the 32 bit version--all the Vista drivers worked fine, but I had the SAME problem with the video. Pretty annoying, so I've given up on it for now in hopes that they will come out with a GO 7900 GS Windows 7 driver for this thing from nVidia.

I am considering throwing the 64-bit RC on my desktop though...I know they have 64 bit Windows 7 drivers on nVidia's page for the 8-series card (desktop has the 8800 GTX), so that SHOULD work. We'll see.

So, I have learned that Alienware puts out great systems but COMPLETELY FAILS TO SUPPORT THEM AFTER LAUNCH. :unsure:

you're surprised by this? i've found most big name companies are very irresponsible when it comes to driver support. most will put out the initial drivers and never update them. they just want you to buy new product.

have you tried vista64 drivers? extract them to a folder and then install them through device manager.

by comparison my asus laptop that came with a xp pro to vista upgrade has a full set of vista32 drivers but not much in the way of 64bit ones. most of the 32bit drivers were released shortly after vista in 2007 with no updates since.

you're generally on your own with driver support for things that didn't exist when you purchased. that said, you should be able to find drivers to make your stuff go. just figure out what the physical components are and then search other places. don't expect the oems to keep up to date.

I just built out a new HTPC yesterday, and put 7RC on it. Everything is working great, it recognized the HDMI output for both audio and video without having to do any driver installs. Same with the USB wifi.

edit: Core2Duo 64 bit, intel mini-itx board -w- onboard HDMI, 64 bit 7RC

Edited by ilovetomatoes

GTX 260

4GB Ram

E8500

Asus Mobo

Creative X-Fi Sound Card

Windows RC 7 recognized all components and has been running on my comp for the past 2 weeks perfectly, no driver install needed. I really like it, dont know why I would switch back to XP.

EVGA 780i SLI

2x 8800GT

4G ddr2 800

E8400

X-Fi Xtremegamer

No dirvers except for the Sound card which came out with a Beta driver right before the release I believe. No problems at all.

I did try the latest NVidia Beta Drivers and they are massively broken. Will wait for the next batch to come out.

All games programs working like a charm.

so are ya guys using the RC as your main OS now or are ya'll multi? thinkin of replacin my vista 64x prem. w/ it; jus wondering if I do, i'll have to reinstall all my programs again such as all the adobe programs, anyone know if i do?

ATI 4870 X2

ASUS P5N32-E SLI Plus motherboard

4GB DDR2

Intel E8400

X-Fi Extreme Gamer

Everything detects out of the box, even the Hybrid motherboard except the sound card. Creative's beta drivers for Win7 work like a charm. ATI's drivers work flawlessly and I haven't experienced any BSOD's with the RC as of yet. Boots in about 17 seconds after BIOS screen / POST.

so are ya guys using the RC as your main OS now or are ya'll multi? thinkin of replacin my vista 64x prem. w/ it; jus wondering if I do, i'll have to reinstall all my programs again such as all the adobe programs, anyone know if i do?

i am both on my media centre and my main rig. my dad is using it on his main computer. he came from xp. so far he likes it except he's had to compatibility mode install a few of his legacy programs. as far as he's told me he's got most everything up and running.

i believe you can upgrade from vista to 7 fairly seamlessly. i went from beta to rc pretty easily. just had to re-install my sound driver.

I have it as my main OS and after a few days of tweeking am very pleased with it.

what about as for your programs? were they all able to work fine as well? cuz i have alot photoshop cs3, macromedia and what not, and i jus wanna make sure they all work before i replace vista 64x w/ w7 64x

i am both on my media centre and my main rig. my dad is using it on his main computer. he came from xp. so far he likes it except he's had to compatibility mode install a few of his legacy programs. as far as he's told me he's got most everything up and running.

i believe you can upgrade from vista to 7 fairly seamlessly. i went from beta to rc pretty easily. just had to re-install my sound driver.

how would i go about upgrading to w7 frm vista?

It is never a great idea to upgrade, it is always best to start from a fresh install on a newly formatted partition. The only issue I have had that wasn't my fault was with the video drivers from ATI and the problem I have is disabling the secondary display. You can do it through windows but not with the CCC. After a few weeks I can see only one drawback, you have to buy it next year in June or it will shut off every 2 hours.

I have it as my main OS and after a few days of tweeking am very pleased with it.

what about as for your programs? were they all able to work fine as well? cuz i have alot photoshop cs3, macromedia and what not, and i jus wanna make sure they all work before i replace vista 64x w/ w7 64x

If you are using a production computer with Vista for work type of stuff and using Photoshop and the like, then I would not install Windows 7. I think Windows 7 is much better than Vista but it is not official production and should not be used as such.

• 2 weeks later...

? Has anyone removed the watermark without compromising system stability. The only reason I ask is now that my task bar is at the the top and hidden the watermark at the bottom right of my screen is a little annoying.

? Has anyone removed the watermark without compromising system stability. The only reason I ask is now that my task bar is at the the top and hidden the watermark at the bottom right of my screen is a little annoying.

Put it back at the bottom where it belongs and quit whining lol

Put it back at the bottom where it belongs and quit whining lol

:biglaugha::biglaugha::biglaugha:

Actually I havnt tried getting rid of it. I have read a few things as to how to do it, and for what it involves I have deemed it unessesary.

It is never a great idea to upgrade, it is always best to start from a fresh install on a newly formatted partition. The only issue I have had that wasn't my fault was with the video drivers from ATI and the problem I have is disabling the secondary display. You can do it through windows but not with the CCC. After a few weeks I can see only one drawback, you have to buy it next year in June or it will shut off every 2 hours.

newest drivers for ATI has fixed my issue now fyi. so now CCC is fully functional for the 4870s

I REALLY want to give Windows 7 a spin, but I only have one computer (this laptop), and I use it for work and home. Messing with my ability to do my job with the adobe suites is probably not a smart idea. :( I'd love to be able to afford a second comp so I can have one for one and one to mess around with.

(edited)

Using latest NVidia drivers w/ SLI enabled, my screen starts shacking and wiggling when I get flashbang'd in CS:S. Anyone else have this problem? This does not exist when I turn Off SLI.

(185.85)

Edited by NorgmaN

(edited)
Using latest NVidia drivers w/ SLI enabled, my screen starts shacking and wiggling when I get flashbang'd in CS:S. Anyone else have this problem? This does not exist when I turn Off SLI.

(185.85)

same exact problem with crossfire. i've just learned to live with it. strange that it effects both nvidia and ati. glad to know. obviously it's a windows 7 issue.

btw, it only started since rc1. i've only tried cat 9.5 also.

Edited by Cujo

I've had that issue ever since I went with my Crossfire based X2 card. Even when I had Vista.

Speaking of Vista, the SP2 update makes Vista usable as a gaming OS now I think. If my Win7 install died right now, I would reinstall Vista and wait for Win7 to be official.