What would you do?

NOFX

As you can see by My house thread the time has come. I had forgotten that I had really been planning on doing this well over a year ago. My lease ends Oct 1st, but I think I'm going to extend it to do the end of the year, just to bank a few extra bucks and maybe do some traveling for work. Dec 31st, I estimate I'll have about 20k in the bank. I have no bills and a newer car with low miles, so very little maintenance is expected vehicle wise. I also have an unlimited credit card for what it's worth, if I really needed it. I sold most of my possessions last year, but I still have a bedroom full of stuff I can store at my family's place.

So I'm pretty sure I'm going to do it. I've got to move out of this area. I really don't like it down here. It's sort of a scary feeling just thinking about leaving a good secure job, but it's something I feel like I got to do. I can just feel the 9-5 corporate world sucking the life out of me every day. I'm probably going to move back down to Southwestern Virginia, but first, I'm going to take a break from office space for a while. I figure I have 5 years as a programmer, my future employment looks pretty good. I have the ability to do something really cool and I feel like I need to jump on the opportunity while I can. Here's a couple ideas I have before I decide to reenter the work force.

-I'd really like to pick up another motorcycle and ride across the country, but seeing how I'm going to start this in December, it might be too cold for that.

-Just take the road trip in my car. I'm into backpacking. So I think it would be cool to check out as many parks as possible. Any traveling I do, I do it with no plans. My idea of traveling is just winging it. You always have the most fun.

-Getting a part time job at a ski resort, so I get a season pass and can snowboard all winter.

-Take one hell of a round the world trip. This would burn through my savings fast though.

Anyone have any ideas? I have about 4 or 5 months before this and I want to be prepared.

-Getting a part time job at a ski resort, so I get a season pass and can snowboard all winter.

do this, and go to north lake tahoe. work at alpine meadows or squaw valley (free employee passes). doesn't pay well, but it's one heck of a way to spend a winter (or 5).

let me know if you want details. i still have plenty of connections out there that could help on the housing or employment front.

(edited)

haha I've read that before, but my Tc isn't quite a lambo. I was thinking more about doing something like that on a motorcycle.

do this, and go to north lake tahoe. work at alpine meadows or squaw valley (free employee passes). doesn't pay well, but it's one heck of a way to spend a winter (or 5).

let me know if you want details. i still have plenty of connections out there that could help on the housing or employment front.

Hey man, hook me up with some more info on this. I got friends at a resort on the east coast, but Im not really feeling WV. My old roommate is out in Breck and I was talking to him about it the other day about it, but Tahoe seems like a much cooler spot.

Edited by .fx

I did that in summit county for 2 winters.. (my dad has had a ski shop on the east coast for 30 years.. so its always been something i wanted to do)... I lived in Dillon, skied breck,a-basin, keystone, copper, vail, and bc every day..

you're better off going to tahoe, jackson, any other resort in the northwest, or even utah.. seriously..

If i had to do it again.. i'd go to BC.. for some obvious reasons..

shoot me an email if you want to talk more about it.

I'd vote for the part-time job out west in ski country. You wouldn't be burning through your savings like you would going around the world, and still would get to live the dream of skiing and doing whatever the hell you feel like out west. Win-win.

• 10 months later...
(edited)

OK.. Here I am. 10 months later. I'm still working the same 9-5. The only bonus is that I have about 30k in the bank account and a few more shares in my 401k. I've been doing 3 month leases and this time it ends in July. So here I am again, what to do?? Instead of just walk away from work, I've been talking to management and I've all but officially been cleared to take two months off of work. Unpaid for what vacation I don't have.

I'm already in the process of selling what remaining useless stuff I have. When my lease is up, I'll be moving the few essentials into my parents basement w a room/office setup. Part time, I'll be looking for a job in an area of the country where I want to live. I already had a phone interview with Va Tech and hoping for a second. Full time, I'll be mountain biking, hiking and camping. I already got plane tickets to take my dad backpacking on the John Muir trail out in Yosemite. He's in his mid 60's, so that's something I have to do. Other than that, I'll just be hanging with old friends and generally enjoying my summer.

I'm leaving my doors open for the possibility of not coming back. Maybe I'll find a better job? Maybe I'll realize that my freedom while being young is worth more than the 9-5? Maybe I'll be ready to come back. Who knows? If do come back, I'm bringing nothing with me, but a car and a blow up mattress.

when a man losses everything he is free to do anything

I'm ready for an adventure :peace:

Edited by NOFX

You said you're a programmer? Why not ditch the 9-5 when you get back and become a freelance programmer and work from home? There is PLENTY of need out there, though I'm not sure what programming you do. Naturally, some types are more in demand than others, and some are better suited to an individual freelancer than others. I know website programming, for example, is in very high demand on freelance sites like Guru.com and Elance.com. I guess website back-end stuff is mostly PHP? I'm not too hip on the languages.

I'm a freelance writer--mostly copywriting, but creative writing too. I use those two sites, and I really can't imagine going back to the 9-5 grind, even though it's sometimes a roller coaster ride.

Just a thought, since you are in transition. Have fun during the summer, I'm sure you've earned it.

Also while you have cash, time and a lack of ties you may want to take a world tour and see other countries. I don't know your interests but it gets very hard to travel the world when you have a job and family.

You want a real adventure? Try finding someone you love and marrying them. So begins the adventure.

post of the year

let me know where I should send the prize $

lol. My paypal is fine. But this was meant to be funny and serious, with just getting married a couple weeks ago, life is going to be a huge adventure from now on knowing its not just me in any decisions or plans. Didn't mean to stray from the topic, back to NOFX cruising around the world and blowing through money for a once in a lifetime opportunity :P

(edited)

I'm sure a marriage would be an adventure. I've been in plenty of relationships and I have that one relationship where I look back and say that I wished I wouldn't have let her go, so it makes me a little pessimistic about it right now... When I meet the right girl, I'll go down that path. But first, I have a few more things I need to check out solo.

I do have tentative plans made up to backpack across Europe. I don't think I'll be able to squeeze it in this round. Just music festivals and hiking. If I do decide to come back to work at the same place. I'll be heading to Singapore almost immediately. Last time I took a side adventure to Malaysia. If they will give me anymore off time without pay, I'm going to do a tour in New Zealand.

Edited by NOFX

'FX I would look at doing a world tour also, but from recalling a post that you made a few years ago about spending a little time in Western Europe you have already seen a little. Being an ex patriot myself over the last 5 years or so living in China for almost two years, Mexico for six months, and the UK for awhile in which I did some traveling. But the far east is a different story, you need to spend some significant time out there before you can truly appreciate the culture, for me it was a significant culture change (all of the ex pats over there said the same), that is why when anyone asks me "hey I have a few weeks vacation and would like to go to China", and I say "don't bother you need at least three weeks to get acclimated.", "Make it a 8 week vacation then you will appreciate it". Type thing...

Now with that said I would appreciate what the US has to offer. I know I'm contradicting my previous statement here, but the US is where it's at. Western Europe is one thing, but going to a Middle East, an African Country (aside from Maybe South Africa), and the far East are different stories unless you have A lot of disposable income. However Australia would be fun like west Europe if you will. I intended on going there when I was in China but couldn't make it happen, but the guy's I worked with that did loved it.

Now being in a similar situation that you are in now 6 months ago (with a lot of money saved up), I asked the Michigan based company that I was working for that I needed a transfer out of Mexico because it was becoming very unsafe. I witnessed two gun fights outside a hotel I was staying at, every time I would fly out I had a security detail pick me up in the little gated community I was living at. They would back up to my apartment have get in back of a Suburban while they were packing heat just to take me down the road to Monterrey airport.

When I got back state side the company I was working for laid me off stating they didn't have a position for me here in Michigan. I knew that was going to happen, so I went and stayed with my elderly grandparents to help my dad take care of the farm that has been in the family since 1953.

I did that and my grandparents bought and moved into a nice little lake condo on a lake in my hometown to spend the rest of there years.

I then took the money I saved up and bought a nice little lake cabin on a lake chain in Norther Michigan and haven't regretted it. I absolutely love it up here, it reminds me of the day's when I was in my late 20's living in NW Minnesota. The fishing is fantastic and that's what I'm into.

Then in a months time I received a phone call from a recruiter about a position that has opened up in a town that is an hour away from my home town. After a few interviews I got my dream job, and now I have nice little weekend cabin up north.

Good Luck man,

Just thought it was worthwhile sharing my little story..

I guess you posted before I finished writing my long winded post. IMO if you get the extra time off I would be all over New Zealand. Just curious what about Singapore intrigues you?

Thanks a lot for sharing your story Bush. It's kind of inspirational. I'm actually going to be moving my stuff into my elderly grandparents house and spliting the time between staying with them and my father. We have a farm that has been in the family since the 1920's that I've always wanted to put a small cabin on. Since I'm an only child, I want to stay closer to home to make sure everything stays in check. As of now, my only plan is to take my father out to the Pacific Crest Trail. If I am enjoying my freedom, I may go see more of Europe. About 4-5 years ago I got to spend a month or so in various parts of Norway. I'd like to spend a month riding the rail around Europe.

There are a few cities within an hour of my home town that I will be looking at for jobs while I'm on break. They aren't huge tech area's, but I'm sure if I keep trying, I can find something.

I go to Singapore for work.. I don't really like Singapore and would hate to live there, but travelling to the other side of the world on the companies dime is OK with me. Plus, I get paid about double when I travel. These are all good perks to the job. It's also pretty slack, but I'm completely burned out. I'm not learning anything new and I'm just trading time for dollars. I just got to do something new.

• 2 months later...

This week is my first week back to work from a 7 week haitus. A few of the many things I did was backpack on the west coast, go to Canada, backpacked and hiked in NC and parts of the AT and went to one kick donkey bluegrass festival. I slept in a bed a total of 3 nights the entire time. Most was in my tent or hammock and a few were on an air mattress. Having no idea what day it was at any given time was a great feeling.

So it's my first week back and I can already feel the place taking my soul. I have been in the office for 3 full days and I have done absolutely nothing. I'm a software engineer, I'd love to have an assignment and put my skills to use. I asked for work today and I was told to look into this one bug.. thats it, extremely lame. I'm also going to be doing nothing but helping out the guys who do all the testing.

I felt great being outdoors and in shape, I even rode my mountain bike 50 miles on the new river trail one day, just to see if I could make it. Then I come down here, all my stuff is in storage I'm sleeping on my friends couch and it takes me an hour to get to and from work in rush hour, when it should only take 15 minutes. I've never driven it that stuff.. It totally blows, I don't see how people do it.

I had tons of companies get back to me about all the applications I put in. I was informed I was supposed to go to Singapore next week, I wanted to go, so I ended up blowing everyone off.. except Google, I told them I'd get back to them when my vacation was over.

I'm moving into one of these furnished extended stays studios for a month. Its right beside work, cheaper than renting a one bedroom, someone comes and cleans the place once a week and there is no power/water bill.

I'm not sure what my next move is, but I don't think I can hold out down here much longer. I was thinking wait until the end of the year, let my vacation reset and then roll out with an extra months pay, but I don't know if I can make it. The only reason I came back was because I thought I was going to Singapore next week. For certain reason I got to stay in the area for at least the middle of October and then I'm free game. I wish it wasn't getting cold soon, I think I'd try to hike the whole AT.

I will give my story one of these days. I am proud to say that I am one of those few who are doing better than I ever have before despite the economy and the moron running the white house. No worries, not getting into politics, just tossing out my opinion on the matter. My wife finished school and is doing really well with her new job making what I was making before the move. I am making double what I was making before so we are doing really well. Yet I cannot help but feel a little bit sad and distressed about so many people being screwed over by this government. Sometimes it feels like I am living in an episode of the Twilight Zone and at any minute I am going to see a troll outside my house tearing up stuff.

Not only did all the time I spent at the university taking every training class I could and getting the certs paid off but so did acquiring my bachelors during that time. I got my hands into a lot of different things IT related as well as met some great people. I got a chance to meet Dweezil and we even made a trip together in 2008 or 2009 for VI's last Lan Party. I then got lucky with the company I interviewed with. My boss is a great guy and we get along really well but also I am really getting into this SharePoint stuff and am enjoying it a great deal right now. I do miss being involved with Linux and IT Security a great deal and I still follow the stuff a lot but I am content with what I am doing now.

So why can't others be so fortunate? Why must the government and the politicians screw things up so f'n bad!! Why must others go through the poop that they are going through? I went through it between 2001 and 2007 and I include the self-employment stuff because it was dead-end and inconsistent.

I do not know where I am going with this now so I guess I will end it here. NOFX, find something that you enjoy doing and it will not be a job. It sounds like you enjoy software development stuff. Riot Games is hiring a lot of people right now. They are a gaming company in the LA area. I turned down the position with them back in April because the move of the family would have been too much. As a single guy you will have it made and they are SUPER BUSY so there will be no lack of work. Give them a look and good luck if you do. They seem like a great company and sometimes I wish I were single so taking a job like that would be more possible. If you are still with that pretty girl, take her with you. I remember when I got that PS3 from you for my video card and your girlfriend made the swap with me in C-burg. Seemed like a sweet girl. Good luck dude. Do not let your current job drag you down.

Edited by ZeroDamage

The reasons so many people cant be as fortunate is exactly what you said half way through. You got lucky. Not to downplay your education, its the reason you have the job your in now, but in the end its all luck and who you know.

Sadly I've been finding this out more in my adult life as I see my wife, who has a bachelors degree, be forced to work at a bookstore, with people she hates, doing stuff she hates, that has nothing to do with her degree she studied in.Just because she can't land a job anywhere that makes any better money and we cant afford her to stop working.

Edited by samurai nightling