Tips from Lan Veterans

Fatty

Whether it was Fr4gF3st last year or not, LAN veterans always have tips for the newbies. Serious replies only.

Here's mine (tipped to me by Mini last year, and saved me some serious hassle)

1. UNSHARE ALL YOUR DRIVES, FOLDERS, ETC before you plug into the LAN

Make sure you bring ANY AND ALL Software that you will use. Including Windows. If you don't your system WILL die and will need to be reloaded.

Bring your own computer chair......you will be sooo happy in the end for this one.

Bring HEADPHONES WITH MIC!!!!!

Bring any kind of medicine you need (Tylenol, Advil, etc.....) hangovers suck LOL

Label everything!!!!

That's all i can think of right now......post more later LOL

Don't decide to make some minor "configuration" change immediately prior to heading for the LAN. They usually blow up in your face (I swapped cases with a guy at the last LAN and the PS he got wasn't good enough to power his mobo).

ILL SAY THIS NOW, YOUR MACHINE WILL NOT BE PLUGGED INTO THE MAIN LAN UNTIL AFTER ITS SCANNED OR YOU PROVE (WITH LOGS) THAT YOU SCANNED IT WITH THE LATEST DEFS THE DAY BEFORE

hrm..can i just install whatever virus software someone brings once i get there and take care of this issue in 5 minutes? I have no virus anything right now and dont plan on installing any until the lan just to clear my name so i can hook up to lan. lemme know, thnx

If you smoke, bring more. (extra lighter too)

MOUSEPAD

phillips screwdriver (can you ever have too many?)

flashlight of some sort (I always need one, and never have one :()

Power strip (people always forget 'em)

If you have some stuff you want to sell (computer stuff), chances are somebody will want to buy it

Alarm clock

camera (B4 the digi cam I always forgot my camera...go figure)

No matter how cold/warm it is supposed to be, bring at least one change of clothes for opposite weather conditions.

And one final tip: If Dweez is there, and you feel like getting wasted and "skating" on a frozen pool, listen to him when he says "Don't get on that frozen pool!" If you don't, you're gonna get smacked.

Guest Smoke
Guest Smoke
Guest Smoke
Guests

I don't like anti virus software, it has a nasty way of causing computer problems.

I use housecall.antivirus.com <--- it is greater

Smoke, I have no clue what you are talking about. I use Norton's Antivirus Corporate Edition (I get it through work) and it is awesome. When I play online games I turn off the Realtime File Protection (as easy as a clicking the systray).

A/V software is like a seatbelt. It might be annoying at first but once you get used to it you love it and feel weird without it.

Guest Smoke
Guest Smoke
Guest Smoke
Guests

dunno after computer support and my own experiences, I've found that most anti-virus software has underlying badness. I figure just watching what your doing is the best anti-virus software.

and for what u may miss. housecall.antivirus.com

Guest TeKNiK
Guest TeKNiK
Guest TeKNiK
Guests

Just downloaded Norton SystemWorks Pro 2k3. I'll bring to lan if anyone needs it to be installed ;) .

dunno after computer support and my own experiences, I've found that most anti-virus software has underlying badness. I figure just watching what your doing is the best anti-virus software.

and for what u may miss. housecall.antivirus.com

I don't use it either man. It's just a pain in the dizzonkey. I just back up regularly on diff. drives, and I format so often anyway, if I had a virus I probably wouldn't know it ;)

Guest Smoke
Guest Smoke
Guest Smoke
Guests

i'm doing my first format ever on this computer next week, up time has been 2+years.

like I said, watching what your doing is the best anti-virus software

(edited)

anti-virus software sucks, it just hogs my memory and slows my system down. I find it worthless, if your dumb enough to fall for somethign and install a virus then i guess you should have it, If for some reason I accidnetly install one, no big prob, I really dont find it all that difficult to to spend < 2 hours on a format and an install. Well...unles it was really nasty and somehow infected my other HD which is just my file driver(now that would kinda suck), but then again I've been on the internet since 9th grade...hrmm thats 6 years and I never installed virsus by accident.

Why do we have to turn file-sharing off? I'm sure some of you guys would like some warez/progs that I have

Edited by NOFX

One, the best practice is smart-computering (or whatever) COUPLED with proper security programs. Protecting yourself with layers is always good.

Second, by "turn off file-sharing", I am sure m0m means the MS File and Print Sharing. A lot of virii/worms propogate themselves via this.

Third, a good A/V program sits in the background and hardly uses any resources unless necessary. Mine is currently using about 4MB of my 512MB of RAM and 0 CPU utilization.

On the subject, a good spyware detector is a good thing to have as well. I currently use Spybot S&D...very nice product.