Buy plugin rewrite

crasx

Hi everyone

I decided to jump into a buy plugin full rewrite. The functionality will be the same (with some additions), I will just be making a more efficient way of storing information. It will also be compiled into modules that can be reloaded and modified without players losing points. So instead of having one file with 10,000 lines of code it will be spread over a few different files.

Some notable changes I am planning:

• adding buy argument so you can type !buy fireworkcrate (no more crazy menu binds)
  • statistics tracking- round times, scores, most played maps
  • new ranking based off points, also monthly ranks
  • !np and !sp reworking that will prevent oversending points
  • (maybe) buy items for other people. ie: !buy crasx heal
  • new achievements

so, what I need from you all is ideas for the buy plugin. rewriting everything means I have a chance to add or change core functionality. are there any changes you've wanted to see with the buy plugin or any crazy ideas you have?

Also feel free to contribute to the achievements thread and let me know if you want to help test as I go along. maybe I will setup a bug tracker.

you can follow the progress here

GC Alumni

Is it possible you can somehow make it where when a player crashes and rejoins the server before the round ends, can he/she get their points back that they had before?

thats a good idea

I also need to think about clearing points when switching teams

There was already a suggestion before about admins being able to force heal people and I explained there why I think its a bad idea.

I appreciate all the work thats gone into the buy plugin but one thing Ive noticed with stuff like this is the tendency to take it as far as it can go. Lets try not to let things get bloated and distracting from the core gameplay.

If you do allow something of the sort like healing other players with !heal you would have to have some sort of cooldown for it, because if three people all type !heal <soandso> without noticing the others typed it, all three would lose points for just one heal, no?

I'm assuming there would be redundancies to prevent this.

what do you think about only getting tank points if you injure the tank?

I like this idea, too often people don't shoot the tank cause they are scared. You must do a certain base damage to get the 2 points. I would like to see it given a shot.

EDIT:

200-300 damage you think?

Edited by BlackYoshi

No - enough messing around with the points - the tank has a distinct lack of ability : all too often the scripted tank spawns in at ridiculous places e.g. it's so far away that by the time it reaches the survivors, it's dead; or as in 1st round of Dead Centre, it spawns below the elevator that it's impossible to do anything with it.

Added to that, with continuous bile and fire being thrown at it, it doesn't last long. I know there are exceptions when people have enough points for 3 or 4 heals, but this is very rare.

Survivors don't need more points for killing tanks, they get enough points as it.

Hi everyone

I decided to jump into a buy plugin full rewrite. The functionality will be the same (with some additions), I will just be making a more efficient way of storing information. It will also be compiled into modules that can be reloaded and modified without players losing points. So instead of having one file with 10,000 lines of code it will be spread over a few different files.

Some notable changes I am planning:

• adding buy argument so you can type !buy fireworkcrate (no more crazy menu binds)
  • statistics tracking- round times, scores, most played maps
  • new ranking based off points, also monthly ranks
  • !np and !sp reworking that will prevent oversending points
  • (maybe) buy items for other people. ie: !buy crasx heal
  • new achievements

so, what I need from you all is ideas for the buy plugin. rewriting everything means I have a chance to add or change core functionality. are there any changes you've wanted to see with the buy plugin or any crazy ideas you have?

Also feel free to contribute to the achievements thread and let me know if you want to help test as I go along. maybe I will setup a bug tracker.

you can follow the progress here

NO MORE CHANGES

• Like 1

GC Alumni

well thats one for no changes.

I think it would be cool to at least have some type of statistical information so we can see a map by map breakdown of score and point earnings. That could also tell us which team may need more strength/point availability.

Any specific reason you are against changes?

I agree with Maestro on this one, two points is fair enough for killing a tank, since 10 survivors shooting at it will kill it fast, but I was thinking of maybe doing something else for the tank points.

Maybe the guy who gets the killing blow gets +2 and everyone else gets "Tank Assist" Points depending on how much they did? Kinda like the other special infected? Because he is considered a special infected as well, just like the others, he is just bigger. I don't know, just a thought, because some people will just kite the tank and let their teammates kill it and get two points for doing nothing. It doesn't seem right to me but, eh oh well.

Edited by MurderinClony

GC Alumni

yea makes sense.

idea which will be challenging: buy stats tracked via database

ie: track how often people buy ci limits or tanks... or heals and healthpacks (all purchasable)

btw status update: survivor buy and earn are about 90% done, currently working on infected buy then will do some refractoring, infected earn and database stuff. the ultimate goal is to have a rank system based off points instead of random stuff nobody really gets. I will also rewrite scramble to be based off this leaderboard

also, monthly ranks. With my new job I really only have time to code on the weekends so it may be a while.

• Like 1

GC Alumni

yea I'm not planning a ton of changes, the old achievements will be there and the menus work the same. the main things will be what I listed and a couple achievements

ie: I have 3 levels of untouchable

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
GC Server Admin
(edited)

Bots earning points, Absolutely not - they maybe stupid, but they aimbot and do probably amass amount a good deal of points.

However, there are 3 points in this:

1) Are you going to program bots to use the !buy, !sp etc., menu, if that is not feasible, then it is pointless in giving them points.

2) If BOTS are kept alive through (let's say) 75% of a map; then an expert player comes in and takes control of that bot, do they get the points?

3) If survivor bots get points, then so must infected, if that's not possible, then infected need upgraded to balance : eg: double tank health,, let smokers walk, boomer slaps, allow jockey jumps etc this is a crazy idea IMHO.

STOP MAKING THE POINTS SYSTEM MORE COMPLICATED - LET'S GET BACK TO BASICS PLEASE : WE DON'T NEED ANYMORE ADDITIONS TO THE SYSTEM

Let us get used to being back to 'normal' please.

This server stands above all servers, it's one of the reasons I have remained a member and became an Admin, because I valued the simplicity, and that is what makes this server the best.

Edited by MPG1770
  • Like 1