Just wanted to say...

crasx

Bro, I would have totally gone, if I had some money, but I have so much crap on my plate to pay for, I don't have the money to buy and or travel up there, let alone the time to take off from my job I just started less than a month ago. And with college coming up and my own tuition to pay for, I have to save and can't waste much at all, sorry man but I would have loved to have gone. But I love the L4D2 servers, mainly because its clean and encourages teamwork, I love the community there because of that.

• Like 1

Keep in mind, he was probably drunk when he posted that. But there is a germ of a point there. GC has *never* had as many contributing members as it has had with the L4D2 server.

Seems like it would be a far easier thing to get at least a few of those deaders together once a year.

• Like 1

I have an autistic kid to take care of on my own so going, even if it were in the same town as I am, just isn't possible. But hey if you wanna send a couple thousand bucks my way next year to hire a professional to take care of him and for me to travel up there, then maybe I could. But as I don't see anyone doing that, it just isn't going to happen.

I have an autistic kid to take care of on my own so going, even if it were in the same town as I am, just isn't possible. But hey if you wanna send a couple thousand bucks my way next year to hire a professional to take care of him and for me to travel up there, then maybe I could. But as I don't see anyone doing that, it just isn't going to happen.

I wasn't trying to scold anyone - this community has seen it's fair share of surprising deaths, health, medical, etc... all of which lead to people not being able to do x, y or z with GC. It's just something I'd like to wrap my head around, the fact that we are so much bigger than we've ever been but getting people together seems much more difficult than it was in the past.

GC Alumni

yea drunk angry post. sorry to be so mean, I just wish there were more l4d2 people here. Then I jumped on the l4d2 server and people were misbehaving and stuff

still ♥ u all

(edited)

I have not been able to go yet because:
A. It's way too far away.  I live in AZ, and ohio is a $730 flight.

B. The cost is too much...not just the LAN but also the trip over there.

If it was cheaper to get to Ohio, I'd be there at this very moment...but it isn't.  I think you're seeing the turn-out like it is because most of the people there right now live near that area...or at least a day or two's driving distance away from the venue.

Edited by Fenix

Hard to say it's too much - at least the straight FFO fee. Ten years ago, and for just about all the FFO's, it was $50 early bird registration - like December/January, just to get some money in to get things rolling. Then $75 for most of the time, then $100 for late registrations about a month, month and a half out.

I got it down to a flat $75 last year - early, regular, or late, and $70 this year. And stuff ain't cheaper ten years later :) 

But over all, yeah, gas is way up since the mid 2000's, hotels are likely more as well. 

I'd like this to get bigger; just looking something to grab hold of to embiggen it. Want to be sure none of us are missing anything too obvious. Maybe I need to map membership out - maybe all our L4D2 folks are no where near the midwest...

• Like 1

I live in the west coast, you guys in the midwest, and I stopped playing L4D2 because of the current situation I am in right now. I simply don't have the time and funds to do it.

I wish I could have been there, money has been tight for the last couple years and we are still trying to fully recovery from the cost of the wedding last year. As Yortz said it is not a short trip from the West Coast to the midwest.

I understand your frustration Crasx, you would think with the number of L4D members we have that more would show up.

yea drunk angry post. sorry to be so mean, I just wish there were more l4d2 people here. Then I jumped on the l4d2 server and people were misbehaving and stuff

still ♥ u all

i wish i could have gone. i really wanted to see you <3

I can tell you that things can be far worse. 

My old clan decided last spring that they wanted to do a get-together somewhere in the summer, preferably July, but were having a hard time picking a place to do it.  I stepped forward and said I could host something in my area if it would work for a venue and everyone said it would be a great idea, especially the person organizing the event.  I ended up renting a place and made plans for transportation for everyone.  After the information was posted and we were all well past the point of no return, everyone started making excuses to duck out.  The person who was supposedly organizing matters and getting things together fell of the face of the earth.  A year later, he still hasn't said a word to me even though I know he's active on Steam.  In the end, one person showed up and was as disappointed as I was on a personal and financial level.  We both lost hundreds for being the only people who really believed in the event and held to our promises.  There's a reason I stopped wearing that tag last year.

My old clan can bleed out in a ditch.

As someone who has gone to 6 of these now, I can tell you there are many reasons to come. L4D2, and or CS;GO are minor compared to what goes on there. Check the galleries from  last year, and this year to see just some of what happened. http://gamrs.co/forums/index.php?/gallery/category/2-fragfest-ohio/

I totally get where CrasX is coming from though. He's the only L4D2 player I really know since I don't play that game. One thing that you notice right away is that while people are there gaming, they're not necessarily playing CS. They may be playing FFXI, Mass Effect 1, 2, or 3, misc. rts's, or any number of other video games. But it's not just about video games. Many people played cornhole, pool, air hockey, euchre, or various board games.

Fragfest has been far more about establishing a "family reunion" feeling than a "gaming party" since 2006.  The tournaments are all random draw so no matter what your skill level is, you have the opportunity to do well, and by in large the matches are competetive because they're not stacked with all elite players.  For me the biggest reason to go is the social aspect. Hanging out with people you may never have met in real life if not for Fragfest. Putting faces with the voices and nicknames from both the servers and the forums.  Yes travel is an issue for many, and the costs can add up, but the price for the seat at the lan party is small for what you get back in enjoyment.  Many people have shared rides to save on gas mooney, and also shared hotel rooms for the same reason.

I do hope there is one again next year, and I hope it's bigger than before. I also hope that some of the L4D2 people are able to make it. It would be nice to meet you all. :)

Wolfsblood.

There is always food of some sort there, and people will make food runs. People also share what they brought, be it food, beer, pop, or liquor. It's a gathering of friends, who all happen to like to play games.

• Like 1