Can we add a disclaimer to the server MOTDs?

ChaoticInfinityX

Can we put up a disclamer or notice in the MOTD that says something along the lines of while experience in L4D2 or Versus mode is not by any means a requirement, communication (whether text or vocal) should be? Inform them that this is generally a high skill server, and that if they aren't experienced in that maps played or the game as a whole that they should then at the very least be open to heeding communications from the team (if they aren't openly engaging in it through text or voice chat).

Personally, I don't mind helping any new player open to learning how the game is played or on how to be a more effective survivor or infected, but I'm sure others will agree that people who join the game with no experience and no interesting in communicating and/or playing as a team simply ruin the experience for the rest of us.

Oh, and that people who don't respond to verbal warnings given by admins either via text (like an "understood" or "ok") or voice chat get kicked within 2 min of that first warning (usually enough time for them to either recover or be seen for the griefer's they are).

Thanks.

-ChaoticInfinityX

Edited by ChaoticInfinityX
  • Like 2

I certainly understand the frustration with players that do not communicate or are very new, but these are not requirements to play on our server.  We welcome all levels of experience and do not require them to communicate.  There are many players that play and do not speak English.  Not only do they not understand the majority of the players, but they also would not understand the MOTD either.  As long as they are not interfering with the overall progress of the team (by running back to the saferoom, or just staying in one spot, etc), they are not breaking any rule and should not be kicked by members (!votekick) or admins.

It seems to me we talked about this before, but wasn't there a discussion about making a members only server?  I understand that we want new players in the hopes of them also becoming members if they choose.  The only reason I am even bringing this up is that it seems a lot of members are considering not renewing their memberships for the reasons we are talking about here.  I am just brainstorming here, I don't know if something like that would even work. I am just trying to explore the idea of a balance between the attraction of new players to the server with the frustration the members have like the ones listed above.

A members only server isn't really what GC is looking to do.  When the last discussion came up about making one of the servers a members only server, it led to us deciding to do "member only" events each week.  This is what led to the member vs admin, custom nights, and Jackie pathing night and now the VIP mode night.  We can still keep doing that, also it doesn't have to be a special event, it can just be a time someone posts in the forum and promotes.  Obviously if you are looking to do a custom or special mode, you will need at least one admin to be involved too.  

Also, when members are on, they tend to populate one server first anyway, kind of making it a member only server at the time. 

Why can't we have a try-hard only server and a noob-friendly server?

because we are community oriented, not skill oriented

In that case a "competitive" try-hard server and a "learning experience" noob server  :propeller:  :propeller:  :propeller:

I mean, I don't see how this idea hinders the community-oriented theme. If someone thinks he's got what it takes to play in the big league, then join the competitive server, and if someone is just looking to have a good time playing l4d, then join the not-so-competitive one. It'll also reduce the occurrences of stacked teams happening.

Edited by robinbanks

if you want to decide among yourselves that server 1 is for pros and 2 is for noobs then go ahead, but gc won't add any restrictions or enforce it. and it wouldn't make sense to add it to the motd because nobody reads it

besides, if we restricted servers to pros only then there would only be two players: murderin and general

commence drama

• Like 1

Why can't we have a try-hard only server and a noob-friendly server?

because we are community oriented, not skill oriented

In that case a "competitive" try-hard server and a "learning experience" noob server :propeller::propeller::propeller:

I mean, I don't see how this idea hinders the community-oriented theme. If someone thinks he's got what it takes to play in the big league, then join the competitive server, and if someone is just looking to have a good time playing l4d, then join the not-so-competitive one. It'll also reduce the occurrences of stacked teams happening.

*on mobile so forgive the lack of quotes*

That sounds a lot like how server 1 and server 2 used to be. One would be full of members and the other new people until it started flip flopping like it does every now and again.

@Test That is a sweeping generalization. From what I've seen since I've been here, it's not about wanting to crush teams for the sake of enjoyment. The good players are friends who want to be on the same team and so happen to also be able to tip the scales to whether a team can be held together or fall apart. It's my firm opinion few players here take enjoyment out of clobbering a defenseless team round after round. That gets boring real quick. Sometimes you lose track that teams are stacked either by numbers or skill in the middle of the fun until someone mentions it which prompts !teams awareness.

It seems to me we talked about this before, but wasn't there a discussion about making a members only server?  I understand that we want new players in the hopes of them also becoming members if they choose.  The only reason I am even bringing this up is that it seems a lot of members are considering not renewing their memberships for the reasons we are talking about here.  I am just brainstorming here, I don't know if something like that would even work. I am just trying to explore the idea of a balance between the attraction of new players to the server with the frustration the members have like the ones listed above.

*Some members also don't like how some of the other members act, not the new players.

Things are ok the way they are. 

I read MOTD for one reason, for silly typo funnehs. lol

• Like 1

The irony in this preach about reading the Motd will never work for the new players and even for the regulars. The reason being is that the Motd has good amount of information to read and takes at least 5 seconds to skim through. Meanwhile in the background players are scolding at you to move the second you join. They then assume you're afk or slow loading in and within the next 5 seconds they are talking about votekicking. Even some admins are quick to jump to that conclusion.

What I was suggesting would not make it a non community server.  This time last year we had only one server.  What I was suggesting was make one server a membersonly server and the other server a public server that members and non-members alike can join.  Sort of a training server to learn on in the hopes that if they like it they can become a member and get all of the perks that come with being a member.  I was only throwing an idea out there to brainstorm a solution.

If all members played on a members-only server, random pubbers and newbs wouldn't get a chance to see what makes gc a community worth joining. If you're looking for super competitive play, find a league to play in as a supplement to having fun on gc servers. 

i don''t remember what the motd looks like but you could just tl;dr it with size 30 font and then add a link for more details 

also you can have a disclaimer saying you are responsible for knowing the detailed rules as well

newbs might read a couple lines of massive text and at least understand the basic rules

I am more for general rules as : no rushing, no swearing, stay with your team.

I think 80% or more people don't read the MOTD. They got into 10 vs 10 game in middle of fight, they wouldn't even bother fast read it.

Not sure if it's possible but what about in chat notifications with big red or green capitals based on their gameplay hours on server? As example, basic rule or tip of the day, poping out in chat in every ...30 sec to 1 min or so? And this could last for at least 100 gameplay hours on servers.