Things You've Fixed

Fatty

I'm not a handy-man...well, by choice. I tend avoid most "projects" for some reason.

BUT! One day last year, I took my kitchen sink faucet apart, identified the issue, went to Home Depot with the broken little plastic piece thing, and successfully replaced it! It really was simple, but I was so happy! My dad and brother were always the "fix it" types....

Heck, in the same year, I had a father of one of my students who is a professional plumber talk me through a toilet "operation" while on the phone! "Now take this off....look for this...tell me what you see now..." He identified the problem, sent the part in with his kid, and bingo! No more leakie! :lol:

Wow..sweet. Plumbing is one of the things I can't do...course the question isn't what you can't fix is it?

Other than computers...I've replaced the buttons on my dryer, cleaned VCR's so they don't eat tapes (taking it apart & using swabs & alcohol). Mostly I fix things by picking up the phone & calling someone though:)

Well, I spent 5 hours changing 4 spark plugs. Actually, I spent 5 minutes removing 3.5 spark plugs, 4 hours and 50 minutes removing 0.5 spark plug(s), then another 5 minutes putting in 4 new spark plugs.

Oh yeah, it was raining the whole time too.

I do NOT work on the car. Well I can change the oil (but never do) and change a tire but the car is not my thing.

I do work on the house though. But even I admit I do shoddy work :). Just finished re-siding the back of my house. It actually looked really good. Once I find my camera chord I will post some picks.

Living in an old house I have had to work on a lot of stuff. But Im the typical "Jack of all trades and master of none".

Biggest project I ever did was convert a back porch into a master bathroom. Get tired just thinking about all the work I put into that.

Being handy ain't really my forte, but I'd say Cars and computers are where I know more about fixin stuff.... can't really do much with a house(as I don't own one) Plumbing and Elec stuff I leave to the professionals.

On my old Ford Ranger My dad and i switched out a radiator, starter, alternator, belts, plugs, muffler and catalytic converter and a whole bunch of other things over the course of me and my brothers sharing that work horse.

Toughest fix was a routine oil change... except it was in November. My older brother had changed the oil filter the time before and used the wrench to put it on. Needless to say he turned it a little more than hand tight. When i tried to take the filter off, the damn thing crumpled in the wrench. It took my dad and myself almost 6 hours of pounding a metal pike through the filter and turning it a fraction of a centimeter to get that damn thing out. IT WAS COLD! But it felt good to overcome somethin with Dad.

Yep, the freakin' 4th spark plug torqued in half. I ending up buying some "Easy-Out", kind of look like reverse drill bits. You "screw" it into the plug by turning it left (opposite of most...lefty loosie, righty tighty) so the more you are screwing it into the spark plug, the more you are unscrewing the spark plug from the housing. Problem was that the end of the Easy-Out is square, not hex, so I ended up taking a socket and putting it on the Easy Out backwards (the square part that attaches to the wrench) then taking an Allen wrench and putting it in the other side of the socket, the using a pipe on the Allen wrench for leverage. All this is a pretty heavy rain and after the sun had gone down.

Fun fun fun

Dweez, proper maintenance would have made that job only take 30 min. Most vehicles recommend new spark plugs at 60,000 miles. The only except would be newer vehicle with double platinum. They are recommended at 100,000, but usually only make it to about 80,000.

Easy-outs are nifty little tools. A tip for using them:use a 12-point socket, the right size will fit and torque it of. But, your way seemed to work. :D

[DLM]->Xterminator Posted on May 21 2003, 12:10 AM

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

someone broke the antena to the radio at work, so today i fixed it........with duct tape. 

If you can't fix it, duct it!!!!!

1. Completely disassembled and reassembled a 1969 Dodge Charger.

2. Every house/apartment I've moved into seems to have had a leaky toilet, so fixing it has just become par for the course.

3. Installed my own washer and dryer (wired the 220v! myself := ) at the house I used to own. The basement had a 23" clear opening door, so I had to completely disassemble both to fit through and then reassemble. They stayed with the house when I sold it.

4. Built about 35 computers so far.

5. Rebuild my bicycle every year.

6. Sheetrocked my former boss's sounds studio all by myself.

7. Each place I move into I ground the socket that my computer plugs into.

I'm a generally handy guy and attribute it to my childhood when my dad (a maintenance guy at a company where they make electro-mechanichal things) would bring home odd broken machines and devices with the express purpose for me to disassemble, tinker with, and reassemble until I was bored with it. Stuff was like old dictaphone machines to contraptions the size of a 21" monitor that I wasn't sure what they were used for.

I would have to say I'm a lot like rev, the "jack of all trades, master of none" kinda guy. I completey finished my ex-girlfriend's mother's house (long story full of divorce and crap). Her dad had built the exterior walls and sided and roofed it, then he and her mom got divorced, so I did everything else but the wiring and plumbing. I have worked construction for a utility company, the gas and water division, so I have a pretty good idea of how to pipe gas through houses as well as into the house. I have a degree in structural engineering, although not in use yet, and I have been working construction on residential remodels since I moved to colorado. I have done everything from a 1200 sq ft master bedroom-retreat add on to slate tile to sheetrock to electrical wiring to plumbing a cirq(spelling) pump into a hot water system. As soon as my wife and I move into our new house, I plan to put in either a slate or sandstone patio with built in barbecue grill, then completely finish the whole basement, it is rough plumbed and the exterior walls are insulated, that's it.

Mine's not a "fix" it's an upgrade so I'll start a new topic. But cool stuff up there. Homer is trying to win another topic and should be barred from being up his car again until the 4th of July.

Fun thread.

I have put my own computer together. It is a hodgepodge of all my friends old castoffs and my own measley Compaq that is 8 years old. I added an additional HD, switched mobo and processor (upgraded to 450MHz, sad huh), JUSt got a new vid card MX440.

I have rebuild a carbeurator (sic) and I put a Suzuki shock on my Yamaha dirt bike when I was 16 years old. I also do as much work/maintenance on my vehicles as I can.

Things I would need help with...woodwork. I am pretty handy mechanically, but I would love to be able to build stuff with wood.

Man, I have fixed a ton of stuff. My Dad and I took care of all the cars, the house, I do the computers, and we take care of my granparents' homes also. The only things I can ever remember calling anyone for (until recently) are the heat and air and water heaters. We just never called people to fix stuff, I guess necessity was the mother of invention back in the day.

Guest [SFC]Preacher
Guest [SFC]Preacher
Guest [SFC]Preacher
Guests

I once had a dog fixed does that count? LOL

I'm good at puzzles and enjoy PC building and repair (probably built in the nieghborhood of 200 PCs)

I try to do as little mechanical work as I can on automobiles (only when broke)

I put siding on a house tiled a 35' x 80' room with carpet tiles - replaced several toilets - tubs(yuck) and installed quite a few celing fans and one attic fan(huge job pay someone to do it for you)

Mostly I enjoy sloth and torpidity and like to delegate work to more capable people while I intently labor over my game of CS