Discussion of Phoenetics of Elite Speak

Playaa

Question:

How do you pronounce 'pwn'?

Answers:

1) 'own'

2) 'pown'

3) 'pween'

ok, so this is a pet peeve of mine. I pronounce it 'own' and here's why.

Elite speak was developed by hackers in the early days of the internet to make it more difficult for government agents to find hacking sites by using search engines or their own searching software. The thought behind it was, if the agent is looking for a hacking site he's going to put 'hacks' or 'hacker'. Why not come up with words that sound the same but the search engine wont' recognize. So they used words like 'h4x' and 'h4x0r'. These words were similar but mostly sounded the same. Other words developed and while they have a different appearance and according to English Phoenetics they SHOULD be pronounced differently, Elite speak doesn't necessarily follow English phoenetical rules. Example: '133t sp34k'. Some would pronounce this 'Leet speak' but in reality it should be pronounced the same way as 'elite speak', here's why. The '1' at the beginning of the word is meant to replace the 'L' while the '33t' replaces the 'ite'...if you sound the word out (like on Sesame Street) it goes like this:

'L' - 'eet', 'L-eet', 'Leet' or 'elite'. The word was not meant to be a different word that 'elite' only to replace it's LOOK thereby making it harder to understand for the uninformed.

Now the word 'pwn' was not created as a new word to MEAN the same thing as 'own' it was created as a new LOOK for the word 'own' thereby making it harder to read. The meaning is the same as is the pronunciation.

Sorry for all that but as I said it's a pet peave of mine when I get on a server and hear people say "dude I pweened you" or "man you got powned"

so could this be a poll? cause I'm interested...

<user input>[players] [mute] [Playaa]</user input>

<server response>You will no longer see Playaa's posts</server response>

;)

You do have too much time on your hands don't you? Course I'm reading and responding you your posts...hmmmm 8P)

pwn originated when someone was typing it and pressed the "p" key instead of the "o" key. People got a laugh out of it and started using it. It stuck and has now become an internet urban legend as to its birth. The same thing happened with "yeams" "teams".

pwn originated when someone was typing it and pressed the "p" key instead of the "o" key. People got a laugh out of it and started using it. It stuck and has now become an internet urban legend as to its birth. The same thing happened with "yeams" "teams".

uuumm....I've NEVER heard(read) "yeams"........ever.

but you are right on the origin of "pwn" (AH!! IN MY HEAD I JUST SAID "pown"!!!! NOOO!!!)

I had that part wrong...but the idea still stands.

now pardon me as I go kill myself

:(

lol tweens is Tolkien talk. Hobbits were in their "tweens" until the coming of age at around 30. Im a nerd but im sure there is a lot of people out there whop love LOTR just as much as me...

anywho, lol i always thought of "pwn/pwned" as a a different animal than "own/owned" like someone else said i think of it as "pawned". As in "you were just pawned by playaa" or "playaa just pwawned joo". Not that it dont mean basically the same thing. To be "pwned" is to be played like the useless peice of nub that you are. Though at the same time I pronounce "pwn/pwned" like pown/powned. lol its all a big misunderstanding.

hey Playaa! that was probably me who was saiyng "powned" over comm. Go ahead and try to kill me next time. See what happens: "U |3een pwn3d by 7h3 13373s7 CS god 3v3|2(for the elite illterate: u been pwned by the leetest cs god ever!)

lol

jane | gfe