6 pack abs

Dennis

anyone know of any really good methods. i used to have a nice 6-pack in high schoola nd first 2 yrs of college when i played soccer and was swimming but since then i have done nothing. i lost the abs and have gotten chubby now. im going to get back into running and doing crunches and all but does anyone know of any really good programs todo?

Guest PDO
Guest PDO
Guest PDO
Guests

From what I've heard, first you have to lose all the stomach weight, then you have to build up muscles to show off.

So obviously start off with cardio, then do some very good ab workouts.

yea i pretty much still have my abs under the fat since i can still flex them, theres just enough fat over them that you cant see them anymore, so i know i need to run and eat better to lose the fat, i was more into just looking for a good ab work out, since i dont wanna spend the money on those videos.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 9 months later...
  • 1 month later...

I have been blessed with an abnormally high metabolism

I'm 20 in June and I look 16.

I only weigh 115lbs. and i'm 5'5"

Ever since I started wrestling in HS, I developed abs.

I have like no fat on my body, which makes me look kinda skinny.. well a lot skinny.

Lately I have just started to weight lift. and I have a book called Incredible Abs which sends u thru levels of workouts for just your abs.

Level A,1-9. Right now I'm on level 4 and it's a workout!

I'm thankful for my 6 pack Abs.. the ladies love it!

Now I'm just working on some boobies to go with em, lol.. and the rest of my body.

Is this good for my weight?:huh2:

I bench 125-135 depending on reps (never maxed yet)

and I squat 215 for 6 reps and 225 for 4.... at one time I was able to squat 245 once.

anyone know of any really good methods. i used to have a nice 6-pack in high schoola nd first 2 yrs of college when i played soccer and was swimming but since then i have done nothing. i lost the abs and have gotten chubby now. im going to get back into running and doing crunches and all but does anyone know of any really good programs todo?

The best things you can do to help will be to eat right and do at least 20 minutes of cardio in your target heart rate zone. By doing at least 20 minutes at target you will continue to burn calories well after you finish. You can get a fairly cheap heart rate monitor from Polar or several other manufacturers.

You also have to work your abs, but just doing a bunch of situps or crunches won't work. You should do weighted ab work, and it can be something as simple as a 10lb plate on your chest as you do your situps. FYI - some people claim they have back problems when they do regular situps, but I never had.

I do large reps of plain situps/crunches on some days, and sets of 25 with a 35lb dumbell on my chest on others.

But sure enough, I put on a nice coat of winter insulation and am working that off and eating better.

And of course, before beginnin this or any other exercise program, always consult your physician...

:P

newie5.jpg

Suggestions aside from regularsit ups: crunchers (sit-ups where you lift your legs up toward your chest as you are sitting up, and placing them back down while descending, can be done with knees bent or straight, I feel more of a workout when I keep them straight, so basically you are making a V shape.

Holding feet off the ground (while lying on your back) about 6 inches for as long as you can hold it and then some.

mini crunches, laying on ground with knees bent, arms down at side, sit up just enough to touch your fingertips to your heels and back down. Do these as fast as possible.

And this last one is what I have been doing the most of lately, I really feel it in my abs and it gives the quads a good work out as well. I've been doing them with a partner but I have seen bars attached to situp boards that would allow it to be done alone.

One person sits on the others feet with their forearms just under their bent knees above the calf. The person doing the exercise sits up then stands up without the use hands or arms, then come back down to a sitting position, lay back then sit back up and repeat.

Hope any of these can help if you haven't been doing any of them, but just make sure to use exercises that don't limit the workout to just the upper abs or another section, if so, make sure to compensate it by doing other routines that target them.

• 1 month later...
I have been blessed with an abnormally high metabolism

I'm 20 in June and I look 16.

I only weigh 115lbs. and i'm 5'5"

Ever since I started wrestling in HS, I developed abs.

I have like no fat on my body, which makes me look kinda skinny.. well a lot skinny.

Lately I have just started to weight lift. and I have a book called Incredible Abs which sends u thru levels of workouts for just your abs.

Level A,1-9. Right now I'm on level 4 and it's a workout!

I'm thankful for my 6 pack Abs.. the ladies love it!

Now I'm just working on some boobies to go with em, lol.. and the rest of my body.

Is this good for my weight?:huh2:

I bench 125-135 depending on reps (never maxed yet)

and I squat 215 for 6 reps and 225 for 4.... at one time I was able to squat 245 once.

Be carefull with that high metabolism wild card. Eventually, it starts to go away and all that stuff you used to be able to get away with because of the metabolism catches up to you. I was the same way all the way to around 28-9, then it started to catch up. It's been a real pain teaching myself how to eat better and excercise harder than I used to at a time when my body is telling me pizza, beer, and a nap are what it wants.

(edited)
The best things you can do to help will be to eat right and do at least 20 minutes of cardio in your target heart rate zone.  By doing at least 20 minutes at target you will continue to burn calories well after you finish.

Wrong. If you wanna get a six pack and keep body fat off, contrary to what you believe or may have been told by high school gym teachers and even some weight trainers high intensity weight lifting is the way to go...PERIOD.

High intensity weight training will:

build muscle mass

build strength

increase fat loss

improve metabolism

make you look a heckuva lot better than waiting until you're done losing fat will.

does it matter if the muscle you build is underneath fat? umm, no genius, it doesn't. who cares if it's underneath fat? it still provides various metabolic benefits that cardiovascular exercise does not. and when you do lose fat, you'll look a lot better than if you didnt lift.

weight lifting also provides a much greater EPOC than cardiovascular activity does. epoc = exercise post oxygen consumption, in laymans its what you burn calorie wise after exercise. one study done on high intensity weight training EPOC showed a 700 acute calorie expedenture over 2 days.

how does aerobic exercise stack up epoc wise?

Phelian et al. (1997) looked at the epoc of a 500 calorie cardio session. one was done at 50% V02 max and one was done at 75% V02 max. the 50% group had a magnificently huge epoc of 24 (TWENTY FOUR) calories. the 75% group had a ragingly high EPOC of 45 calories. woopty do. do you know what 45 calories is? 45 calories is about 2.5oz of a banana. you could burn 45 calories masturbating.

what about the people who do lower intensity cardio? say 60-65% of V02 max for 30 minutes? Sedlock (1992) studied this and the EPOC was a ragingly huge 15 calories.

what about the elusive "tone". lift weights at low intensities and do cardio to "tone!!11".

N O.

there are 2 types of muscle tone. myogenic tone/muscle density and neurogenic tone which simply refers to the tone expressed when movements or muscular contractions occur.

strength training is what improves the above. only lower repetition heavy training will significantly alter msucle density through the growth of actin and myostin. these proteins are the densest of skeletal muscle. hypertrophy them and guess what? you "TONE".

so lifting weights gives you:

-muscle mass

-strength

-"TONE", god i trucking hate that word

-fat loss

-big epocs

-increased metabolic rate

if you want the sources for these statements, let me know, I have them all I can post them up. I also have plenty more information where this came from, I'll do my best to answer questions that you have.

On a side note, hi to those of you whom I havent seen in forever, and to those that dont know I am, I'm old school and it will be left at that :)

One other thing, whoever mentioned HGH, you're wrong there also. I'll have to do some digging to find the research I used to have on that though, so that waits until another day.

Edited by Justin

• 4 weeks later...

interesting

i love all teh EPOC stuff

im going to start going to school to become a dietician with background in kinesolgy (ill first have to learn how to spell these words :huh: )

i love this kinda stuff

• 2 weeks later...

If you search on google for the '8 minute ab workout', you should find a top quality video which has an 8minute workout designed for your abs.

I used to do 2 sets of 75 crunches a night, but I eventually got bored, so I tried doing this video every night. I've found the exercises intensely work out all the regions of your abs, and its quite easy to get the hang of. You can work at your own pace, so its good for all levels.

You can order the video, or download it from limewire or a p2p programme.

Give it a try, do it every night, and after a couple of weeks you should notice some well defined stomach muscles coming along. :luxhello:

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...