Calling all mixologists

Crowbar

the "Vodka Martini" came onto the scene under the unassuming title, Vodka Cocktail. Through the years it went through many different names, never fully challenging the suppremacy of the Martini until recenlty. yes, Martini's are now made often with vodka, but I side with Esquire magazine and say that a real Martini is one made with gin.

On that subject, I've got a question for you Red, or anyone else. The local grocery store only carries Italian Vermouth, both dry and sweet. Martini's call for French Vermouth, and when made with Italian are a different drink (the Hearst) and they're rather awful tasting. Is French Vermouth hard to come by? I've yet to get over to a liquer store, what are some brands to look for?

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Crow, I've been wanting to tell ya, I've seen some nice books in the past few weeks.. Look up titles like "Classic Cocktails", and maybe Modern Mixologist.. Can't remember the exact titles but they were something to that effect.. Martini on the front of one ;) Make a run to the Borders.. Books that is :)

yeah, I got a great little book by Esquire on drinks and their history. gives the stories behind each of the 250+ drinks in the book. also got kind of a beginners guide to entertaining, which goes over the finer points of throwing an adult party.

Boarders? dude, don't you have a Half-Price Bookstore in Ohio? saves a load of money, I just picked up a great book on Frank Sinatra and one on Bruce Springsteen and those two drink books all for around $20. two of them are hard cover.

On that subject, I've got a question for you Red, or anyone else. The local grocery store only carries Italian Vermouth, both dry and sweet. Martini's call for French Vermouth, and when made with Italian are a different drink (the Hearst) and they're rather awful tasting. Is French Vermouth hard to come by? I've yet to get over to a liquer store, what are some brands to look for?

Vermouth was originally from Italy. it was sweet and red. Later on after 1900s the French came up with their own Vermouth, dry and white.

So bascially Italian vermouth = Sweet Vermouth. French = Dry Vermouth.

Sweet or Dry can be made anywhere, but when it calls for French just use Dry.

Most martini's just use dry and very few use Sweet, I mainly use sweet for Manhattan's.

Yes on the half-price books.. but never went in there.. Trouble always says no :( I'll have to check it out. Actually I think the one didn't look very organized(the front anyhow) and that kinda turned me off.. But I think we actually have 2 or 3 here in C-bus.

I prefer beer. Mmmm....beer. American beer tates like wee-wee, and I try and stick to Weißbierrs aus Bayern. Mein Lieblingsbeir ist Erdinger Weiß, obwohl jetzt trinke ich Hacker-Pschorr weil Erdinger ist in Americka sehr knapp.

But if I want to get drunk (being a college student and all) I will drink pretty much anything, including the horrible tasting HG 800 malt liquor.

Harry Buffalo...that will get any party going.

I spent my 20's drinking 151. I can't do that anymore :twitch:

Now I usually drink...ummm...alcohol and pop. Yea, pretty much anything with alcohol and any non-diet pop...I'm not real fussy beyond that. Really the pop is optional.

• 2 weeks later...
(edited)

We have a resteraunt in Texas (one in Austin and one in Dallas) that serves insane margaritas and tequila shots.

The house margarita is made from Herradura, one of my faves. I think smoother than 1800 or 3 Gens.

Plus, they serve tequila shots that run up to $300 a pop!! :o

Tequila is like wine. There is an art to making it and it is often aged (the gold tequilas) like a wine. True conneseurs (of which I am not, nor can I afford to be) will drink tequilas from a snifter like a cogniac.

Edit: Oh yeah, the resteraunt is called "Iron Cactus" heh. Its actually not too expensive, about 12-15 a plate and the house margaritas are 6-7 bucks. and very tasty :)

Edited by gOOters