Not a good day.

TheReverend(c)

With all the upgrading going on in the forums I decided to start the new year off the same way. I ordered a great Radeon x850 256mb xt pe and a western digital 400 gb sata drive with the 16 meg buffer. Smokin!. As I installed the new equipment, the wife asked me to come help with something upstairs. The comp was loading the os, so it would take a while. While I was upstairs, my brothers fiance came over with her kids. I didnt notice that one of them went downstairs where they werent allowed to go (and they know there not allowed to go down there). About 30 minutes later I went back downstairs to see if it was done and was awed by a wonderful diplay of odd rainbow like colors brithening up my screen. I know what this means as I have seen it several times in my carreer as a PC tech. My heart sank as I realized that my videocard was pretty much done for ($380.00). Upon closer inspection, I noticed a brownish substance coating the keyboard ($25), monitor ($525), motherboard ($110) (the case was laying on its side as I was installing hardware when I left it), soundcard ($75), RAM modules ($80 x 3) and my new harddrive ($200). Sure enuff my neice-to-be decided to pour Coke (Vanilla to be exact) on and into my comp just for the heck of it (shes 9 and she said she didnt know why she did it only that she wanted to do it). The video card, soundcard, two of the ram modules, Keyboard and Lan card were ruined from being shorted out. Moral of the story: Whatever can go wrong will go wrong if you leave the case off of your computer and add naughty little kids with a bottle of Coke and a penchant for destroying thinks. But anyway her mother said she'd pay for the damages as she has a lot more money than I do. Happy New Year All. :D

Pay for damages in pain.  9 year old should know better...I hope there is at least some discipline dished out...thats horrid.

Guess it's good you have a nice disposition...I'd have freaked.

Yea my patience had pretty much hit the redline on that one. Fortunately she'll pay for replacment parts.

Oh and by the way for you old timers like me youll get a kick out of this. The only spare video card I had left to use was a state-of-the-art 4mb Pine SIS pci video card from I dont know how many years ago! I couldnt play a rumour of CSS if I wanted to. :D:boing:

i have 2 kids.my boy is 13,my daughter is 12.they know if they touch my pc,i will play cs:s for real with them being terrorists,me being ct,they have no ammo,i have full ammo with the m249. :=

I have a 10 and 11 year old and the excuse "I don't know why" gets a major spanking. I tell them that they best know why they do things because they get punished for being stupid more than being wrong.

There may have been a spanking (by her soon to be stepdad) or a disowning in her future if her mother hadnt decided to pay for the damages. :D

With all the upgrading going on in the forums I decided to start the new year off the same way. I ordered a great Radeon x850 256mb xt pe and a western digital 400 gb sata drive with the 16 meg buffer. Smokin!. As I installed the new equipment, the wife asked me to come help with something upstairs. The comp was loading the os, so it would take a while. While I was upstairs, my brothers fiance came over with her kids. I didnt notice that one of them went downstairs where they werent allowed to go (and they know there not allowed to go down there). About 30 minutes later I went back downstairs to see if it was done and was awed by a wonderful diplay of odd rainbow like colors brithening up my screen. I know what this means as I have seen it several times in my carreer as a PC tech. My heart sank as I realized that my videocard was pretty much done for ($380.00). Upon closer inspection, I noticed a brownish substance coating the keyboard ($25), monitor ($525), motherboard ($110) (the case was laying on its side as I was installing hardware when I left it), soundcard ($75), RAM modules ($80 x 3) and my new harddrive ($200). Sure enuff my neice-to-be decided to pour Coke (Vanilla to be exact) on and into my comp just for the heck of it (shes 9 and she said she didnt know why she did it only that she wanted to do it). The video card, soundcard, two of the ram modules, Keyboard and Lan card were ruined from being shorted out. Moral of the story: Whatever can go wrong will go wrong if you leave the case off of your computer and add naughty little kids with a bottle of Coke and a penchant for destroying thinks. But anyway her mother said she'd pay for the damages as she has a lot more money than I do. Happy New Year All. :D

In one post, you have reconfirmed my decision to avoid having children at all costs (I even got an operation and I’m freshly 25). My life will be one of pretentiousness, materialism, and relatively stress free compared to the less selfish people who choose to contribute to the world's overpopulation problem.

At 9?

and spill coke all over all that stuff?

wow lol

:luxhello: At like 9 iwas already playing CS :D

and knew not to destroy the precious computer :peace::D

Oh well... at least taht stuff is being payed for ;)

SPANKING TIME!!! oh man if that happened and the little girl tryed pulling those puppy eyes on me *looks up with puppy eyes and says, 'i'm sorry, i didnt know'* oh man would it be spanking time. no 9 year old can possibly not know that pouring coke on ANYTHING is naughty.

As a person, who in my early youth, made a chain of paperclips, and stuck one end in upper right and the other in the lower left, of the Church's wall socket (I was conducting a scientific endeavor!), I can't cast stones in this debate. :D

My only advise is paranoia above all!

I still remember the yellow glow of the paper clips in the second before the fuse blew!

Edited by Goofus Maximus