AWP: Lame or Skillz?

ephemeral

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Short A has that dumb stack of bricks where only the top of the players head sticks out. :(

If the AWPer can't hit their heads and the two people stay behind the brick stack, yeah, they could win.

But for actual range. I'm not sure... Depends how good the AWPers is. :huh:

awping is fun once in a while...usually on the stock servers i wud buy deagles for the first 2 rounds and pick up peoples guns because its pretty much guranteed that both teams wil hav awps by the 4th or 5th rounds....tats wen i just try to take out awpers so my team can get through a chokepoint (i.e. bridge in aztec)

sometimes i just like to try no scoping =D

oh wow so many things i could say about this thread. well i look at this game in a sort of military aspect since i am in the military, i play the game with strategies and i tend to lead and call out bombsites (ask my fellow west players they can verify that).

in the military we use what tools we have that work best for the situations we are in. so i use the awp when i can afford it or pick it up and i feel that it would be advantageous for the map we are playing.

there are some maps i dont even use the awp but to be perfectly honest the awp deagle combo is what i yeild my greatest number of kills with. If you ask any west players there are some maps i stay in certain areas but i am mobile with that weapon and use it quite well.

and i will say hands down the awp requires skill no point in arguing.

remember this game is about killing and war

think of the old saying all is fair in love and war.

let the bashing commence

in the military we use what tools we have that work best for the situations we are in

I doubt sniper rifles are the best tools for the situation when we are shooting at such short distances in CS.

A good military sniper can hit a target 3,000 feet away. Thats a GOOD sniper, not some uber 1337 world record breaking sniper. At 1,800 feet a sniper with a good rifle can put 5 bullets in a 2 inch circle.

What do you suppose the longest range in CS is? A few hundred feet?

Of course YOU would think the AWP needs skill (which it doesn't), most of your kills are from it.

Depends how good the AWPers is.

I thought AWP did'nt take skill? :unsure:

I'm talking about the AWPer as a player in general. If he is good with weapons like the AK or Scout he is probably going to be a much better AWPer than someone who only uses the AWP. Someone who uses the Scout or just about any other weapon knows you have to actually hit people in the head to kill someone quickly. Take someone like M2. He's good with the AWP AND can actually use weapons like the AK and M4, unlike some AWPers i've seen who have 300 AWP kills, something like 30 DE kills and other weapons are 5-10 kills. They rely on it so much they don't even know how to use any other guns anymore (If this is anyone out there I'm not taking a stab at you, I didn't look at the stats while typing this). It's the kind of people you see in Scopeless that say, "If I had an AWP, you guys would be so dead!".

Nothing about the AWP says skill:

It has the most powerful scope in the game, so longer shots are a breeze.

Just about any shot that hits a player will kill them, forget about aiming.

It's a bolt action rifle, so no need to worry about controlling any kind of recoil.

Take your average AWP shot, replace it with any other gun and it's an amazing shot. People jumping across the end of Italy long hall (either side). Easy shot with an AWP, but if you get that kill with an AK or a DE you'd feel much better.

(edited)

I used to HATE the awp and I would just get the scout. After finding out how fun it is to use at short range, I usually get the AWP now. I just love running around and doing super fast "right click,left click,2,1" combos whenever I see someone and then just watch them drop. I know that using the AWP like that takes alot of skill and uber micro. I dont sit in one place or anything dumb like that.... I just want to get to the point where every enemy pixel in my screen does not stay alive for 1 second. lol

EDIT: I'm good with other guns too, I dont just AWP

Edited by discombobulated

I use the awp often, as some of you know...........

I think if you have enough skill to stand still and shoot at somebody that has a automatic weapon then FINE use it. But if your going to camp like CRAZY (like in aztec and italy) then DONT use it

I think awps are ok.. but scout is better if they aren't too far and if you can get headshots ;) They take skill, you still have to aim and click. Sometimes move around aim and click, just like any other gun. I still prefer scout cause.. i aim click and headshot 50% of the time. :)

AWP is too much of a camping weapon. I'll usually use it whenever I find myself low on kills.

I like using the scout every once in a while because you can run and shoot with it and still basically be dead accurate. One time I faked someone out with a smoke grenade and I shot him in the back with the scout (right where I was aiming too).

And it's SO HEAVY!!!

Wuss.

I rush with AWP lol. I'm not the first guy out, usually I let a few with AK or M4 go first but I'm always there to back them when they're reloading.

AWP does take skill but it's alot faster to learn the AWP than most other guns. And being faster to learn means majority of people would be good with it, hence the "no skill". I think it all depends on the type of player you are. People who tend to not be able to sit still would be worse off with AWP. People who are calm and can wait in a spot for a little while would be better with AWP.

On a good day if someone misses me with awp the first time they won't get a second... One of my favorite things is ak sniping against an awper. Awp does take some skill, but the thing is you don't have to be as accurate. One shot one kill waist up. With other guns it can take anywhere from 3 to 15 shots to kill someone gun depending. It's part of the game, get use to it. But there are some people out there that need to drop the awp and diversify themselves.

I personally think the gun is lame, because I am terrible at the game and hate dying so quickly from so far away. However, I think using the gun certainly requires some amount of skillz because I have tried it on several occasions and can't hit squat. Granted, I'm not great at FPSs, but it certainly takes some level of knowledge (skillz, if you will) to use an AWP, as lame as I think scoped weapons are because I'm such a n00b.

Bad as I am at FPSs, though, I pwnt with the axe in Quake, and that's saying something even if it's not much. Of course, I haven't played Quake in anything resembling recent history...

:D heres my stance on the AWP:

It's a great weapon, if used correctly. i will not camp with an awp, because i hate being called an awp whore. i think that if you are going to awp, at least use it correctly: offensivly. i think that a huge generalization has been made when people say that all awp users are awp whores and awp noobs. the poeple that are awp whores are the people who buy an awp every single round and go to the exact same spot every single round, thus virtually eliminating one way of attack for fear of instant death. a true awper never goes to the same spot every round, and only buys one when the team needs it. the last thing a team needs is another awper if it is already filled with them. for one, there is no support then, as everyone has sniper rifles. two, with no support, the snipers are now defensless and are easily killed, thus giving the games most powerful weapon to the other team...for free. so yeah, if you're gonna awp, at least move around a bit, and use grenades and pisties too, don't rely solely on the wap; know your battles.

awp is skills. If your good enough to maneuver around and get kills and not be killed with it. It is skill. Also, If you know how to play the game, you can kill any awper from whatever distance.

I don't like the Awp, thats why I am usually in the scopeless server. That and I get better latency in the scopless one. If I was any good with the Awp, then that would be a different story. As far as other players go, I think it is harder to get the kill without the scope. It makes you work for it and it also gives the other person sort of a fair chance going one on one. I am more impressed with people who can get headshots or kills withoout scopes. So my opinion is AWP=Lame.

Edited by Pestilence