Looking for a new video card (not PCIExpress)

Ice_Berge_00

Some of you know of the issues my card's been having with heat. Unfortunatley eVGA.com says I'm past the point where it's covered so I'm down to looking for a new card.

I'm looking for something in the 190-300 dollar range but it has to be AGP. Yes I know, getting harder and harder to do that. My current card is a GF 6800gt. I'd like to stay on/around the same quality level as that card.

I'm thinking about a BFG 6800GSOC on newegg for 209, don't have the link handy at the moment, but I'm not sure how much of a performance loss that might be. It has few pixel lines than my gt, also not sure how it will do with Source.

Any suggestions/comments/ideas?

It's currently just idling at 75C right at this moment, in-game I've had it get up to 118C. This was as recent as this weekend playing on Militia.

Aside from cs_militia, no other CS map really gives it trouble, however another game (SW: BattleFront II) is very bad. The temp climbs to that in about 15 minutes.

It is stock cooled, I might try to reseat the HSF but I'm afriad that damage has already been done, I'm having periodic issues with flashing objects and more fun stuff. I'm probably gonna try some more debugging before buying the new, but I'm trying to get an idea of my options as this point

I've heard that ATi cards do better with Source than nVidia. Just a thought.

I've more than heard this, it's flat out Fact. I know people with 9800's that run source better than I can. Part of my problem is I believe my card to be defective. Unfortunately eVGA.com doesn't seem to care...

AH, I remember now. Yeah, that has to be a defect. Surprised that card is still alive. Then again, I'm on a laptop who's processor has a temp of 72C right now so I guess it can. Anyway, didn't realize everything that nvidia did with their cards. On newegg, you're only real choices is the 6800GS or a x800xt AIW, but that's $300. Anyways, wait on Cujo's thoughts now.

Though I forgot to look at the other x800's.

And I forgot to mention that if ya wanted another 6800GT that comes with a NVSilencer and is less than $150.... :D

Some of you know of the issues my card's been having with heat. Unfortunatley eVGA.com says I'm past the point where it's covered so I'm down to looking for a new card.

I'm looking for something in the 190-300 dollar range but it has to be AGP. Yes I know, getting harder and harder to do that. My current card is a GF 6800gt. I'd like to stay on/around the same quality level as that card.

I'm thinking about a BFG 6800GSOC on newegg for 209, don't have the link handy at the moment, but I'm not sure how much of a performance loss that might be. It has few pixel lines than my gt, also not sure how it will do with Source.

Any suggestions/comments/ideas?

It really doesnt take a lot to run CS Source. A friend of mine still uses a geforce ti4200 with no problems. Playing HL2 on the other hand... :D

Edited by TheReverend(c)

(edited)
my thoughts are a pcie upgrade. don't drop that much on a new agp card. just not worth it.

ding ding ding... I just went through the awful process upgrading video cards. I decided to stick with AGP at first because my motherboard was only AGP, but returned everything and switched over

7800GT is the way to go.

Edited by NOFX

Fast solution is to buy the same model card and then return it. That'll teach them to have crappy warrantees on their poor products

LOL Ive been doing that for the last 20 yrs man!! The first time I did something like that was with my 300 baud C=64 modem, they came out with the 600 baud in the same hard shell casing (it was a cartridge). So I bought a 600 baud, opened it up and swapped my 300 baud insides with the 600 and then returned it.. :) Not the same as swapping a bad for a good, Ive done that too. But it was alot of fun..

Not too long ago I upgraded to X850XTPE AGP. These were last shipments of the card and I managed to snatch it for the cheapest price of $319. The only card that's left out there are over $400 at pricewatch.com. As I see it now, it's not worth dropping that much on it at this point and doing anything less than that isn't good either. My card pwns Source (everything maxed and bottlenecked only my cpu/ram).

SO, I'm with Cujo on this one. Get a new mobo and PCI-E16 card (7800gt reccomend) for the price that you could by x850xtpe AGP.

look how cpu limited all those cards are at 1024x768... and that's not even source.

Where do you see this? Would'nt all AGP cards be CPU Ltd?

Everyone's trying to get Iceberge to upgrade to PCI-e. I just gave him

what he was asking for.

GC Alumni
(edited)

Maybe I wasn't clear enough, max I'm looking to spend is $300.00. I just built this entire system about a year and 1/2 ago (just before PCI express came out and got hot) and was planning for it to be my last big system for awhile. I'm flat-out not looking to go mobo/cpu/Video card upgrading right now. Hence my problem, everything's going over to PCI express so quickly that it's cut the available cards down fast.

My processor and mobo work very nicely for me anyways that it really doesn't make sense to replace them. If I was building a system now, of course I'd do PCI Express, it just makes sense if that were the case. Really what I"m looking for is strictly AGP cards.

X 800 XT

BFG 6800GSOC

X 700 PRO

Lunk has this^^ says its good.

X 850 XT PE

This one is what I have. No issues. Cuts through source like a hot knife through butter!

Half life 2 AGP benchmarks (source)

That BFG card is the main one I'm considering wayferer. I have a friend with a BFG 6800GTOC that works very nicely for him. I just don't know what the perfomance difference would be from a GT to a GS (even OC'd). I expect it would perform better than my current card since I take a loss due to heat and what not.

I'm curious as to how the other cards stack up against it & each other. I wouldn't be against the x800 but I really don't need the All-in-wonder stuff for this comp.

Edited by Ice_Berge_00

Where do you see this?

ahhhh, NVM Cujo, I see what your talking about now. The 2 ATI cards

stack up not too bad in the 1280 x 1024 half life 2 though. Stayed the same

anyways.

I'm curious as to how the other cards stack up against it & each other. I wouldn't be against the x800 but I really don't need the All-in-wonder stuff for this comp.

The X800 & X850's that I posted there Iceberge are not all in wonders. Also

if you look at the link I posted you'll see how they stack up. It's not a well

kept secret that ATI seems to run source better for some reason. A lot of

people are very happy with X800's & X850's and I've heard a lot of problems

about 6800's strictly from these forums. I've got the x850 xt pe Cap my FPS at

60 because of LCD monitor. Rarely go below 50 FPS including heavy firefights

on Militia.

what are the rest of your system specs? if it's an intel or athlon xp then sell it and buy an amd 64 with pcie. even if the vid performance isn't as high as a 6800gt the rest of your system will more than make up for it.

if you have an athlon 64 of either s754 or 939 then go with anything x800 that you can get.

64 3200+ socket 754

Gigabyte GA-K8NS-Pro

the GF 6800gt

420 Watt power supply

Thermaltake Xaser V case

Like I said, big system a year and 1/2 ago. I'm not looking for system building advice guys, I simply want testimonials as to the performance of these cards.

I have a good enough system, just ended up with a defective card

(edited)

anything x800 will suit your system just fine. it's better than most. that x850xt for 209 sounds like a really good deal. as i said above, yours is the only case where i'd recommend an agp card.

Edited by Cujo