Building a wish list

TheGeek

Why, why, why, why, why, AGP???? What card do you have? Your so much

better off with PCI-e if your starting over again.

I agree... doesn't make much sense to buy new mobo and cpu then stay with agp. If you're savin money anyway, save another couple hundred and get a pci-ex16 gfx card to go with it. Even a "cheaper" or "older" pci-ex16 gfx card would give you similar or better performance than what you might have now and give you flexibility for the future!

I have a 6600 GT AGP. I havnt even used the whole power yet. This card is powerful and i dont want to loose money on my investment before i actualy use its power.

PLEASE look at my other post "this is wierd"

I am stumped

When did you buy your 6600 & for how much? The card's market

value is maybe $150.00 - $160.00 tops. Sell that, (if you can) and go after PCI-e Buy a cheap card for now

if you have to. If you absoloutly must stay AGP then I would wait, or buy as cheap as you

can (754) because your going to be replacing it very shortly.

There will still be good agp boards out for a few years but might as well start now. If all else fails stick with what you like. Drop in the fastest cpu you can in your current agp mobo (or the one you plan on getting) max out your ram and youll still do well with gaming until you get the cash for somthing new. And theres always Ebay. :D

i'm sure i've replied to a thread almost identical to this in the last week.

you keep going on how the 6600gt is powerful. it's actually not that great compared to powerful cards of today.

what you should be building is a reality list since you can't afford suggestions for your wish list. get your 2500 working properly and then save your money. worst case get the gigabyte nf3 939 board and a 3200+.

you keep going on how the 6600gt is powerful. it's actually not that great compared to powerful cards of today.

what you should be building is a reality list since you can't afford suggestions for your wish list. get your 2500 working properly and then save your money. worst case get the gigabyte nf3 939 board and a 3200+.

I see what you mean. But from tomshardware.com it shows that it is a pritty good card. But i remember the tests being better.

I bought this card for 180 so i guess i wont loose much. ARG! this means more money! Oh well i guess this is how life goes. I probibly wont get all of my stuff until the end of this summer.

I see what you mean. But from tomshardware.com it shows that it is a pritty good card. But i remember the tests being better.

I bought this card for 180 so i guess i wont loose much. ARG! this means more money! Oh well i guess this is how life goes. I probibly wont get all of my stuff until the end of this summer.

I the market price is £150-£160, sell it for £120-£130 ---- you have an overall loss from your purchase price of £50-£60. If you buy PCIe now then you end up saving money in the future.

Take the hit now, and save money later :smiling2:

My comp is working fine now that i reformated and flashed the mobo

I set the graphics on medium 1024x1080 and i got an average of 70 fps. This is VERY good.

I get stressed out when frames go to 50s, but I tolerate it now cause I know I won't have money right away to upgrade. In very heavy firefights my frames go to high 30s - that's just intolerable. That said I got most of my stuff on high and running 1280x1024 and average 100+. My card got twice the pipelines yours does (16 vs your 8) and it's an ATI which works better with CSS.

Maybe I'm just getting spoiled but I still want more. If I were you I'd get rid of 6600gt as soon as possible while it still has some selling value.

In a weird sense of Irony,,,

I knew I would be upgrading in 6mos to 1yr to PCI-X. So, I bought a "cheap little" 6600gt agp to hold me over. I paid $142 at newegg about 3 months ago.

At the time of purchase, I knew the 6600gt would basically be a "disposable" card to hold me over.

real easy test to check your limitations guys. dl fraps and then do a run at your regular settings and then do a run at low gfx settings. if your min and avg is the same then it's a cpu limit. if not then obviously turn down those settings if you want better fps. alternatively, upgrade your vid card.

i just ran some tests on militia (currently the most gfx taxing map) and i get about 3 fps lower min and 2 fps lower avg at 1600x1200 with everything on vs everything off. on nuke my fps doesn't change. this is with hdr off btw. so ya even with my x1800xt pe i'm limited on militia. most other maps i'm totally cpu limited even at full settings.

(edited)

I dont know if i want a radeon or a nvidia.

And if i got rid of the 6600 GT (which i think is a good idea) what will i do until the summer?

I am so behind of PCI technology, can somebody give me a link of maybe a post or a website that tells the difference from PCI-e and PCI-X?

I like the redeon X850 PRO

And the GeForce 6800GS

Edited by {GpL}TheGeek998

just make sure to purchase an SLI Mobo and an SLI PCI-E card. No matter what you buy you need to either go with cheap and disposable or good but upgradable.

My suggestion would be get the best mobo and a slower CPU and cheap PCI-E card. You may lose a little performance but then save up and buy a couple of the 6800gs cards or 7800gtx's if you can. Then upgrade your CPU to the X2s

if your going to buy a mobo from newegg becareful. not all the ones they say are compadable with the x2 chips. make sure you double check with the manf. website. I just bought the A8N-SLI and it said on newegg was compadable with the 64, fx, and x2 but its only compadable with fx and 64.

and on the gfx card personally i like nvideo. they have a longer life span for me anyways. I have gone through 3 ati cards in under a year, when the norm nvideo lasts a year or more. Plus also if u can look into it try to get a card with lifetime warrenty, and an upgrade plan. I know the one i just got for 90 days i can upgrade it for the difference in price.

kenger that board works with x2. you probably just have to update the bios. that said, any 939 board should work with x2, just some older ones will need a bios update. you probably got old stock.

as for ati vs nvidia, i've noticed no quality difference between the two at work based on items coming back broke. ati also has the fastest card in existence right now and it's available everywhere.

so far i want the AMD Athlon 64 3500+ socket 939 and the Nvidia 6800GS

This will cost me around 400 to 500 dollars but im waiting to upgrade until summer so maybe the cost will go down. When i do this upgrade i will be sticking with it for like 5 more years (when it becomes useless)

oh and i dont want to get a crappy CPU just to give it away to get a x2 chip.

And preacher i know to upgrade. thats what i am planning on.

OH! What is SLI? is that where you can run 2 cards at once? Will this really be necessary? I mean will games really need 2 graph cards to run it?

OH! What is SLI? is that where you can run 2 cards at once? Will this really be necessary? I mean will games really need 2 graph cards to run it?

SLI is when you run two graphics cards. Main reason for is to boost performance and to act cool. ATI's version of SLI is called CrossFire, which I'm going to go with later on with two 1900xtx's.

This will cost me around 400 to 500 dollars but im waiting to upgrade until summer so maybe the cost will go down. When i do this upgrade i will be sticking with it for like 5 more years (when it becomes useless)

I just bought Krutens 3500+ and I love it man, its a good chip..

I just bought Krutens 3500+ and I love it man, its a good chip..

And I can't wait to get a A8N32-SLI to play with this 3200 Venice I got.