Dell laptop explodes!

Guest zerodamage

My guess is that it was the battery. They use lithium cells, just like all other laptop manufacturers. The battery prolly had a short circuit, or was accidentally shorted at some point, or just overheated at some point (which changes the chemical makeup inside the battery, leading to an eventual failure).

Here's a video of a purposely ignited lithium polymer battery: http://rchomepage.com/~dna/LipoFire.wmv

There are some differences with lithium ion, which is used in laptops, but it's my understanding that misuse/mischarging has the same result.

I use lithium polymer batteries in my planes and heli. They are always charged in fireproof boxes and with safety devices due to the potential to explode.

Guest zerodamage
Guest zerodamage
Guest zerodamage
Guests
I'm kinda inclined to think this laptop wasn't in factory standard ("stock") condition before this happened.

Seems like a prank to me. It basically is impossible for a laptop to do that.

"For the record, this is a Dell machine," notes Gaston. "It is only a matter of time until such an incident breaks out on a plane," he suggests.

ahh yes, I forgot people who ride airplanes don't know how to put out small (basically harmless) fires.