Pretty cool

Magruter

thats a heavy duty bridge, someone figure out the math..

water weighs bout 8lbs a gallon

there is about 7.5 gallons per cubic ft

waterway is 60 ft across

how deep ? anyone figure out what one of those boats draws? looks like a heavy barge up farther. lets say 20 ft deep

so how much does the water weigh on the bridge?

we need a bridge length.. maybe count the people 3 ft spaces per person

This project was on one of Discovery Channel's extreme engineering shows so I can confirm that it's true. As for figuring out the weight, you need only calculate the weight of the water. If I recall correctly, a ship's weight is given in tons of water displaced. Thus a ship of 16,000 tons displacement, displaces 16,000 tons of water. So the weight on the bridge will remain constant even when a ship passes over it because an equivalent weight of water is pushed out of the way.

Nice, call Pavid...as a scientist I can tell you that is correct. However, given the viscosity of water, and the gravity that affects all objects at ground level...the engineers are worrying less about the mass of the boats that cross the bridge, and more about the fluctuation of the mass of water moving in a out.

The water will move approximately 4X slower than the ship/barge at first, but will also gain momentum as it moves. Therefore, the engineers are worried more about the ability of the structure to withstand sway and flex as the water moves.

Two objects cannot occupy the same space at the same time. Law of conservation of mass.

Two objects cannot occupy the same space at the same time. Law of conservation of mass.

Next time I find Mag in the server, I'm going to disprove this as my grenade and his mouth will briefly occupy the same space.

Bub will work on this when he sees it. He likes water.

Heh, that's just a bigger scale aqueduct than they used on the Ohio Canal back in the mid 1800's In fact right down the road from where Fatty teaches there was an aqueduct very much like that one (ok, so it was wood and stone, and accomadated wooden canal barges pulled by mules) that crossd the Cuyahoga River.

Maybe next FragFestOhio, Fatty can lead an edumacational histerical field trip so we can learn ourselves some Ohio history. :)

Awesome pic btw Mag. :)

Pretty soon, you'll be seeing water onramps and water intersections and water stairs...

Then we can ride electric air boats to solve the fuel crisis.

Ok, now what will be used to generate that electricity?