Who has had there gallbladder taken out?

akaM2

Well the title explains it all. I have to have my gallbladder taken out. My Dad and my Uncle both had to have theres removed in there 20's.

Of course that was 30 yrs ago or so and im sure we have made advancements in medicine. I heard they can do it arthoscopically to where the recovery is better.

Anyone heard how they do it now and how long it puts you out for. 1 week off of work?

you won't get any time off work, it's a quick recovery.

it hurts like hell though. ever turn your eyelids inside out and see how long you can hold out? it's like that, but with someone kickin you in the boys at the same time. have a ball!

its kinda like the scene from the matrix where they suck out the bug.

haha

My father had his gallbladder taken out years ago.. his scar is nasty looking.

I also believe they go thru your belly button, so your scar should be unnoticable. Enjoy the pain though.

Do they still let you keep it in a jar?

Ya, I had it done 2 years ago. It's done Laprascopically (through the belly button like Duke said). They put 4 or 5 small slits (1/2 to 1 inch) over your chest after they knock you out. They pump air through the slits so that they can blow you up like a balloon so they can manouever the tools. The procedure took all of an hour. The worst problem you'll have is the next day as the air migrates up to your shoulders while it is absorbed by your system. That hurt like heck so plan to take at least 1 day off work (although 2 would be better). Once the pain in your shoulders clears you'll be good to go. You can eat normally the next day including all the stuff that used to make you sick. Don't worry, it's not really that bad except for the pain in your shoulders. Advil (ibuprofen) should help with that. The slits healed in about 2 weeks with minor scars disappearing after 3 or 4 months. Good luck!!!

They blow you up!!! WOW! What exactly does the gallbladder do?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gallbladder :twitch:

everything you ever need to know....

Ya, I had it done 2 years ago. It's done Laprascopically (through the belly button like Duke said). They put 4 or 5 small slits (1/2 to 1 inch) over your chest after they knock you out. They pump air through the slits so that they can blow you up like a balloon so they can manouever the tools. The procedure took all of an hour. The worst problem you'll have is the next day as the air migrates up to your shoulders while it is absorbed by your system. That hurt like heck so plan to take at least 1 day off work (although 2 would be better). Once the pain in your shoulders clears you'll be good to go. You can eat normally the next day including all the stuff that used to make you sick. Don't worry, it's not really that bad except for the pain in your shoulders. Advil (ibuprofen) should help with that. The slits healed in about 2 weeks with minor scars disappearing after 3 or 4 months. Good luck!!!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Laparoscopy more complex way of saying what pavid said...

Edited by EbilDustBunny

Uh-oh, what if his gallbladder plays CSS, then I'm royally screwed.

Not really...the gallbladder holds all the skills.

I have lots of stories about operations...fun things to do include:

-wheel your morphine dispenser close to your bed so you can manually depress the plunger (they hate that)

-spill your tomato soup and then hit the nurse button frantically

-insist you need help shaking...be sure no male nurses are on staff atm

-wake up in the middle of the operation and claim you see a white tunnel (this one is tricky...but gets all the laughs)

-insist the power of Jesus saved you once you are out of the OR...

-take twice the time normally needed to recover

-ask the surgeon "how are you going to kill the alien once you get it out?"

(I have done all of these btw: 1 appendix; 1 cyst; 1 set of wisdom teeth; 1 face full of tree stump)

This may or may not account for our Health Care system being on the rocks...

My co-worker just had this done last week. He said he was in and out of the hospital in five hours and he was functioning normally in two days. The skiver did take take the whole week off though, so he could go on an extended xBox marathon...

Good luck M2!

1 face full of tree stump

Guess this explains all the problems :biglaugha:

the tree won right?

I was 4...so yes the tree won...needless to say the family thereafter gave up doing the natural Christmas tree thing and I no longer have feeling in my chin.