Forget Vista!

anonymo

I read the first few pages, but didnt see anything related to Vista using all your memory... Im not sure if get what you mean.

I believe he's referring to SuperFetch, which puts your commonly-used programs into memory before you even open them. That RAM you are not using is essentially just idling, and it's not saving energy to have it empty (at least not a significant amount, to my knowledge). So, instead of waiting for you to open the program, it puts it in memory for you so it doesn't have to wait for the hard drive. It's not that Vista is hogging memory (it's actually not bad compared to XP), it's just filling the empty memory with things it thinks you will put there anyway. It's apparently even sensitive to time, so it will prefetch your programs based on past use statistics at each point in the day.

It's neat, but the article says you should have a good bit of RAM (1GB minimum, 2GB recommended, more better) to really take advantage of it. Having run the release candidates for awhile, I'm not thoroughly impressed. It does load programs faster, and that is nice, but my hard drive spends a lot more time active than I care for in Vista than in XP. Honestly, I think I'd rather just wait in the case of most software (Photoshop being a notable exception).

*edit*

Haha, Cujo beat me to the punch. Nice.

Edited by appalachian_fox

There are a scant FEW compelling reasons to upgrade to Vista. In my professional and not-so professional opinion, it is not worth the price or the hassle of upgrading a perfectly good Windows XP Pro / x64 machine.

I have every intention right now to skip Vista. I'm a systems engineer who works primarily with Windows 2k/2k3 adv, redhat and ubuntu, but I cannot bring myself to buy an operating system that will control my system against my wishes. Among them are some serious functionality degredations and I highly recommend folks pay very close to the next 3 to 6 months on what Microsoft attempts to do. Here's a link to a daily blog by one of the security industry's brightest, Bruce Schneier, about this sort of thing.

Why Vista's DRM is bad for you

You can also visit his site, Bruce Schneier's Weblog, for more thoughts on security that goes well beyond information technology into the full spectrum of security in our world. I highly recommend it.

-dj

D00d, DJ... great find on that article. Very entertaining read and I forwarded the URL to many of my friends and relatives who are salivating over Vista and aren't too sure why.

also, the longer you use vista the faster it will become loading commonly used programs.

Interesting.. So it basically preloads commonly used apps into its memory so that when you call them, it doesnt have to load from the hard drive...

what happens when you restart? Does it lose all the values? or does it store some data on the hard drive, so it knows what apps to load into memory next time.

Edited by NOFX

also, the longer you use vista the faster it will become loading commonly used programs.

Interesting.. So it basically preloads commonly used apps into its memory so that when you call them, it doesnt have to load from the hard drive...

what happens when you restart? Does it lose all the values? or does it store some data on the hard drive, so it knows what apps to load into memory next time.

I'm guessin that it loads them back into memory when you restart. Whenever I fire my laptop up, my hard drive spends a little time working after things are up and running, I'm guessing it's paging some stuff that it thinks I will want to use.

I always wait a year or so after a new OS release before upgrading. This time around I need an install of Vista somewhere so I am familiar with it enough to fix my users machines. I had it on my Tablet PC and it sucked. Freezes and all kinds of insanity. I uninstalled and reinstalled XP on it. My new Dell laptop will have home on it and I will keep it for a while to try it out.

• 1 year later...
well put

Wow someone has way to much free time to bring this back to life....you need to get off your butt and back on your feet. I dont care if it hurts...push passed the pain!!!

Wow someone has way to much free time to bring this back to life....you need to get off your butt and back on your feet. I dont care if it hurts...push passed the pain!!!

Who did push pass the pain to? And did the pain recipient take the pass past the line?

Who did push pass the pain to? And did the pain recipient take the pass past the line?

wow.

That one hurt

wow.

That one hurt

Ooooh! Push passed the pain to Laz.