No more Canadian money jokes!

anonymo

I was under the impression the US one dollar bill is printed at a loss to the mint...

Well if it is, too bad for them. After all, it is the governemnt. At least I don't rattle and clank if I walk

around with a bunch of dollars.

Now if you were talking about the penny.......

Isn't that a little...Loonie?

At least we can still put PAPER dollars into our wallets!

I was under the impression the US one dollar bill is printed at a loss to the mint...

I don't think that's right. $(Paper) < $(metal), usually. I do recall hearing that coins are cheaper in the long run, because they don't wear out nearly as quickly, though.

The Federal Reserve Bank of San Francisco says that in 1990 it cost 2.6 cents per bill. A brief perusal of the Federal Reserve site did not turn up any information on notes (it was pretty brief) but...

The US Mint has the following table for production cost of coins in their 2004 annual report:

Golden Dollar Half Dollar Quarter Dime Nickel Penny

21.14 cents 16.97 cents 7.33 cents 3.14 cents 4.56 cents .93 cents

And expounds on penny costs:

--edit--

Hey, here's the budget for the Federal Reserve Bank for the year. It has the number of notes to print for 2005 (8,631,606) and the printing costs ($509,974). That works out to roughly 5.9 cents per note. The budget also includes costs such as currency transportation, too, if you're interested. There may be a more up-to-date budget, but I'm stopping my search here.

Edited by appalachian_fox