why do you guys like mac so much?

Cujo

• Replies 141
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

One key for Ubuntu screen shot. I hit "Print Screen" and a box pops up asking me to save the screen shot and it shows me a little thumbnail of the screen shot. Imagine that, the one key that is actually called "Print Screen" does what it is supposed to do. I have both you fools beat. BOOYAH!

(edited)
print screen, open paint, ctrl+v to paste, ctrl + s to save. help me, i'm a mac user, how many steps is that?

you didn't say that in your post sorry. in my book, hitting print screen is taking the screen shot.

in vista there is a gadget that lets you select the area to screen shot and then auto saves it as any number of file types. sadly it doesn't seem to work with 64bit vista and the maker is no where to be found. :(

Edited by Cujo

I didn't say it would be EASY to do...

Then you've lost me. If I wanted things to be hard, I'd run Solaris.

for so called "computer experts" you kids don't know how to use google very well.

I don't call myself an expert in anything, and I do know how to use Google. The key phrase I used involved whether or not it was in the license agreement. I think it's clear from the fact that you linked to a site with "warez" in the URL that it's NOT condoned. Sorry, not an acceptable option. GLHF.

I have no problem with Mac OS X. I think it looks pretty. But if we're talking about cost and whatnot, I'm surprised nobody's mentioned the Mac Mini (or perhaps I skim too quickly). That seems to me to be an excellent value proposition: Get yourself into a new computer, which is a pretty decent machine, and you don't have the whole "monitor + machine = all trash next upgrade" thing that some people get stuck on (my monitor is ten years old and still going, and I still use an old PS/2 clicky keyboard). Very affordable. Looks like a mutant block of albino tofu, but that's alright, my cases usually make me look like Dr. Frankenstein.

I'm getting an apple tattoed to my face.

lol! Post pics!

The key phrase I used involved whether or not it was in the license agreement. I think it's clear from the fact that you linked to a site with "warez" in the URL that it's NOT condoned. Sorry, not an acceptable option. GLHF.

just because it's not possible without effort doesn't mean it's illegal does it?

example: I legally purchased a copy of Windows XP Pro when it came out (also XP Pro 64bit when it came out). My CD became scratched and I couldn't find a suitable replacement so I downloaded a "cracked" copy of XP Pro and used it. I never installed it on more than 1 machine and I never shared it with anyone else. Was that illegal?

that is the thought process I would go through for OS X. If you purchase it legally, independent of a PC...is it illegal for you to install it on something that it doesn't naturally support?

If I figured out a way to get an XBox to run a legal copy of Windows XP...is that illegal?

that is the thought process I would go through for OS X. If you purchase it legally, independent of a PC...is it illegal for you to install it on something that it doesn't naturally support?

Yes, it is. Read the EULA and take note that the code is being altered for the MAC OS to run on the PC. Not Legal.

Yes, it is. Read the EULA and take note that the code is being altered for the MAC OS to run on the PC. Not Legal.

In fact, if I recall from an article I read (possibly in the WSJ, but I can't recall where at this point) it involves circumventing an encrypted file, which not only makes it illegal but quite clearly violates the DMCA. You terrorist.

But even if it weren't illegal, it's not a supported configuration and it's against the spirit of the sale. Who do I go to for support? If I'm going to spend $130 on an OS, I want someone to hold accountable. Otherwise, there are plenty of free options out there which may not be as pretty/slick, but are free.

I don't mean to come down hard on ya, Playaa, I'd personally like to try out a Mac myself for awhile, but this is definitely out of the scope of things I want to get in to. As to the other things being illegal? I'm no lawyer, and it seems copyright law is one of the most strongly contended areas of law currently. Even if I were a lawyer, I don't think I'd be out commenting on what is and isn't legal. It seems that what is illegal is what a court of law decides is illegal.

Why use Mac or Windows when you can get Ubuntu for free. Not only that but the screen capture works with just one button push each and every time. Ignore these commercial software fools and listen to me; go to http://www.ubuntu.com and download it NOW! It costs nothing more than a little bit of time and a blank CD-R to put it on. You could even buy 10 CD-R's and try out the different flavors of Ubuntu. There is Ubuntu: Christian Edition, Ubuntu Satanic Edition, Kubuntu, Ubuntu Studio, and the list goes on. Even the newest version is available in Beta form and if you do not mind a some updating for the next couple of weeks -in which case you will get closer and closer to Heaven with each update Guaranteed- you will have the best OS ever released in the history of man! Wait no longer, go there now and be able to screen capture with ease!

Edited by ZeroDamage

Why use Mac or Windows when you can get Ubuntu for free. Not only that but the screen capture works with just one button push each and every time. Ignore these commercial software fools and listen to me; go to http://www.ubuntu.com and download it NOW! It costs nothing more than a little bit of time and a blank CD-R to put it on. You could even buy 10 CD-R's and try out the different flavors of Ubuntu. There is Ubuntu: Christian Edition, Ubuntu Satanic Edition, Kubuntu, Ubuntu Studio, and the list goes on. Even the newest version is available in Beta form and if you do not mind a some updating for the next couple of weeks -in which case you will get closer and closer to Heaven with each update Guaranteed- you will have the best OS ever released in the history of man! Wait no longer, go there now and be able to screen capture with ease!

is it 64bit and can i play games?

I've found that WINE leaves a lot to be desired with regards to playing games, but it's coming along. There's also emulation for most (maybe all now, but I don't think so) of .Net 2.0 code...That's huge! I haven't tried it myself, so I don't know how it works, but I'm sure ZD can fill in the blanks.

As far as screenshots go, I prefer SnagIt so I can grab what I need and annotate it, but that's because I often don't want a whole screen and I usually have to explain to other people what I'm capturing. Is there a program for Linux that allows you to grab certain portions of the screen? IF so, does it let you annotate it?