why do you guys like mac so much?

Cujo

• Replies 141
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have a friend who is a cellphone addict...he works in a cell phone store and knows everything there is to know about cell phones. When I recently told him I was looking for a new cell phone and that I was thinking of getting an iphone, he went off on me about how it doesn't do this and it doesn't do that and blah blah blah. My biggest argument was that I wanted a phone that made phone calls, got on the internet (mainly to use google maps) and occasionally did text messages. Now, pretty much all of his arguments had nothing to do with any of that...they had to do with hardware and price and other features I didn't want.

When you sit at your desk at work (or at home), do you find yourself more easily motivated and inspired to work by a cluttered environment or by a crisp, clean workspace?

personally, I am a minimalist...I want things to be clean and neat and visually appealing. That's exactly what Macs give me.

When I bought my macbook pro, I did it so that I would be able to program in a Ruby on Rails environment in the same way that the Rails developers do, and I figured I'd spend 90% of my time using it with Bootcamp to run Windows and play games. It's been a month since I even booted up under Boot Camp. I do not ever want to go back to Windows as my primary home operating system...ever ever ever again. OSX is 10,000 times more pleasing on the eye, easier to use (once you readjust yourself from Windows) and robust.

I still have to use Windows at work (I am a .Net programmer after all) and I find the OS worse and worse every time I log in for the day.

I have VLC Player on my pc at work and on my Mac. At work, sometimes I'll be watching a video and it will have an error (due to a sound problem or an encoding problem or whatever)...the video will freeze and then either VLC will freeze and cause the system to slow down; or VLC will just abruptly quit.

If I watch the same video at home on my MAC, I get the error at the same time in the video...but the video keeps playing while the error displays, I hit "Dismiss" and the error goes away...and the video keeps playing...

I used to love laughing at my friend whose entire family is Mac users (his dad is a DBA for Boeing and refuses to have anything but Macs in his house, except for his work laptop)...now I'm a diehard Mac user.

it's just fundamentally better at everything I've ever wanted to do with a computer EXCEPT gaming...and using Bootcamp I've had no problems whatsoever on running games that I didn't even expect to be able to run. My Mac runs CS:S at full settings just fine and dandy...in fact it ran it BETTER at Fragfest than the gaming computer I rented for the weekend.

so why do I like macs so much? They're visually pleasing, easy to use and they just work.

I've come to the realization that not everything is about gaming. Unless you need to support the OS or game, there is little need for a Windows based operating system. The system I am on right now at home is a Ubuntu Studio OS based on the 7.04 build of Ubuntu. (ubuntustudio.org) I could never go back to Windows as my primary office/every-day-use operating system. I discovered that this system still has a lot of life left in it after removing Window XP and putting Ubuntu on it. I can do EVERYTHING that I did before for the exception of using my password manager natively; I am using Windows XP in a VirtualBox virtual machine. That is the only thing that I use XP for now.

With that said, Apple screwed up hardcore with their stupidity of blocking out 3rd party applications on the iPhone. I can understand locking out other cell phone providers on it, BUT disabling all the other programs that people use on it was just plain stupid. I had been thinking about picking up an iPhone for the purpose of just using it as a PDA with the WiFi and using the WiFi with Skype for some "phone" usage when I was in a wifi area. That has now changed and it looks like Apple is going to continue their Stalin tactics with regards to this. I am no longer as certain as I was before about getting an iPhone and I am really disappointed with all of this. I got to play with one last week (before the firmware update) and what you could do with it was cool and it looked and functioned super cool to boot. My issue with Apple is their unmovable stance on opening up their hardware and this deal with the iPhone. With all of that said, Apply products look amazing and I am looking to get a MacBook Pro in the coming months.

Do not get me started on Windows. I swear I spend more time cleaning up viruses and the like from my users machines than I do anything else. XP is to the point now where it is very stable and usable but MS is pushing Vista which is a bloated POS unless you have 2GB or more of memory and applications crash all the time. I have it on my gaming system for DX10 and every time I close any Source based game it crashes and others crash too. Bioshock gave me a buttload of problems and do not get me started on steam itself. My work machine is somewhat stable but I had to install another Gig of RAM just so it would be usable and this is after I tweaked it to the point of being almost useless. Yeah, Windows has more applications than any other OS but you are more than likely going to find a free alternative with Linux and a lot of times they are better. Try out TomBoy on Ubuntu sometime; it is the best note taking application I've ever used.

With that said, Apple screwed up hardcore with their stupidity of blocking out 3rd party applications on the iPhone.

i disagree. the stupidity was by design of running every stinking process as root. everything. i do NOT want just any random 3rd party app having root access to a device that has all of my contacts (hello $300 spam device), international calling (on my dime), and who knows what else.

of course, had they never made that decision in the first place, then yeah, it'd be nice to have my 3rd party apps back (which, btw, you can still install, even over the 1.1.1 firmware). your choice.

With that said, Apple screwed up hardcore with their stupidity of blocking out 3rd party applications on the iPhone.

i disagree. the stupidity was by design of running every stinking process as root. everything. i do NOT want just any random 3rd party app having root access to a device that has all of my contacts (hello $300 spam device), international calling (on my dime), and who knows what else.of course, had they never made that decision in the first place, then yeah, it'd be nice to have my 3rd party apps back (which, btw, you can still install, even over the 1.1.1 firmware). your choice.

Well sure, if you decide to go to just any random website and install any application that you see. In reality, if any of these commonly used apps had spyware or anything of the sort in them, people would have and/or will find out and we will know about it. All Apple has to do is open up an API on the iPhone that is not "root" based to allow 3rd party apps and everyone will be happy.

one thing windows users can do that mac users can't, shut the heck up about their OS

That's because they are too busy updating 2 virus programs, 3 antispyware programs and rebooting every 10 minutes.

Edited by ZeroDamage

one thing windows users can do that mac users can't, shut the heck up about their OS

I agree, the whole basis of Macintosh advertising is, "Hey, look at us, we are cooler than Microsoft."

That's because they are too busy updating 2 virus programs, 3 antispyware programs and rebooting every 10 minutes.

Who would spend time writing a virus or spyware program for such a small population of computer users? Isn't the idea behind a virus to infect as many computers as possible?

Edited by VooDooPC

zd, all the problems you mentioned with windows have either to do with gaming or inexperienced users. if osx had the same install base as windows i'm sure it would be just as vulnerable if not more so simply because EVERYONE with a mac would have the same os and the same hardware.

i have 0 problems with windows for my day to day tasks. web browsing, e-mail, msn and watching all kinds of hd movies without event. i've never got a virus or spyware as long as i've been behind a router.

tell me something guys. can i watch an x264 1080p movie or tv show smoothly on a mac?

whether macs look good or not is all personal preference. when i can build my own mac is when i'll consider switching.

to answer playaa's question. i made this thread just to get a reaction to the articles. we all know what side of the camp we're on. fact is though, we all found out about gc on a pc, not a mac. always remember you wouldn't be on this forum if it weren't for windows.

zd, all the problems you mentioned with windows have either to do with gaming or inexperienced users. if osx had the same install base as windows i'm sure it would be just as vulnerable if not more so simply because EVERYONE with a mac would have the same os and the same hardware.

That is only partially true. 1. IE is built into Windows. I can install Firefox all day long but can not make die-hard IE users like something else

2. IE drive by infections. Need I say more? 3. Outlook Express is the default mail client for XP and it is as insecure as a Chinese made comdom.

4. Windows ME. 5. Windows ME 6. Windows ME 7. Microsoft building a new network stack for Vista. Why exactly? Bad Idea. 8. Did I say Windows ME? 9. Bloated OS's with too much junk no one needs and not enough of what we do need. A secure OS out of the box. 10. How much is Vista Ultimate?

Do not get me wrong now, I am not a Windows hater. I just think each OS has its uses. My Mac users at work are as dumb as a broken light bulb. That says a lot about a good portion of Mac users. I guess I can say the same about a good portion of Windows users but at least Windows users know how to reboot their machine. Linux is close to being noob friendly but not quite there yet. Maybe Ubuntu 7.10 will be as close as Linux has ever gotten. I encourage everyone to try it out after being released for a few weeks and see what you think. Try Kubuntu if you do not like the Ubuntu flavor as Kubuntu's GUI is more like a Windows XP Interface. (Uses the KDE interface versus the Gnome interface is Ubuntu)

while i agree with the ie being built into windows part and all the excess fat that comes with windows, i don't think outlook express is a major problem. very few home users actually use it. most are on webmail of some form.

i would love to see what would happen if all the worlds virus and spyware writers turned their attention to macs.

i can sort of look at switching to osx or ubuntu like switching from xp to vista only much worse. there are so many little things i like about xp that vista kept. very few things i liked about xp aren't in vista but many new things are in vista that i like more and would not be able to get the same functionality elsewhere.

the primary reason i'm running vista over xp right now is i don't need a floppy for my raid. heck, i don't even need raid drivers. vista recognizes my raid 0 and my raid 10 without issue.

with linux i'd have to pray for the driver support. with osx i don't have a hope in hell.

thankfully i have a very high end computer and don't have any problems with vista. i'm sure if i did i'd look for alternatives but at this point everything is fine and dandy and works just the way i like it.

:hug: cujo

So far, every argument I have ever heard for using a Mac has involved some degree of the user not being able to figure out how to do it in Windows.

except for my entire post up there......

:shrug03:

that's true...what point is there in talking about Windows though? I mean, the reason I talk about OSX is because I really believe it's worth using...Windows...not so much.

I mean, not even 3 months ago I was a die hard Windows user. Then I got my Macbook Pro and don't ever want to use anything but OSX as my main operating system.

I'll even admit that the biggest draw for me for Macs (and all Apple products) is that they are visually pleasing. If you go to your doctors office and see all the pretty leather chairs and nice stainless steel table legs and all the plants and hear the little portable fountain...do you think to yourself "Oh, this doctor must be horrible because he's trying to put me in a state of calm...must go find a doctor with chainsaws in his waiting room!"

Human beings are more productive and happy when their environment is visually pleasing to them...so yeah...I like my computer and its OS to look pretty.

I'll even admit that the biggest draw for me for Macs (and all Apple products) is that they are visually pleasing. If you go to your doctors office and see all the pretty leather chairs and nice stainless steel table legs and all the plants and hear the little portable fountain...do you think to yourself "Oh, this doctor must be horrible because he's trying to put me in a state of calm...must go find a doctor with chainsaws in his waiting room!"

Human beings are more productive and happy when their environment is visually pleasing to them...so yeah...I like my computer and its OS to look pretty.

are you saying my computer isn't visually pleasing??? :D

My computer was visually pleasing in its oh-so-sexy P180 case...

plus I could even open it up and change out parts and stuff without worrying about Steve Jobs tracking me down and setting my house on fire. :D

mactastic!

** couple of interesting tidbits found on apple.com **

1. The highest-end graphics cards available for the Mac Pro are the X1900XT and Quadro FX 4500. A little surprised no 8000 series nvidia stuff - the macbook pro even offers an 8600M GT for the low low price of $2000 base for a 15".

2. They sell Microsoft mice in the apple store. Maybe they'll stop once they figure out how to make two button mice main-stream ;)

** ok you can resume your whole "you have to restart every 10 minutes and viruses etc. etc. etc. now **

I love some harmless banter about stuff like this, good times :D

the macbook pro even offers an 8600M GT for the low low price of $2000 base for a 15".

there laptops are in line with most companies price wise(put the exact specs into dell and your within 100 bucks) feel free to google "price comparison apple vs dell" lots of articles about this, and i agree the mac pro should have a beefier card, but the quadro is meant for video editing.

i would like to add, yes macs are more expensive, but you can not tell me you hold a dell and then a macbook or mbp and you can say the dell has better craftmanship and feels more sturdy.

Buying a Dell is like buying a Ford and maxing out the options, sure its less expensive than a bmw but the quality isn't there.

your pc may be visually pleasing when it's in a nice case...but your OS definitely ain't (not without lots of customization).

I mean, my next "pc" may in fact be one I build and install OSX on it (yes this is possible). I think I'm mainly in love with OSX over XP than I am with Macs vs PC's.

your pc may be visually pleasing when it's in a nice case...but your OS definitely ain't (not without lots of customization).

I mean, my next "pc" may in fact be one I build and install OSX on it (yes this is possible). I think I'm mainly in love with OSX over XP than I am with Macs vs PC's.

Playaa it's all personal preference. I find XP visually pleasing and find Mac OS X strange and discombobulated... I just don't like it. For me I don't find anything special about Mac OS X and would never want a Mac. You say they are clean, visually pleasing, simply, and sturdy. They're too simply for me, and I can't pick the parts I want so.... why?

I do actually like Linux, though I would not like it as my main OS, especially since there are no open source drivers for Creative X-Fi cards.

Sure windows isn't perfect, and Microsoft is a greedy company... but El Jobs looks pretty bad most of the time too.