why do you guys like mac so much?

Cujo

I thought that if you messed with drivers, settings, and strange 3rd party applications on a mac that Steve Jobs sent out his hit squad to beat down your door, beat the ever living crap out of you, then erase your memory of the events that just transpired.

No, no, no....he strikes your soul down immediately from on high. See, The Great Lord of the Dark (Steve Jobs) can see inside your very being, and when you have thoughts of using someone else's programming or hardware, it makes him furious--thus burning you out on the spot. :-)

In all seriousness though, I honestly can't remember the last time that the laptop I'm on right now crashed. My desktop at home hasn't crashed at all yet, though, admittedly it's only been together for 'bout 3 months (something like that).

I mess with drivers, and I tweak everything. Bottom line: XP is nowhere NEAR as unstable as Mac users tend to claim it is. OSX is a HECK of a lot more stable than the previous Mac OS's, however. For the first time ever, when I first tried using Mac OSX, I couldn't walk up to the machine, press three keys and the SINGLE mouse button and freeze the thing. Every other Mac before that used to freeze right up. Didn't matter which keys I pressed either. Oddly enough, I've never been able to freeze Windows like that :-)

• Replies 141
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

alright fine, I'll admit that Windows XP is leap years ahead of previous versions of Windows when it comes to not crashing (anyone remember Windows ME?)...but I still wouldn't feel confidant in launching every single application on my work computer at the exact same time even though this thing is a dual 3.0ghz with 3 gigs of ram. My 2.0gh dual core Mac with 2 gig of ram handled it perfectly fine though.

alright fine, I'll admit that Windows XP is leap years ahead of previous versions of Windows when it comes to not crashing (anyone remember Windows ME?)...but I still wouldn't feel confidant in launching every single application on my work computer at the exact same time even though this thing is a dual 3.0ghz with 3 gigs of ram. My 2.0gh dual core Mac with 2 gig of ram handled it perfectly fine though.

I'm sure my 3.0ghz Core2Duo PC at home could do it no problem, and I've opened several on this laptop which has a 2.2 Turion 64 chip in it (wish I would've waited a few more months until core2duos game out..lol)

Really, just concede the point that XP is pretty freakin' stable, I conceded the point that OSX is also pretty freakin' stable :peace:

What possible usefulness could launching every app on your computer have?

I've heard that explorer.exe is way more memory intensive then it should be, but still... it's not as if you have any need for launching all your apps at once.

What possible (legal) usefulness could my car have for able to hit 165 miles per hour? None, but it's still nice to know that it can do it.

i don't think this is a good analogy. going 165mph is very useful. i) it gets you there faster and ii) it gives you a wicked adrenaline rush.

also, opening all the programs on your pc is perfectly legal. unless many of them are pirated...

btw, can you get many pirated programs for the mac? i can't say i've really noticed on my torrent sites but typically i filter out the mac stuff so that could be one reason why...

Can you actually use all those programs at once while they are all open? Something tells me they are just glorified icons as you wouldn't have the memory/processing power required to run them all full bore at one time.

Also, no self respecting PC geek ever used ME so that tells us something right there :D

+1 for Zester for using DT for the good of huMANkind

I did in fact burn a cd while watching a movie while I had all those apps open. I wasn't doing anything else though and it ran fine (had an occasional moment of skipping in the movie).

and you can definitely get pirated Mac software, I mean, it's the Internet...you can get anything.

What possible (legal) usefulness could my car have for able to hit 165 miles per hour? None, but it's still nice to know that it can do it.

Maybe that's part of the disconnect. My car cannot hit 165, nor do I care for it to. If I had a nicer car that could do things I neither need nor want, I wouldn't feel any better about it. Likewise, I don't over-purchase my PCs. Sure, I build headroom in so that I can use it five weeks later without it dragging, but I doubt my old lumbering lummox of a machine would quickly open all of my apps and I'm okay with that.

...you can get anything.
that's a capital Anything.

oh golly me. gem!

It's for people like me who constantly mess with drivers and settings and strange programs that it doesn't always work beautifully.

At this point in the "Great Debate" every PC user's head asploded as playaa divided by zero.

roflmao.jpg

may this thread live forever!

• 1 year later...
(edited)

necro-thread ftw.

I was looking for a thread that talked about Vista gadgets that were cool/handy (which apparently doesn't exist) and ran across this gem of a thread.

SJ stated he never wanted it to die, so I thought I'd do everyone a favor and poke around in the ashes a bit to restart the flame.

Epic Mac Fail:

206346391_fb7b9fad78.jpg

"They just work." :biglaugha:

Edited by boiler