Help Build a $10k machine

Playaa

So a friend of a friend of a friend does what he calls "mass gaming" (which most likely means money farming and leveling on WoW).

He's got $10k that he wants to build a new machine with for this purpose (will also be used for "multimedia editing").

this is what he's looking at so far:

1 - ASUS L1N64-SLI WS Dual L (1207FX) NVIDIA nForce 680a SLI MCP SSI CEB AMD Motherboard

2 - AMD Athlon 64 FX-74 Windsor 3.0GHz 2 x 1MB L2 Cache Socket F (1207 FX)

2 - BFG Tech BFGE88768UOCE GeForce 8800Ultra 768MB 384-bit GDDR3 PCI Express x16 HDCP Ready SLI Supported OC Edition Video Card

2 - PNY XLR8 2GB (2 x 1GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 800 (PC2 6400) Dual Channel Kit Desktop Memory

1 - Sound Blaster X-Fi Elite Pro 7.1 Channels 24-bit 192KHz PCI Interface Sound Card (Black/Silver)

12 - Western Digital Caviar GP WD10EACS 1TB 5400 to 7200 RPM 16MB Cache SATA 3.0Gb/s Hard Drive

4 - HP LP3065 Black-Silver 30" 12ms (8ms average G to G) DVI Widescreen LCD Monitor 300 cd/m2 1000:1

1- Lian Li PC-343B Modular Cube Case - Black http://www.xoxide.com/lian-li-pc-343b-case.html

2 - Hiper Type-R 580W Modular Power Supply - Black (SLI Certified) http://www.xoxide.com/hiper-power-supply-black.html

1 - ASUS Dual Panel Black and Beige 16X DVD-ROM 48X CD-ROM ATAPI/E-IDE DVD-ROM Drive Model DVD-E616A3

if you could build a $10k machine for his purposes...what would you do? (he wants a good DVD/CD Burner as well, it's not listed up there)

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

(edited)

wow this is going to be really fun...

any high end graphics card

power supply max watts...

cd drive.. whoopidy doo

THIS MOTHERBOARD = $799

4 of these bad boys..Quad Core 1.8Ghz 359x4= $1436

8 of 2x2 Gig memory 269x8 = $2152

This leaves you with 16 CPU's, and 32 gigs of ram since we can't buy RAM in 4 gig sticks yet, we can only use half the capacity..

with this setup, you would have tons of money left over for the rest, but the only downfall is no SLI...

To be more practical... I would actually buy a server motherboard for two intel CPU's. I would then get two quad core's and about half the ram...

*EDIT*

of course you would want to go with about 4 of 15k RPM SCSI hard drives Raid 0+1

*EDIT 2*

don't forget the 32"-40" LCD TV that will do a 1280x1024 resolution

Edited by NOFX

(edited)

i'm trying to figure out how you're going to set up 4 30" monitors. does that motherboard even support 12 hard drives? wait a month or two to see the new amd cpus and the new intel cpus go head to head.

he could buy a wow machine for less than $1000. then he'd have to make $9000 less to be profitable...

edit - the big thing i'm trying to figure out is why aren't you talking him into a mac??? isn't there a super high performance mac he can get? install boot camp for the games and away you go.

Edited by Cujo

edit - the big thing i'm trying to figure out is why aren't you talking him into a mac??? isn't there a super high performance mac he can get? install boot camp for the games and away you go.

Heck if he plays WoW he probably would love a Mac!

But seriously, gold farming is illegal in North America as far as I know. :shrug03:

I'm proud to say that I have absolutely no idea as to the details of how one would "gold farm" nor can I imagine a practical reason to do so.

I can't condone spending $10,000 for this purpose. Drop 2k for a screaming fast "normal" gaming rig, get a huge monitor, then buy a macbook pro with the rest so playaa/sj/emtoo stay off your back :P

$10k is a waste. Is he going to run Windows 2k3 server? If not, he's going to have to run Large Address Aware to get more than 2GB per game session, which is apparently pretty flaky seeing as most games AREN'T Large Address Aware:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/555223

http://msdn2.microsoft.com/en-us/library/aa366778.aspx

Of course, he could have one heck of a multitasking machine with 64-bit Windows. The desktop environment is simply not built to make use of that much machine.

I say buy him a Mac Pro with one heck of a display, boot camp it and pocket the remaining, oh, $6k. Or build a $4k PC, whatever. $10k on a desktop is obscene.

you should seriously just slap this guy for wanting to waste 10k.

Take his money and build him a 2k computer that will max windows XP out.

If I were really had alot to spend on a rig...

two quad core intels..

4 or 8 gigs of ram,

I would raid some raptors

dual boot VISTA and Debian

32" 1080p LCD TV for my monitor

SLI(if you can get that on a server board) of some sweet graphics cards..

Anything more would be unpractical.. heck what I said above is unpractical, but It is one beast of a machine for about $3-4k

Antec Nine Hundred Black Steel ATX Mid Tower Computer Case - Retail

XFX MB-N680-ILT9 LGA 775 NVIDIA nForce 680i LT SLI ATX Intel Motherboard - Retail

2 - BFG Tech BFGE88768UOCE GeForce 8800Ultra 768MB 384-bit GDDR3 PCI Express x16 HDCP Ready SLI Supported OC Edition Video Card - Retail

Antec TruePower Quattro TPQ-1000 ATX12V / EPS12V 1000W Power Supply - Retail

Intel Core 2 Quad Q6700 Kentsfield 2.66GHz LGA 775 Processor Model BX80562Q6700 - Retail

OCZ Platinum 4GB(4 x 1GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 800 (PC2 6400) Quad Channel Kit Desktop Memory Model OCZ2P8004GQ - Retail

LOGISYS FP521 52-in-1 USB 2.0 Card Reader - Retail

4 - Western Digital Raptor X WD1500AHFD 150GB 10,000 RPM Serial ATA150 Hard Drive - OEM

Logitech G15 Gaming Keyboard - Retail

SAMSUNG 245BW Black High Glossy 24" 5ms DVI Widescreen LCD Monitor with Height Adjustment - Retail

Logitech G5 2-Tone 6 Buttons 1 x Wheel USB Wired Laser Mouse - Retail

ASUS 18X DVD±R DVD Burner with 14X DVD-RAM Write and LightScribe Black PATA Model DRW-1814BL - OEM

Creative 70SB046A00000 7.1 Channels PCI Interface Sound Blaster X-Fi XtremeGamer Fatal1ty Professional Series - Retail

ZALMAN CNPS9500 AT 2 Ball CPU Cooling Fan/Heatsink - Retail

Antec 761345-75024-0 120mm Blue LED Case Fan - Retail

Creative Inspire P7800 90 Watts 7.1 Speaker - Retail

WACOM Intuos3 PTZ630 6" x 8" Active Area USB Tablet - Retail

SUPER TALENT FSD28GC25M 2.5" 128GB SATA Internal Solid state disk (SSD) - Retail ($4,399.00 by itself)

Windows Vista Ultimate

Subtotal: $9,489.77 on NewEgg....that's with monitor as well as keyboard, mouse, and 7.1 speakers....and I'm still under $10,00 :shrug03:

Sgt. Slaughter and Maverick endorse this machine :-)

I put a solid state drive on there (Slaughter thought it up) and left the 4 raptors on there. You put Vista Ultimate 64 bit edition on the Solid State drive, and maybe a few games, and you've still got lightning fast Raptors set up in RAID 0.

Edit: The tablet is for kicks, but there are some pretty cool video editing options you can use with the USB tablet. So, if he's really going to do a lot of editing work, it'd come in handy...

Edited by [LaW]Maverick

(edited)
i'm with boiler. i have no idea what gold farming is...
Gold farming is were you have 2-10 accounts running at one time. You use a bot to control the accounts, and all they do is kill mobs and pick up the gold. They do this 24/7 and then sell the gold for $5/1000 gold. or whatever the current currency to gold maybe at the time. Its not "illegal" but blizzard doesn't like people who sell their "virtual items" on ebay. It violates their motd or something. People make thousands of dollars doing this a day. A guy came into walmart one day, and asked my friend Nate about a PC that would run wow. The guy said he had 16 PCs running in his home. He told my friend Nate that he made around 10,000 dollars a month just on WoW gold. Its too bad I didn't get the guys full name, i would have reported him to blizzard. Farmers are VERY bad for MMORPGS. They run prices up on ingame items.EDITI wouldn't mention gold farming on gamer site forums anywhere... In fact the thread should be locked and or delete imo to avoid blizzards wrath. They're pretty strict about stuff *cough* ipx/lan *cough*. lol.
Don't forget the floppy?
Who uses floppy drives? Edited by Xoul

you should seriously just slap this guy for wanting to waste 10k.

Take his money and build him a 2k computer that will max windows XP out.

No kidding. I'm sorry, but spending $10K on a computer in this day is absolutely idiotic.

I mean, this is from the guys original post:

4 - HP LP3065 Black-Silver 30" 12ms (8ms average G to G) DVI Widescreen LCD Monitor 300 cd/m2 1000:1

so I think 1 monitor is below his intended target.

:)