Anti-Virus

mookie

I'm reinstalling soon because AVG is getting flaky (demands a reboot after every single update) and the computer's slowing down. Once I get back up I'm looking to install something else for anti-virus. Looking back a short way in this forum it seems like NOD32 is a solid choice. Is this still a good buy, or is there a better anti-virus program out there now?

As a side-note: does anyone know if there's much risk of Firefox picking something up in normal usage? Right now I'm figuring that I can run for a while (days) with a NAT hiding all my IP ports, sticking to reputable websites, and just not downloading any trojans.

Be a man, surf naked!

Do you really need antivirus for surfing the web? I've been on the net for 12 years and have only had 1 virus. Yeah it was from a P2P network so that was my fault. Of course I've never used IE, it was always Netcape and now Mozilla so that may have helped.

I got rid of AVG when I found out that it thinks FEAR is a virus, and deletes the program. I switched to avast! and it's much better. It comes with all kinds of protection enabled, but I just scaled it down to pure anti-virus.

Avast seems to auto-update correctly, while AVG has problems on my systems (always have to manual update).

I switched to NOD32 on Cujo's recommendation when doing 3 fresh installs on our home pcs. I've had no issues what so ever with it, been incredibly happy, it seems to require minimal maintenance with a very small footprint.

The deal they have for up to 3 pcs seems very good value as well.

I got rid of AVG when I found out that it thinks FEAR is a virus, and deletes the program. I switched to avast! and it's much better. It comes with all kinds of protection enabled, but I just scaled it down to pure anti-virus.

Avast seems to auto-update correctly, while AVG has problems on my systems (always have to manual update).

It's weird, first Mookie and now you... I've never had any trouble with AVG but oh well...

Maybe it's different for different people *Gasp* noes!

As a side-note: does anyone know if there's much risk of Firefox picking something up in normal usage? Right now I'm figuring that I can run for a while (days) with a NAT hiding all my IP ports, sticking to reputable websites, and just not downloading any trojans.

I've been using Firefox for years with no active protection, no issues at all....and I have even wandered into a few dark alleys from time to time :) I do run spybot and adaware once a month or so just to check..but it never finds anything of any importance. When I used to use IE...seemed like I was reformatting 3 times a year from the crap I picked up.

I've been using Firefox for years with no active protection, no issues at all....and I have even wandered into a few dark alleys from time to time :) I do run spybot and adaware once a month or so just to check..but it never finds anything of any importance. When I used to use IE...seemed like I was reformatting 3 times a year from the crap I picked up.
Do you really need antivirus for surfing the web? I've been on the net for 12 years and have only had 1 virus. Yeah it was from a P2P network so that was my fault. Of course I've never used IE, it was always Netcape and now Mozilla so that may have helped.

Exactly...the only viruses I ever get are because I do stupid things...and as I said I literally do the equivalent of rolling around naked in a hospital dumpster while on the internet.

It's my opinion that the average user is over concerned with virus protection. The best virus protection I can recommend is to always remember that random women never send random men their picture with an invite to chat on MSN...EVER.

i think they're 900 #s

i use Avast! & have no problems other than, like most anti-virus, they slow down the startup b/c they look to update themselves on every boot up.

use it on all my parent's and bro's pc, my laptop, and at work.

i have clamwin on portableapp on my flash drive, it's nice to have when wants to scan something on a unfamiliar pc.