Pro-Zan Post

Belphagor

This is also not really a Zan topic but it follows with some of the thinking above.

Stats need an adjustment for incentive (for those that care about stats)...

Currently Kill points are MUCH better than objectives overall. Even if you have double the points of your victim 2k vs 1k- you get 2.5 pts per kill using a 1.0 mod weapon.(ak/m4etc)- a diffusal or bomb explosion is only 5... and plant is 2. For even point opponents- 1500 vs 1500 etc- you'd be getting 5 points per kill- as MUCH as a difuse/explosion- so there is little incentive for objectives. I'm not saying jack the objective points up- but lower the kill points (I've seen them as low as 2 on other servers for pt mod.)- so (V/K * weapmod * 2) instead of (V/K * weapmod * 5) like it is today. (Mac10 is weapmod 1.5 for example)

Not that many have changed how they play since the HLx stats have been up but rewarding the teamDM is built into the stats as they are set up now- and not teamplay rewards.

Also the mod to teamslay on explosion or difuse would be a nice incentive as well- I'd vote for that to be in the game.

Bel <3 's Objectives!

Expecting people to follow your call for a rush is already a folly in itself.

I disagree completely. People follow my call in a rush, under a set of stairs, to whatever end. Give me a map with a cliff and I'll motivate an entire team off the edge.

...off the edge.

<Fat creeps up to the edge, looks down>

"Uhh, ok. Plan B. Lets flank them from the bottom of the cliff. Hurry up before you pass out from your fall!!"

it annoys me to endless lengths when I am 4th in line about to enter the bombsite, and then the 3 people in front of me magically needs to step off to the side and tie their shoelaces and i end up being first to rush in; i die, and those 3 players come up from behind and take the sloppy seconds; i mean, in this case, from now on, i'm calling for my team to rush and i'll be the last one in

i would expect people who play here regularly to be better than the average lone-gunner and help out the team; its called TEAMwork for a reason; if appropriate, i would expect to have a +1 to my death so my team would win, i would also expect the same from everybody else

if not, i'm just gonna camp spawn EVERY single round. i mean, its a pub right? this is expected right? how does that sound? if every single T just camps on a de map and every single CT camps on cs map

What you're doing is giving yourself an excuse to camp or calling a rush and baiting everyone else. I have nothing to say about the way people are playing currently on Retro. If you think people are baiting, are unhappy about it and want to vent your frustrations, my initial point is that this is not the thread to be doing it.

Edit: If anyone's annoyed, please let me know and I'll take this offline with Undies. My apologies too.

that is not me giving myself an excuse to camp and calling a rush and baiting everyone else; that is me giving those people a taste of their own medicine; anybody that's played with me knows that if i am 1st in line running towards a bombsite, i am 1st in line to go into the bombsite and die, regardless of what gun/armor i have (except when i am awping); i'm also willing to sacrifice to get a +1 win for my team, not caring about my score; what you are saying is that, teamwork is "a folly" in a pub server and we should not expect it from people

quoting from the gc standards:

"Our goal is to fill up any server we have with quality competition, teamplay, and companionship."

yes, i understand this is a pub and teamplay is not to be expected from the drifters that come in and out; but i do expect teamwork from people who play here regularly, not people who bait their entire team;

and if you dont believe that "blindly rushing" is what is best for your team, why not speak up? why not saying something? we have 10 seconds before each round + the time that we have if we are dead the round before; why stay quiet and then bait your entire team and then say your team rushing to take a site is "folly"? you have a microphone -- use it; voice your opinion

on a side note, this is one of the reasons i like playing on dooly's team (yes, i admit it!); although the guy does talk a lot and has crazy plans, he always follows through on them and is a great teamplayer; if we vote over his plans, he wont go do what he wants but goes along with the majority of the team; i dont believe i've seen dooly bait anybody before, let alone an entire team

it annoys me to endless lengths when I am 4th in line about to enter the bombsite, and then the 3 people in front of me magically needs to step off to the side and tie their shoelaces and i end up being first to rush in; i die, and those 3 players come up from behind and take the sloppy seconds; i mean, in this case, from now on, i'm calling for my team to rush and i'll be the last one in

i would expect people who play here regularly to be better than the average lone-gunner and help out the team; its called TEAMwork for a reason; if appropriate, i would expect to have a +1 to my death so my team would win, i would also expect the same from everybody else

if not, i'm just gonna camp spawn EVERY single round. i mean, its a pub right? this is expected right? how does that sound? if every single T just camps on a de map and every single CT camps on cs map

What you're doing is giving yourself an excuse to camp or calling a rush and baiting everyone else. I have nothing to say about the way people are playing currently on Retro. If you think people are baiting, are unhappy about it and want to vent your frustrations, my initial point is that this is not the thread to be doing it.

Edit: If anyone's annoyed, please let me know and I'll take this offline with Undies. My apologies too.

that is not me giving myself an excuse to camp and calling a rush and baiting everyone else; that is me giving those people a taste of their own medicine; anybody that's played with me knows that if i am 1st in line running towards a bombsite, i am 1st in line to go into the bombsite and die, regardless of what gun/armor i have (except when i am awping); i'm also willing to sacrifice to get a +1 win for my team, not caring about my score; what you are saying is that, teamwork is "a folly" in a pub server and we should not expect it from people

"Our goal is to fill up any server we have with quality competition, teamplay, and companionship."

yes, i understand this is a pub and teamplay is not to be expected from the drifters that come in and out; but i do expect teamwork from people who play here regularly, not people who bait their entire team;

and if you dont believe that "blindly rushing" is what is best for your team, why not speak up? why not saying something? we have 10 seconds before each round + the time that we have if we are dead the round before; why stay quiet and then bait your entire team and then say your team rushing to take a site is "folly"? you have a microphone -- use it; voice your opinion

on a side note, this is one of the reasons i like playing on dooly's team (yes, i admit it!); although the guy does talk a lot and has crazy plans, he always follows through on them and is a great teamplayer; if we vote over his plans, he wont go do what he wants but goes along with the majority of the team; i dont believe i've seen dooly bait anybody before, let alone an entire team

smells like a shaft

That's not one of the reason why I joined... If I need companionship I would just call Priscilla Chan. :hug:

That's not one of the reason why I joined... If I need companionship I would just call Priscilla Chan. :hug:

remember last night when you said "Priscilla Chan would not be impressed" to me and then i charged into the bombsite, killing multiple CT's, and singlehandedly saved the T team? think of that moment the next time you make fun of Priscilla Chan and how dangerous my wrath is!

btw, thank you for capitalizing her name since that at least shows some respect

back to the issue at hand: baiting your entire team when your team's consensus is to rush: is this behavior condoned or not by gc standards? if it is fine, i'm going to start doing it too to give those people a taste of their own medicine

First off, Retro is a pub. Expecting people to follow your call for a rush is already a folly in itself. Then blaming them for stopping and getting you killed? Besides, this thread is about Zan, a pro-Zan one at that, not about whining.

This is my biggest pet peve. Its a community. Where we encourage team play. If you dont wanna rush fine. However dont discourage team play. :P k thanks come again.

• 2 weeks later...

I think the biggest problem is that Zan is a regular on our server now (quite regular, more so than Fatty after a week of free Tequila Ponchos) and he definitely doesn't play up to the standards that GC tries to uphold. Sure there are pubbers who come and go that are far worse than Zan, but at the end of the day none of them stay for much more than a round (willfully or not).

This whole situation is upsetting players I would gladly trade Zan for any day of the week. Therefore it needs to stop. I will not warn him any more just to see him doing the same crap the next day.

He isn't registered on the forums as far as I can tell so maybe tonight he'll finally post up (three guess which forum, first two don't count).

I've got the CS itch again and am going to fire it up here soon, and while I haven't played in a long while with or without Zan, I must say that from what I've heard of his attitude and gamesmanship, I want no part of it. The whole reason that I even joined these forums and became a community latch-on was because of the GC CS servers and their rules and spirit of teamwork no matter who was in the server. I am known to call out strats and rushes and love it when we can get a team of mostly pubbers to work together and dominate a map (T's on Aztec, for example).

There are plenty of other pub servers out there. If they don't want to follow GC guidelines in their "pub" server, then they can go elsewhere to bait their teammates and play lone wolf. I'm not an admin (let alone a GC member - for now) but I think you should enforce your guidelines/rules as you have them plastered all over the maps and on the MOTD. Anyone who cries "this is a pub server" can go play in one that doesn't care about what GC stands for.

I do agree that this semi-pub server should hold it's regulars to a higher standard and expect teamwork, completing objectives, etc... but it was also mentioned that he has gotten better. Which would indicate to me, he is learning to adhere to our standards (although slowly). I just think we should give him the benefit of the doubt on this one. There has been improvement. Granted i'm not there as much as other to see his progress of lack of. He seems to be the scapegoat for frustrations from many other regulars. I dunno, I say we just relax and see if we can't train him to be the uber CS-er. It's like a puppy, he pees on the rug, you stick his nose in it. He brings you the morning paper, you take him to the park. You can make the parallels to CS yourself. :)

imo he's better. zan will always be in one place. i don't see that changing.

zan used to camp bomb site exits and pickup kill points but not defuse (or so the allegations go).

zan now dies with the explosion trying to defuse (or so i've seen).

yes, i think he's getting better.

imo he's better. zan will always be in one place. i don't see that changing.

zan used to camp bomb site exits and pickup kill points but not defuse (or so the allegations go).

zan now dies with the explosion trying to defuse (or so i've seen).

yes, i think he's getting better.

+1 on the improvement observation

I don't recall playing with him much since I took a year off from CS, but from what I've read and having played with him quite a bit this weekend during my glorious painful comeback I think he has gotten better.

It's almost comical how he picks a spot on a map and sticks with it for 90% of the rounds on the map. I didn't notice any poor attitude (granted I was on the opposite team almost the entire time), so I guess it's not a big deal right now.

My previous post in this thread was mostly directed to the "it's a pub server" comments, because I obviously feel that the GC server(s) aren't "just another pub server".

I wasn't going to chime in ....but, yea he camps and sometimes tries to defuse and yea he usually picks the easier side. but you know where he is going to be almost every round so that should make it easier to kill him. if he's not successful he'll move. on the other side, we've all made fun of him, even had the whole server adopt their own version of his name, i made a map about him. it brings a little life to the server and more chatter when he's on, that's what i like about this server, the communication between people that have something in common, a game a goal an attititude. Keep it up gc.

On a side note: while I was on this weekend (Friday night I believe?) we had a couple of designated "Zan rounds" where everyone on CT side bought nades and all rushed to his spot and tossed them in his general direction before attempting (poorly) to recover from laughter and cover the sites - it was fantastic for laughs and we even got a couple extra kills in the flak. :D

I believe he moved after that point, but I didn't hear any complaining on his part.

He was in "teamwork" mode on Friday night like I've never seen before so I decided to leave him be. My biggest worry is that he keeps playing like he normally does when no admins/gc are on (ie, mo put your tags on).

He was in "teamwork" mode on Friday night like I've never seen before so I decided to leave him be. My biggest worry is that he keeps playing like he normally does when no admins/gc are on (ie, mo put your tags on).

why should someone with .gc be needed in game for him to play the way he should? This is ridiculous, he deserves a temp ban cause face it he is a regular with all the hours he plays on gc.

why should someone with .gc be needed in game for him to play the way he should? This is ridiculous, he deserves a temp ban cause face it he is a regular with all the hours he plays on gc.

No no no...only to see how he plays, not just because of someone important being there

as I said, if I see him zanning it up anymore i'll drop the hammer

No no no...only to see how he plays, not just because of someone important being there

as I said, if I see him zanning it up anymore i'll drop the hammer

I always carry my beat-down stick with me. If you need to borrow it just let me know.

• 4 months later...
He used to be registered. I'm pretty sure his forum account has been banned several times over the year (Zan is a LOOONNNGGGG timer). My guess now is that he's smurfing under an alias here on the forums.

What do you mean LOOOOONG timer? I don't remember seeing him around 3 or 4 years ago, only in the the past year have I seen him around.