ps3 vs xbox 360

akaM2

ps3 vs xbox 360  

31 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

(edited)
are there any good reasons to get a ps3 over a xbox360 if you don't watch blu-ray?

imo, not really unless there are PS3 exclusive game titles that you would miss (Metal Gear Solid 4, Gran Turismo 5, etc.)

Xbox Live is the real clincher for me. Yes, you do have to pay for it (comes out to around $4/month I believe) but the Friends and game lobby interactions are better fleshed out than PSN. This may be more due to the fact that it's been around longer, but I'm alright with paying for that. Xbox live marketplace is also full of tons of cool stuff like arcade games, demos, game videos, full length movies in HD, etc. - a lot of it free.

The newer 360's that come with the HDMI connections haven't had the chronic RRoD problems the launch units or the DVD read problems. I sold my '06 model 360 and got a new model with HDMI in January and noticed that it's quieter and seems to run a little cooler. I believe all Xbox 360s are covered by a three year warranty now for the RRoD, including the new ones.

Some people say that the PS3 has better graphics - from what I've seen that's debatable on most counts and also very dependent on the game. There are numerous examples of games released for PS3 and 360 that look noticeably better on the 360, and there are a few of them that may look a little better on PS3. Bottom line though, it's never too much of a difference, and if you weren't viewing them side-by-side you probably wouldn't be able to tell a difference. I also prefer the 360 controller - it's the most comfortable and intuitively laid out controller I've ever used for a console.

Obviously the biggest PS3 advantage right now is Blu-Ray. There have been rumors of an external Blu-Ray drive for the 360, but nothing concrete yet. If you don't want or need Blu-Ray though, then you shouldn't need to worry about it.

PS3 also has built in wifi while the 360 doesn't (not sure if all models of PS3 do though).

****** MOST IMPORTANT REASON FOR 360 ******

I believe more GC folks have them! Just off the top of my head, myself, Anonymo, Lev, Jackiechan, and Ebil have them, and I know I've left out several others. Anonymo and I are planning to hit some GTA4 multiplayer craziness in the future too, so you could get in on that as well :D

Edited by boilersax

I traded my roommate 1 free month of rent for his 360, he went out and bought a ps3. I play my 360 every single day and LOVE the fact that I can hook up a usb hard drive to it full of videos and watch them on my television. My roommate plays his PS3 maybe 4 or 5 times a month.

We do not have broadband internet at our house though so maybe he'd play more if he did.

360, definitely. Why? I'll make a list:

-Sony no longer has a huge library of exclusive games (I mean, really, Killzone?)

-You can get your RPG's on the 360 now (which makes me happy)

-Halo 3

-360 is less expensive and has a better game library (in my opinion)

-I agree that the 360 controller is more comfortable and better, but that's just preference as well

-graphical differences are negligible

-360 has better online gaming by a lot

-360 is coming out with a BluRay peripheral...it appears to be a pretty substantiated rumor

-Reverse compatibility on PS3s has been disabled (the lamest move Sony has ever made)

-Microsoft's improved warranty is sweet, and the newer systems have a very low failure rate

I think there's more stuff I'm leaving out, but that would be more than enough for me. :boing:

I'm quite happy with my 360, and I'm happy that MS supports their product--i.e., when they screw up and make a faulty product, they extend their warranty to cover the problem to help their customers rather than just pretending the problem isn't there (PS2 lasers anyone?).

This has been another edition of Mav's 2-Cents :peace:

-360 is coming out with a BluRay peripheral...it appears to be a pretty substantiated rumor

I would love to believe this, but I don't trust anything coming out of China these days ;)

Of course if it's a built-in Blu-Ray and not an external like the HD-DVD add-ons were, then I'm hosed either way.

Don't bring back my memories of the PS2 laser issues.... I sold my 3rd PS2 last year and finally cleansed myself of the angst of the first two PS2s.

Got all three consoles 360, PS3 and Wii... They are all great and has it's individual merits, but PS3 has the best value because of the blueray, in my opinion. PS3 price cut is coming up soon, from what I've heard.

As far as reliability... I've never encountered console failures and I had them all going back to the original Atari (except the controllers :boing: ).

Is reliability such a big problem now-a-days?

I still have my Atari 2600 and my 850xl Atari Computer....whoohoo!!

Well, PS2s had a lot of reliability issues, but the most I've heard about PS3's is that they freeze often (just from what I hear from the GameStop guys I still know and a few friends).

Congrats on the new Box!

If they integrate the BluRay player to the 360--well, I'll sell my old one and buy the new one because I want the player and HDMI ports. I still have the original set up, and a big beautiful 52" HDTV--HDMI would be nice!

I agree with Shoot to some degree about the PS3 being the best value...it was a hard decision...I figure M2 will be playing games mostly and well the library is still much more robust on the 360.

Also, there were rumors last week of Sony dropping BluRay in 2009...not that I believe it but it seems rumors have been flying around quite a bit lately.

I would love to believe this, but I don't trust anything coming out of China these days ;)

Of course if it's a built-in Blu-Ray and not an external like the HD-DVD add-ons were, then I'm hosed either way.

Don't bring back my memories of the PS2 laser issues.... I sold my 3rd PS2 last year and finally cleansed myself of the angst of the first two PS2s.

I have a PS you can buy cheap :-D (PS as in the original Playstation, URNOTE, prior to the PS1 nomenclature).

just ordered the 360

prolly going to receive it monday or tuesday. I have to finish finals this weekend, so I didnt get it in the store :P

Canceled this order. I found out my brother and cousins have gotten ps3's without me knowing. So I bought a ps3, got GTA4, COD4, and Assasins Creed.

All in all I am happy. Add me if you have a ps3, friends name is akam2.

just ordered the 360

prolly going to receive it monday or tuesday. I have to finish finals this weekend, so I didnt get it in the store :P

Canceled this order. I found out my brother and cousins have gotten ps3's without me knowing. So I bought a ps3, got GTA4, COD4, and Assasins Creed.

All in all I am happy. Add me if you have a ps3, friends name is akam2.

F@HFTL

You made the right choice!!!! Why the ps3...the only true reason is the up-side. Wait 3 years when some crazy games are coming out for the ps3 that the 360 will never be able to do because of the hardware limitations. Would u want to go out and buy another XBOX in a few years or just rock out with the ps3.

Maybe I am just a Sony person, but I have owned all three systems and sold the wii's and xbox and still love my ps3. I use it all the time, either for movies (upscaling on reg dvds is great BTW) or music/videos streamed from the pc, to playing RB/GTA4, or any other title that xbox thinks is better for them....

Again we will see in a few years who is still happy.

You made the right choice!!!! Why the ps3...the only true reason is the up-side. Wait 3 years when some crazy games are coming out for the ps3 that the 360 will never be able to do because of the hardware limitations. Would u want to go out and buy another XBOX in a few years or just rock out with the ps3.

Maybe I am just a Sony person, but I have owned all three systems and sold the wii's and xbox and still love my ps3. I use it all the time, either for movies (upscaling on reg dvds is great BTW) or music/videos streamed from the pc, to playing RB/GTA4, or any other title that xbox thinks is better for them....

So...let me get this straight. In three years a good game will finally come out for the PS3 and you think that all us 360 owners will finally be put in our place? I can live with that, 6 years of great gaming on the 360 compared to 1 year of (speculated) great gaming on the PS3, and then in 2010/11 the next generation of consoles come out. Makes sense.

But honestly DNA, Sony fanboys have been spouting the "wait a few years" thing for, well...a few years. When the PS3 launched it was "wait a year or so and all the most insane games will be on the PS3 and they'll be so crazy that the 360 just won't be able to play them". Well you can see how that turned out. Now you want us to wait another 3 years for these purported "crazy/insane/graphically superior to your mom" games to come out? In 3 years the PS3 will be completely obsolete and the next generation Xbox will be out, kicking it's butt to the curb if Sony doesn't have its own nextgen console ready. On that note, everyone on the 360 side will be ready for the upgrade as we'll have had a good 5-6 year run, but you Sony guys will have...a few more years to wait? Yeah, we will see who is happy.

So...let me get this straight. In three years a good game will finally come out for the PS3 and you think that all us 360 owners will finally be put in our place? I can live with that, 6 years of great gaming on the 360 compared to 1 year of (speculated) great gaming on the PS3, and then in 2010/11 the next generation of consoles come out. Makes sense.

But honestly DNA, Sony fanboys have been spouting the "wait a few years" thing for, well...a few years. When the PS3 launched it was "wait a year or so and all the most insane games will be on the PS3 and they'll be so crazy that the 360 just won't be able to play them". Well you can see how that turned out. Now you want us to wait another 3 years for these purported "crazy/insane/graphically superior to your mom" games to come out? In 3 years the PS3 will be completely obsolete and the next generation Xbox will be out, kicking it's butt to the curb if Sony doesn't have its own nextgen console ready. On that note, everyone on the 360 side will be ready for the upgrade as we'll have had a good 5-6 year run, but you Sony guys will have...a few more years to wait? Yeah, we will see who is happy.

NO, what I am saying is that anything on the 360 now can be on the ps3, what is the only game that is not also a ps3 game, what Halo. I can live with that....So yes in a few years when each system has the same games, the hardware end of the 360 will lose out to the ps3. With the fact that a BR player was built in and now Xbox will have another add on that you need to buy if you wanted BR. What will that bring the current cost of the 360 to...2x's the cost of PS3..Lets not forget how many people had to send in thier 360's for repair...how many more are still going to have to keep sending them for repair??

There really is nothing to argue about because the only person laughing is Nintendo...all the way to the bank.