my pc is hurting :(

stutters

went to bed last night, desktop on. woke up this morning, desktop off. turned desktop on, fans whir, monitor stays blank. switch monitor to laptop, monitor works. go back to desktop, still blank, no lights on keyboard, no mouse lightup. disc drive wont open. no led's on front. no post, no bios. just fans.

had to run out to meetings, just about to head home. any tips of things to look for/at?

Sounds like a surge hit your PC during the night. Any thunderstorms roll through your area?

Getting some kind of power is a start. If you have the spare parts, I would first try reseating everything including the CPU and RAM. I would disconnect or remove anything else you do not need including NIC, Hard drives, and Optical drivers. If none of that works, try swapping RAM sticks and/or CPU to see if it is one of those. If still no good, then I would say your Mobo is dead.

That's exactly what my comp did, after all was said and done the mobo had died.

Another note: One time a buddy gave a comp, said it was struck by lightning and would come on but no boot. I took the modem out and voila, perfectly good working comp.

If reseating the ram/cpu doesn't work, swap out your video card with maybe a old PCI one and see if it boots. Then I would swap out the PS, providing you have these floating around or in another computer.

My brothers tower was the victim of a power surge through his house line and he was, unfortunately, using a cheap power supply that didn't protect against such things....sooo, it cooked his PSU, and it cooked his mobo--had to replace them. So that'd be my first test--swap out power supplies after reseating everything, then, if that doesn't work, try your hardware one at a time in another PC if you have access to one.

Much like everyone else was advising.

That's exactly what my comp did, after all was said and done the mobo had died.

Another note: One time a buddy gave a comp, said it was struck by lightning and would come on but no boot. I took the modem out and voila, perfectly good working comp.

If reseating the ram/cpu doesn't work, swap out your video card with maybe a old PCI one and see if it boots. Then I would swap out the PS, providing you have these floating around or in another computer.

had same issue once with a sound card as well

Why are you guys helping out Mr Mac Zealot there?!?!?!

Just kidding sj. Advice already give is good. I'd also suggest purchasing a UPS for future use. Surge protectors are ok but they don't protect your hardware from "brown power".

check for popped caps on the mobo/any kind of burnt hardware smell in the case. if there are no visible issues then try resetting the cmos by either using the jumper or popping the battery for a minute. if that still doesn't work then try a different power supply.

i think you guys are jumping the gun with the whole power surge thing.

GC Alumni
i think you guys are jumping the gun with the whole power surge thing.
i hope so. AFAIK, there wasn't any electrical storms in the area last night. earlier in the day i did pull it apart and give it a cleaning. i had used it fine the rest of the evening, but it turned itself off overnight.

I'd definitely open up your case first, my first guess is something wasn't quite tightly plugged back in. I've had cleaned my case before booted up fine but later suddenly shut down on me. All because my hard drive cord wasn't plugged in fully.

GC Alumni
if nothing else, i got that cd back out of the optical drive. :D

Did you have to drag the CD to the trashcan to get it to eject? Took me a while to figure that one out the first time too.

:lol2:

yeah yeah yeah.

Glad to hear it turned out ok sj.

zd, I have an old Socket A board I could part with but the 939 I got is still in use.

No worries man. I am going to toss the board, and then replace everything with a budget and more modern setup. The RAM goes to my brother-in-law, the HDD's stay since my /home partition is my 300GB drive, and I will sell the CPU and video card or something.....

if nothing else, i got that cd back out of the optical drive. :D

Did you have to drag the CD to the trashcan to get it to eject? Took me a while to figure that one out the first time too.

:lol2:

yeah yeah yeah.

Actually funny story...when doing my sound design course I was working on a post production scene with a class mate who was a little on the ghetto side. We were listening to his CD while cutting up video and he asked for his CD back so I dragged it to the trash and he freaked out saying "Cho guye, why you wanna trash my CD, you fronting?" etc etc...I lol'd.

Actually funny story...when doing my sound design course I was working on a post production scene with a class mate who was a little on the ghetto side. We were listening to his CD while cutting up video and he asked for his CD back so I dragged it to the trash and he freaked out saying "Cho guye, why you wanna trash my CD, you fronting?" etc etc...I lol'd.

That is classic. :biglaugha:

Although I'm guessing the correct spelling at the end there (phonetically at least) is "frontin'"

That is classic. :biglaugha:

Although I'm guessing the correct spelling at the end there (phonetically at least) is "frontin'"

Something like that, he was "gettin twisted"

someone had to tell me that you had to drag programs to the trash to uninstall them. i spent 20 minutes trying to figure out how to uninstall before i finally gave up and called a friend. that trash can has got to be the worst method of doing things on any computer i've ever seen. only on planet apple would "trash" ever mean "eject my cd from the drive".