Peckles and his hobbies

Peckles

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 5 weeks later...

Got a lot of changes to make to this one, but not now. Maybe in a couple weeks, give it time to get outta my head. Pretty simple song. Anyways.

Linky: Carnal in the Morning

Lyrics:

You know what I want,

It's not what I need,

I don't hide the fact

That it's nothing but greed,

I tell you I love you,

And I know that you're mine,

I woke up this morning,

And I feel so divine,

But do you understand that I need this now, more than anything,

And do you feel the way I feel, when I say that I feel

Carnal in the morning, I'll ravage you without warning,

It's not that I'm crude,

It's not that I'm mean,

Is it too much to ask

For you to just give in,

It's not like it's that

Much of a sacrifice,

You could try to enjoy it,

Wouldn't that be nice,

The only thing I want is to start my day with a little fun,

Can't you see that it's the only way to stop me from being

SOLO

You know I really don't think,

That I'm asking for much,

Just a few friendly words,

Maybe a little more touch,

Guess it isn't so bad,

Guess I shouldn't complain,

Because I know tomorrow,

I'll be begging again,

It might be sad, but I really don't care at all, you'll get used to it,

Every time I lean over you, you'll realize you're just like me,

Carnal in the morning, I'll ravage you without warning

(repeat til fade out)

Grabbed a few of the songs, and I was really expecting them to suck... you know, most of the time people post up their hobby music tracks there is good reason they are a hobby.

These could be some really great songs with a better drum machine (or a drummer) and some production work... still, very nice.

• 2 weeks later...

So I wrote a song today. The music's all done, but I have yet to write any actual lyrics for it. So I made up some interim ones that really don't make a whole lot of sense, and I couldn't decide whether I wanted to make the effort and sing them or just speak them, so I combined the two options with horrible, horrible results. I'll probably/hopefully come up with some real lyrics soon.

This one is called (for now) Wind, and here are the links to both versions, with and without crappy vocals:

MP3 With Vocals

MP3 Without Vocals

Lame-o temporary lyrics:

Balance yourself against the wind,

Balance yourself against the ground,

Balance yourself against the world,

Hold yourself against the world,

Walk in the shadow of nobody,

Cast a shadow on nobody,

Shake hands with the shadow of somebody,

Walk with the shadow of everybody,

It's tricky the way the wind winds around you, (x3)

Don't get caught up in the wind that surrounds you,

Take your time, you won't be too late,

Pushing only means that you're pushed,

Take your time, you won't be too late,

Don't fall in to the trap,

If you do, it's hard to get out,

But remember, don't push,

If you do, you'll never get out,

You'll never get out,

(whispered)

(x4)

(after second whispered chorus, with 3rd and 4th)

Face the air, it isn't too fast,

Breathe the air, it might not last,

Taste the air, it isn't too cold,

It moves a little more,

Love the wind, it carries your heart,

Caress the wind, it carries your soul,

Tell the wind to stay away,

Or else it won't come back,

(x2)

Peckles, what kind of computer/program(s) do you use to record? I was looking to start recording perhaps this summer and my friend was thinking about getting an Apple laptop to record with. By the way, we plan on recording guitar, locals, bass, & drums. I'm just curious to see what you are using and if you had any recommendations before we buy needed cpu/software.

It's Tricky to rock a rhyme, to rock a rhyme that's right on time

It's Tricky...it's Tricky (Tricky) Tricky (Tricky)

It's Tricky to rock a rhyme, to rock a rhyme that's right on time

It's Tricky...Tr-tr-tr-tricky (Tricky) Trrrrrrrrrrricky

Peckles, what kind of computer/program(s) do you use to record? I was looking to start recording perhaps this summer and my friend was thinking about getting an Apple laptop to record with. By the way, we plan on recording guitar, locals, bass, & drums. I'm just curious to see what you are using and if you had any recommendations before we buy needed cpu/software.

I use Cubase 4 with an MBox 2 Pro. The list of instruments/plugins that I use (off the top of my head) are RealStrat, RealGuitar, Absynth, FM8, and Sampletank, Guitar Rig 2, CSR (reverb), Cubase's built in delay (I need a better one), T-Racks, various EQs whose names and designs I can't recall.

I ran up quite a bill getting all these (eBay helped a little). As for my computer, I run XP Pro on a 4GB ram, quad core, lots of HDD space, but I'm going to be getting a Macbook pro hopefully within the next 6 months or so, barring any unexpected expenses. I do recommend Mac over PC for this kind of thing, but my PC does the trick well enough for now. Also with Mac, you can use the program Logic, which is similar to Cubase. Has a lot of nice instruments and plugins included though, definitely an edge over Cubase. I'll probably pick up Logic at some point after I get the Macbook.

ProTools is the 'industry standard' in audio recording, allegedly. It is a very good program, definitely a forerunner for straight up audio recording. Great interface, quite powerful, but takes a lot of power. I loved this program when I was at school, but I chose to use Cubase upon graduating as a lot of the stuff I do uses virtual instruments, and I was more comfortable with Cubase in that regard. A version of ProTools also comes with M-Boxes, nice little interfaces with a couple inputs/outputs, headphone jacks, aux inputs, depending on which model you go for.

Another program I'll mention is Propellerhead's Reason, but this one doesn't actually let you record audio in to the program, so it might not be the best for what you're trying to do. It's more aimed toward dance-y techno-y music, but it's still a fun program. You can actually use it in combination with Cubase and Logic, and it comes with a great set of synth instruments as well that you'd be able to add in to your audio mixes done in Cubase or Logic .

As far as plugins for mixing goes, I haven't explored much. T-Racks (mentioned previously) is a great mastering plugin that I use all the time (comes with a compressor, limiter, soft clipper, and basic EQ). I do still want a better Delay plugin and maybe a reverb (CSR isn't too bad).

Cubase 5 also just came out over the past 2 weeks, so I'll be researching in to that a bit, see what's new and improved.

Hope that helps somewhat.

Thanks. That helps a lot. I'm new to the recording world and like I said before, I probably won't even get started for several months or maybe later even. But, this gives me a decent idea of what's in store. You seem to agree that Mac is better than PC for this and this is what I've been hearing from several people. I haven't messed around with the two, but I think I'll end up getting a Mac eventually. I don't know if they come with the inputs I need to plug in a guitar cable, etc. or if I need to mod the Mac, but I'm still trying to learn about this now.

I don't know if they come with the inputs I need to plug in a guitar cable, etc. or if I need to mod the Mac, but I'm still trying to learn about this now.

I think your going to want to get a mixing board. An 8 channel should be sufficient for what you are looking at doing. I don't know a whole lot about this stuff, but my old roommate had a nice set-up. He had some sort of module that he interfaced his computer (via usb) and his mixing board I think with 1/4" jacks.

From what I gather that pedal has a usb connection, so yes you could go out of that in to your computer. However, the pedal only seems to have 1 1/4" input and 1 XLR input, so you'd only be able to really use it for one instrument at a time, so it's not the best for recording a band, I would imagine. I don't know a whole lot about pedals, mind you, but if you're trying to record a band, I'd go with something that has a few more inputs (XLR, 1/4", doesn't really matter, there are adapters for eeeeeverything, a lot of interfaces have the multi input anyways). With effects pedals, I'd hit up your local music store and try it out, ask them what they know. Also be aware that there are plugins for almost anything (though it's true there is no true substitute for the real thing). That being said, Guitar Rig is a great plugin, I use it for most of my guitar sounds, and it can absolutely be used for audio (putting vocals through it can be pretty neat too)

So yeah, technically that pedal would get your guitar/mic to your computer, but only effectively one instrument at a time. I could be reading the specs on it wrong, so if I am, let me know!

From what I heard, you can record 2 instruments at once with that thing. Either mic/guitar, bass/guitar, mic/bass, guitar1/guitar2. I don't know for sure though. Either way, the main problem will be recording the drummer. We'll need some 4-5 mics I think and something with a lot more inputs.

Peckles, what kind of mic do you use for vocals? I was looking into a Shure SM58, but those run at around $90. Someone recommended the Samson R21 Microphone because those are in a pack of 3 for $50. I personally was interested in the Shure SM58, but the price of the other mic is just too good to pass on, not to mention we'd have 3 mics to work with.

What do you recommend and are you familiar with those 2 models?

I have a Samson C03U. I didn't actually buy this mic myself, it was a gift. It's a decent mic, condenser, would be good for vocals, acoustic guitar, piano, cymbals. Unfortunately it's a USB mic, so it's application in larger scale recordings would be less than ideal. I also have a Shure PG58 (SM58's cheap little brother), but since I only really ever record one thing at a time I rarely use it. The SM58 and the R21 are both dynamic mics, and these particular models seem to me to be more geared toward live performance. Dynamic mics have higher durability, but sacrifice the frequency response that condenser mics have. Now, with today's technology, you could use any mic for anything and then do all your tinkering in the mixing process, but personally I'd go with a condenser mic for vocals at least, just based on the idea that the better the quality you start with, the better quality you'll end with. My C03U has an XLR version, the C03 (runs at about 120$, I think) which would do the same as mine, just with a more studio friendly connector and one less piece of gear in the way (analog to digital converter in the mic goes bye bye)

Those mics will get the recordings done, but I think you'll get better results if you go for a condenser. Shure does make some good mics, widely trusted in every aspect so it's hard to go wrong with them, and I've enjoyed my Samson well enough. I'll look up some mics when I get home from work and see if I can post a few.

Avoid the SM58/48 as they are really not that great for studio recording, more for show use as they are built like tanks. Generally you have to crank the gain to get decent level out of them and that's just no good for a home studio.

I got my friend the Behringer C1 last year and for the price ($79 CAD/ $59 USD) it really can't be beat. Condenser and all. Definitely not the greatest but much better for studio vocals than the $100+ SM58/48.

Oops, almost forgot de link

I find with Behringer, you get decent quality stuff, but you really have to treat it well because my experiences show that they're not all that durable (pre-amps, mixers, effects processors) though I haven't tried their mics. Of course, you should treat all your gear with caution, I've just had more bad experiences with Behringer gear than, say, Alesis, Yamaha, Shure, AKG, or Sennheiser. But Behringer has nicer prices.

I find with Behringer, you get decent quality stuff, but you really have to treat it well because my experiences show that they're not all that durable (pre-amps, mixers, effects processors) though I haven't tried their mics. Of course, you should treat all your gear with caution, I've just had more bad experiences with Behringer gear than, say, Alesis, Yamaha, Shure, AKG, or Sennheiser. But Behringer has nicer prices.

LOL why don't you add Midas, Neve and SSL to that list!

Behringer is definitely a cheapo brand and I don't recommend anything from them that costs more than $100

Now, I can attest that they do hold up pretty well. The mic (and 2 channel mixer) I got my buddy still work find after being in this studio for a year...and trust me not much lasts in this "studio"

Prepare to cringe

Warning - Dirty

Ok, even worse

I don't care about you, but smoking is bad for gear!

It's been covered, they don't care. That Akai MPC2000 usually acts as a pedestal for the ashtray until I get there and rearrange things in an effort to be less disgusted.