Media PC's anyone?

Clueless

I am kicking around the idea of building a media center PC. I am mostly interested in having movies on a hard drive with quick access via an on screen menu type system. I would also be interested in being able to record programs without doing the tivo thing....I hate paying a monthly fee for something I can do for free.

So I would basically like to know what you guys are using, and get a few questions answered.

1. How big of a hard drive should I really be thinking about?

2. Can I also do this with Bluerays? I am sure they will take more room.

3. Is there an OS that is easy to use? I want something very streamlined and easy to integrate. I don't want mess with complicated PC software on a daily basis...and the wife will be using this too, so it needs to be user friendly.

4. Have any case/psu suggestions that are quiet?

1.) It depends on how much you want to spend. I'm kicking this idea around too, and was going to start with one or possibly two 1 TB drives. The more space you have, the better. Then again, I plan on putting a LOT of movies and what not on it.

2.) Yes, you can--but I think it's trickier to get past write protection.

3.) Linux has some nice offerings, and honestly, the media extension for Vista is also pretty good, though it requires more horsepower.

4.) http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx...N82E16811129054

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx...N82E16811133029

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx...N82E16811129030

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx...N82E16811129046

I'd probably go with one of those cases. Either that, or buy an ultra slim bare-bones system and tweak it myself. ASUS makes some nice ones....

(edited)

i avoid tivo by simply downloading all my shows. hd with 5.1 is 1.1gb though. on my connection i can get a show in about 15 minutes.

oh and they're usually uploaded within an hour or two of their air time.

Edited by Cujo

GC Alumni
i avoid tivo by simply downloading all my shows. hd with 5.1 is 1.1gb though. on my connection i can get a show in about 15 minutes.

oh and they're usually uploaded within an hour or two of their air time.

Where can I do this?

I have one, my suggestion if you DL or convert movies is to have the biggest amount of storage as your budget will allow.

Processor isn't really the highest priority, but the Pentium duel cores are only like $69. Mobo doesn't matter much, just make sure it's got good reviews.

I also suggest at least 4gb of RAM. As cheap as it is, it would be dumb not to. I have 8gb in mine.

The video card doesn't have to be top shelf to run movies and the like so a decent price should be more of a factor than high end power. I have a 8500gt in mine. Then you need to get a DVI to HDMI cable or adapter. I don't use Blue Ray yet so I went with a cheap Lite-on $23 DVDRW.

If you need a remote I have one I bought by accident (thought it was a usb TV converter lol) I'll sell it to ya for $20 shipped, includes full retail box and works fine.

GC Alumni

I will check out the software, thanks.

And I have another question...does my cd/dvd drive need to be Bluray just to copy the data to a hard drive and not actually watch it from the DVD?

I would also love to see some pics of what you guys are running in your living rooms....still curious about finding a quiet solution too....one that doesnt require 100's of dollars to liquid cool.

Thanks!

I'm not running anything yet, but what I'm going to be running is an AppleTV with Boxee installed on it come Christmas time. Hopefully.

It won't do recording though, but it will download off the internet (as well as have a Bittorrent client).

I will check out the software, thanks.

And I have another question...does my cd/dvd drive need to be Bluray just to copy the data to a hard drive and not actually watch it from the DVD?

I would also love to see some pics of what you guys are running in your living rooms....still curious about finding a quiet solution too....one that doesnt require 100's of dollars to liquid cool.

Thanks!

If you're talking about copying a BR DVD over to your computer, then yes, your drive needs to be a BR drive.

My brother did a media PC. 500 gig hd. an old 3000XP with like 1 gig of ram. He put MythBuntu on it... and its very user friendly and its great!

cost was not a factor just old stuff.

If I were to build one right now, I would build one based on Mythbuntu. http://www.mythbuntu.org/

It is Mythtv but build around Ubuntu and it is updated twice a year. The cool thing about it is that you can create the server part of the backend part really easily and it does all the heavy lifting of recording and converting and all of that jazz. Then you can have as many front ends that you want that connect to the backend and you can stream all of the stuff you want to them. My old ReplayTV Unit has yet to die so I wait until the need arises for me to put together my Myth TV system.

If you go this route, pay attention to the Hardware requirements. The better you do, the less likely of a need for you to have to mess with the command line to fix a problem.

GC Alumni

From what I have read so far...it doesn't take much cpu for a basic htpc unless you want to take advantage of picture in picture features and tivo-like functions, then dual cores seem to really shine.

In my case, I will likely upgrade my gaming machine and reuse my current parts for the htpc. I am using a dual core AMD 5000+ Black Edition, which I have OC'ed to 3.25 ghz with no issues, I think that will be more than adequate. My biggest choices are going to be in video...I need this setup to cooperate with my cable box and also have no issues with HD playback on my 56" big screen. I have an MSI NX8800GT now, but I don't know if that will have the features I need...I am still in the beginning stages of research, so I am sure I will figure it out.

As far as software goes...Bub showed me a pretty sweet, highly supported, open source program called Mediaportal...so far, it looks like I will be going with that. There is alot of support and a big forum set up for it, and it's supposed to be compatible with everything, so we will see.