Wisdom Teeth

samurai nightling

Luckily for me, I never got a dry socket. Plus, I went through my whole recovery process without PEELZ because I would throw up after taking it, so I stopped after the first couple attempts because that's when I figured that's what I was getting sick from. From personal experience when I had mine pulled is to:

-Stick with soft foods like yogurt and applesauce. Avoid anything hard for a while (that's what she said).

-Don't brush your teeth after the first 24 hours. After that, be very gentle around the areas where your wisdom teeth got removed.

-Rinse your mouth out after every meal (gently), and after the first 24 hours, gargle with warm salt water every 2-3 hours (this will help A LOT).

I'm sure they'll tell you this and more after you're done with your fun surgery, but just keep them in mind. I know you don't smoke, so it was obvious not to include that that's not what you're supposed to do either.

Good luck with the whole process/recovery.

My wisdom-removal process was great! I only had minor aches as far as pain goes, and was eating solid foods that night. No infections or negative repercussions or anything. Well, except for a soup stain on one of my shirts because I could feel whether my spoon was in my mouth or not before I upended it...

I suppose I am more wise than you I kept all of mine :)

http://www.aaoms.org/docs/media/third_molars/press_release.pdf

Just sayin.

^ probably written by people that already had their wisdom teeth removed.

Preach, there's always a place for you with us anti-dentites.

Actually, I didn't post that as a joke. There are more overall health issues that are associated with retained wisdom teeth. Laugh about it all you want, but it is better for your overall health to NOT have them, and get them out earlier in life. There is a much more in-depth white paper from over a decade of research that was written detailing all this. Yes, I have read it. I'd link you to it, but you would probably fall asleep by the third paragraph.

Same here, had all 4 removed before I had bracers put on. Was put under GA, so didn't remember a thing. Took painkillers and that helped a lot. In fact, only thing bad about the whole affair was eating, which was a nuisance.

Lousy, at first glance I thought you were describing Fragfest 2010. I don't think anyone removed your wisdom teeth that one night. Did your "dentists" look anything like Nightling or Dragonfire? :biglaugha: Don't be a stranger to Retro either :peace:

Well, had some pain yesterday to where i could barely swallow, even painkillers didn't help it a whole lot. Today i have much less pain, and its getting less and less. One problem, i think the surgeon knicked a nerve, i have lost complete feeling in my left side of my tongue. It's annoying, and i hope just temporary, but the healing could take weeks or more for nerve damage, if ever.

Well, had some pain yesterday to where i could barely swallow, even painkillers didn't help it a whole lot. Today i have much less pain, and its getting less and less. One problem, i think the surgeon knicked a nerve, i have lost complete feeling in my left side of my tongue. It's annoying, and i hope just temporary, but the healing could take weeks or more for nerve damage, if ever.

Crappy, that's the danger they warn you about post-surgery. Some nerve damage is possible and can be permanent. Also death, that kinda freaked me out.

Did you get your teeth back? I asked for mine in a ketamine induced stupor after my surgery and they gave them to me (reluctantly according to my mom). Mine were impacted so I had to be in twilight mode for the operation. Woke up mid surgery with the dental surgeon using my chest for leverage (as apparently I'm a bear when it comes to getting drugged) so they re-dosed me, which took longer than expected to wear off. My mom still tells people about that day she had to carry her 6' 200lbs son back to the car in the middle of an icy winter (she's 5'5" 100lbs) while he was raving like a crazy person.

lol. Yeah all 4 of mine were impacted, so i had to be put out for it. I knew about the possibility of nerve dmg etc, but was really really hoping i wouldnt be one of the lucky ones to get it, looks like i am. I still can't feel my left side of my tongue, and i think ive already bitten it once or twice without really knowing. This sucks.

^ Best mental image ever.

Now just imagine me with a bit of blood trickling down the side of my mouth while holding a small parcel and yelling "I GOT MY TEEF" and slipping all over the place as this tiny lady attempts to prop me up.

When I had mine out (think I was 14?), I took a loooooong pain-killer-induced nap when I got home, woke up at 11:30pm, then ate two grilled cheese sandwiches. My wife had pizza for dinner the night she had hers out. Generally post-op instructions are "eat what you feel comfortable eating". Some people have cheeseburgers the day after surgery, others think they can only handle pudding and applesauce. The only thing you SHOULDN'T do is anything that involves chewing while you are still numb.

lol Well i was able to eat some solid foods by Thursday, i just have to chew them with my front teeth like a chip munk. Tongue still numb on one side, but has a weird sensation/feeling to it so im hopeful that the feeling will come back within a few weeks. Still just a general pain in my face from the healing, but now im just taking Advil or Tylenol instead of the Codine i was prescribed. The Codine was absolutely FANTASTIC, except that it makes me sick and dizzy, especially if i dont eat alot of food with it. In my life, I will say i have never dealt with pain with as many pain killers as i have this though. I usually am one to just tough it out or use the regular dose of pain killers for headaches/pain, but for this i was all for using the Codine and popping like 4 Advil at once now. I can't stand tooth ache pain, i hates it.

So im getting my wisdom teeth removed in about 5 hours, and i still havent gone to bed. All 4 of them too. I took off the entire week from work to recover, bring on the dry socket!!! I'll be getting lots of vicodin...

I wondered where you have been. Hope you are doing well now!