FragFest LOCATION STATUS

Fatty

As I walked through the Sheraton with a nicely dressed sales & catering manager (thinking, glad I wore a sport jacket today) and we talked of the rooms, and she showed me around, I kept thinking of you all. I debated whether or not to say Mmmm to her, but I let that go quickly.

They are willing to negotiate, and she make almost all the decisions, but this 24hour access is a new one (plus my demand that we are able to bring our own food and drink in). Found a nice room, complete with table of our choice, PA system, cd changer, overlooking the water, etc.

I'm not done negotiating the prices yet, but I can tell you now that they are sounding very good. That even includes the rooms, for those of you that were looking to get rooms...they'll be very competetive. Basically she wants our business. (Now, I arrived in a sport jacket and was NOT carrying photos of Bob and Kurtz from last year's party....nor Wilco "sleeping" etc).

The Sheraton is a short drive from Kemp's place, where we could enjoy the outside and socializing.

http://www.sheratonakron.com/

This all rides on the 24hour access, and she promised to get back to me before the weekend. It sounded pretty positive.

I feel, in light of the type of establishment and controlled environment, not to mention the space, there probably won't be an issue with completely opening it up to 18+.

More later.

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

GC Founder

Here's what we'll look like:

meet.jpg

Check this out.

Will this be okay?

"The 20x50 foot pool is 5 feet deep and kept at a constant 82 degrees. The pool area is equipped with a whirlpool and a spacious Scandinavian sauna. Overhanging the pool is the physical fitness center which contains a healthy array of equipment to assist in maintaining a well-toned body."

poola.jpg

Lunk and Magruter on the deck:

decka.jpg

decka.jpg

Does this mean we can bring guests? I was under impression it was stag night. The Sheraton sounds like a great idea, especially with the electrical concerns at your bud's place. Might make it tough for some people to partake in certain recreational outlets of the alternative variety, but all in all this looks like a great idea fat man.

decka.jpg

Does this mean we can bring guests? I was under impression it was stag night. The Sheraton sounds like a great idea, especially with the electrical concerns at your bud's place. Might make it tough for some people to partake in certain recreational outlets of the alternative variety, but all in all this looks like a great idea fat man.

where theres a will theres a way

GC Founder

There's no room for creativity, it's Mag and Lunk having a moment while we were there scoping out the scene today. Sadly they went ahead and checked in and said, "See you in August."

Sounds like a great idea Fatty. The one thing that keeps going through

my mind is all those partys my friends and I had in hotels, always getting

threatened to shut up or we'll get kicked out. The "conference" room would

be great if their are no rooms above it for other guests to complain.

If their is rooms above, they should be reserved for us, cause im sure

everyone wont care if their is noise below when we fall a sleep.....

(or in wilcos case,.... pass out) :lol::P

:ph34r:

Sounds like a great idea Fatty.  The one thing that keeps going through

my mind is all those partys my friends and I had in hotels, always getting

threatened to shut up or we'll get kicked out.  The "conference" room would

be great if their are no rooms above it for other guests to complain.

If their is rooms above, they should be reserved for us, cause im sure

everyone wont care if their is noise below when we fall a sleep.....

(or in wilcos case,.... pass out)    :lol:  :P

:ph34r:

some will get kicked out no matter what.I heard moms fav. game is to call all the other rooms at 3am and ask if their refig is runin

We never had a prob with the 24 hour deal at our other lans, so I'd imagine they would go for it, especially when you say that you guess someone else is gonna be banking our loot then. And heck, even 18 hours would be fine with me, gotta have some fun other than gaming (of the computer kind). And as far as the rooms go, you can get em dirt cheap when you get enough guys to go in on em. Besides showering, we could get some peeps to bring their PS2, Gamebox, and Nin for a little downtime tourneys.And then you have "Club Kemp's" a short hop down the way to hang out at, get a fresh breath of air, and maybe have a sweet barbeque.

Guest Smoke
Guest Smoke
Guest Smoke
Guests

is there any possibility this will get booked up?

GC Founder

What do you mean, the hall or the room?

Here's a location update

-Not done talking with Sheraton.

-Sat for a while with a couple of my fireman captain friends. They suggested a vacan Montgomery Wards building (the cops use it for training, etc). It's perfect. Huge place, working bathrooms. This place is 2 miles from Kemps. About halfway inbetween it and the Sheraton.

-I have many, many feelers out right now. I have to call another potential place early next week.

-I also talked to a buddy of mine on the police force today. I'll probably have my friends on the force work security on the side.

-I also stopped into a Roadrunner Video that has closed down. It's a perfect size. Probably wouldn't do any good to talk to them yet, as the owners of the building will obviously be trying to lease it out immediately.

The more I think about it, the less I want to nail down with the Sheraton. All we need is open space, a roof, and electricity (and bathrooms). Yes, you have the hotel room advantage of actually being in a hotel, but there's still the guys that will be camping that have to commute too. MW is big enough to camp inside it. I mean, it's HUGE, and it's empty.

So, for the way out of towners, fear not. Don't worry about booking a room quite yet. When we figure out where we're playing, we'll find the closest hotel and start reserving rooms. I can tell you this: it will be in Cuyahoga Falls somewhere, so you can plan your drive/flights accordingly.

The neat thing about MW is we might be able to create a huge banner and fly it on the front! I entertained the though of walk-ins for a moment, but dismissed that as right now this is a community thing.

Guest TeKNiK
Guest TeKNiK
Guest TeKNiK
Guests

I personally liked the idea of the hotel room. I was speaking with Smoke and Killer and we were all thinking of just splitting a room. with 3 or 4 of us it would be real cheap for us to. I am driving since there isn't a way for me to bring my computer on the plane along with monitor so I have no place to stay. Just keep the info coming along.

The Montgomery Ward thing sounds promising. It should have the needed electricity drops. Does things like the AC still run (since it is shutdown, I don't know if they would disable such things)? If so, this sounds ideal.

The first real LAN I went to was in the "utility room" of this guys big house. We had 21 computers/25 people in it comfortably and it wasn't really that big a space.

I have been to a couple in a hotel too and while space wasn't a problem and it is nice to have that option to get a room, all we really need is a sleeping bag/blow up mattress and a place to put it.