Tank skipping.

Pumpernickel

We've all seen it. Why is it not punishable? Couldn't it be seen along the same lines as leaving as a dead main then re joining to take over a bot? It seems like a quasi exploit to me. I don't think it should be allowed. Just take your time, listen to your teammates, hit some stuff around if there is any and you'll be okay. I don't understand why it's scary to play tank. Just Do Itâ¢

Strongly discourage tank skipping, especially on finales, because it will skip the event and you unknowingly and unintentionally boost your opponent's score.

If you're not really good at tank, try throwing rocks or hit and run.

• Like 1

Strongly discourage tank skipping, especially on finales, because it will skip the event and you unknowingly and unintentionally boost your opponent's score.

If you're not really good at tank, try throwing rocks or hit and run.

bc we've seen u do a great job at throwing rocks at ppl....... j/k

u're not talkative in game dude.... i was hoping to be like WHAT UP YUORETZ

Skipping a free tank is annoying, half the time it ends up messing up the team, because the new person is caught off guard, has less time to react, and the other team has more time to react to it.   Not sure it should be a rule, but we should encourage people not do it, in my opinion.  Skipping a bought tank however should be allowed, since the person bought it, and can just type !skiptank, not have to go afk to do it.

1 exception - if Yortz is on your team, always encourage him to skip the tank, due to his poor skills.  You are probably better with a bot tank.

• Like 2

you're never going to learn to tank if you never play tank

and then eventually only like 20 people and complete newbies will play the tank and the rest will become bot tanks because everyone else afkskips them

fenix - it should go to someone, tank queue glitches a lot tho

I actually bought a tank last night, and ran out of time before I spawned in as one. Where does the tank go after that? Does someone else get it instead?

You just don't get your Tank. It will stay in the queue and be the last Tank to spawn in after everyone had already spawned theirs in.

Well just my thought of why some people skip....they get yelled at by their team/team mates(as if your not under enough pressure already hehe)...it happens...thats why I used to skip it( I no longer do)  sometimes I do good...sometimes not so much...confidence was a big issue initally pumpernickel. My turning point was when turbo was coaching me to get a forklift in and i did(i caught on fire but i actually got it in) and even though I "failed" he told me nice try at least you got it in! Thats the kind of vibes you need for sure. How many seconds is it before you can spawn your tank or lose it? I forgot. 20 seconds?

• Like 2

I used to do that the first week I've played in this server or so that also happens to be my first versus server I have played on.
What I learned since then is that what makes new players tank skip isn't the lack of confidence, but instead is the players on the same team saying "oh my WHO WAS THAT TANK, WOW..." or something similar making fun or making them know the shortcoming of the player that was tank.

• Like 1

Swat has a point. People won't get better if they don't try to play the tank. I used to be scared but I flopped here and there and even got yelled after I had LONG been established in this community but I'll let that go lol. Since I'm mainly a late night player, my experience might seem vastly different from those who play during primetime. Rarely people ask who the tank was and if they do they don't berate the person. They want to know "Why didn't you do this or didn't you know about that?" If they respond, they instantly get feedback and tips on how to improve and they hopefully take what they were told to heart. Like all classes, it's going to take trial and error.

I skip most of the time because i've gotten yelled at before by teammates, members and non members. I only tank now if i have heal pts.

Just the other day, i played the scripted tank, did not get any kill and died because too many crates+bile+no hittables, someone//unnamedmember// asked why i did not skip it if i did not know how to play.  i did not reply. i'd rather have people yell at me for skipping tank than for hating on me for being a "bad tank" and having bad "skills." If skipping tank is considered punishable, then please also do the same to those that "hate" for "skill."

People shouldn't be yelling at people because of skill in the first place.  That's why we don't votekick people for skill.

tank queue glitches a lot tho

No it doesn't.  Shaddup.  A lot of people still don't really understand how it works.

People shouldn't be yelling at people because of skill in the first place.  That's why we don't votekick people for skill.

tank queue glitches a lot tho

No it doesn't.  Shaddup.  A lot of people still don't really understand how it works.

shouldnt, but it happens. 

We should be talking to these people then.  I understand people have frustrations when people fail tank, but it doesn't mean people have to be a dick about it.  I've had my fair share of fail tanks.  Tanks are very situational, just like other SI and they have to rely on them so much which is why I like that Reghost on Tank Spawn upgrade. 

You all keep saying " People won't get better if they don't try to play the tank." but that's not true. You can learn a LOT from watching other people play a tank well.  I skipped my tanks for the first few weeks I played until I'd watched enough pro players to learn where all the good choke points are, which cars can be knocked over walls and stuff.  Even things like crouching while hitting cars is something you won't learn without watching other players.

I find this topic a bit funny, bc I cAnt tell you how many games I've been in when someone or multiple people say "if you don't know how to tank just afk".

My personal feelings if you want to play it play it, if you don't then don't. The only tank I think we are talking about is the scripted bc Jackie actually put in !tankskip or something like that on the bought one. Either way let people choose and don't berate them for what they choose either way.

• Like 3

I think this topic is silly because this is just a game.... not even a game that will win you a cup or trophy. The fact that people take it so seriously makes me laugh. If someone gets a tank and fails, the world doesn't end. Also if someone gets a tank and doesn't feel comfortable playing it they can pass it off as well, because they are here just like the rest of us to have fun. They paid for their copy of the game so they can play it as they choose as long as falls within GC's rules. I understand the frustration that can happen when someone afk's a tank to pass it and then it goes to a bot but oh well... still just a game.

• Like 2

^ I will fall on that grenade

I'm the butthole who berates people who mindlessly charges in as a tank in front of 10 survivors...and proceed to throw rock in 5 feet distance of a survivor. Ya know...after the whole team layout the ground plan for the tank.

Well we also don't allow people to !afk for the purpose of changing up mains, or getting a bot when they die, or changing teams.   So I don't think the topic is silly, but I also don't think it should be against the rules to afk your tank.  I just think it does usually hurt the team and people would get better by playing them, so we should just encourage them to try to play it.

The posts about people yelling at people about bad tanks are correct.  And I can certainly see this as the main reason people skip their tanks.   When you are not real confident in playing it, and have everyone on the server either relying on how you do it, or the other team all trying to kill you, it puts some pressure on you.   If you do not do well, and then your team complains, laughs, or yells, that makes it worse.  It is disappointing to hear it.  I usually try to coach the tank, I tell my team what to do (boom boom boom) and no matter the result tell the person with the tank they were fine.  Remember, if the game or people or team really frustrate you, instead of saying something mean, just leave the server and come back later.

Also, to learn how to play a good tank, watch good players and what they do with them on each map.   That's what I did. 

Occasionally (obviously this is extremely rare now, because of how great I am at this game), I will have a bad tank, and then I will get a message from Swat telling me I bought it too early or something.  Can I ban him for telling me how to play, even though he is right?

• Like 1

You all keep saying " People won't get better if they don't try to play the tank." but that's not true. You can learn a LOT from watching other people play a tank well.  I skipped my tanks for the first few weeks I played until I'd watched enough pro players to learn where all the good choke points are, which cars can be knocked over walls and stuff.  Even things like crouching while hitting cars is something you won't learn without watching other players.

a lot of ppl who skip have played on the server for months now. also if they ask for help someone is very likely to help cuz you want your tanks to do well

well .. in my opinion if you play like a Tank you keep in mind two things:

1. YOU CAN´T BE BURN

2. YOU´RE THE TANK! oh my KILL THE SURVIVORS!

& hell yeah, be the tank is a great responsibility

Playing like survivor:

(what I'm doing) .. It´s, just... jump everytime to move it so fast, because the punch of the tank could be very dangerous, take your molly your shotgun & try to survive (:

Edited by GreenHeart

You all keep saying " People won't get better if they don't try to play the tank." but that's not true. You can learn a LOT from watching other people play a tank well. I skipped my tanks for the first few weeks I played until I'd

watched enough pro players to learn where all the good choke points are, which cars can be knocked over walls and stuff. Even things like crouching while hitting cars is something you won't learn without watching other players.

a lot of ppl who skip have played on the server for months now. also if they ask for help someone is very likely to help cuz you want your tanks to do well

That is true. by now they could have been more confident in their tank skill. The yelling and all of that isn't as bad as it used to be. I never see it since the atmosphere is a bit more relaxed. A lot of non members play during this time so that's the perfect time to mold the newer people.