ban length

Cujo

i just got banned for "avoiding the swear filter". i typed wt and then f from force of habit and it was promptly banned. not only was it a typo and not an avoidance but how is wth a swear word. i could be saying any number of things that have three words starting with those same letters such as "who's this fairy?" or "what the fudge?".

anyway, i'm wondering how long the ban lasts? this server is the only one i play on and i'm there a lot. i don't understand why i couldn't just have got a warning. i know i swear sometimes but that's what the filter is for. i simply miss spelled an abreviation and i'm banned? that's a little rediculous i think.

I banned you for 60 minutes. Ride it out, I have warned you before, and this was about the 3rd time I have seen you bypass the filter. Therefore you get a 60 minute ban, which is about half over right now.

Gunny

alright whatever. i'm not intentionally bypassing it is all i'm saying. i curious though. how would a child, who's never heard a swear word, figure out what wth typically means. i understand not being able to type actual words but that's a little stretched i would say. i mean similarly were we not able to say laugh out loud you'd ban me for saying lol.

anyway, sorry bout swearing but it's force of habit and i often times miss the last letter and then throw it in without thinking. don't ban me for intentionally bypassing maybe just warn me not to do it.

other than that, it's an awesome server. my buddy reaper works for gd and they're awesome.

the thing is...that if Mmmm says don't say the word "conflagration" well, you'd better remove it from your vocabulary son...it be their server.

:)

as for saying wth, it implies other things...and what if some 8 year old is playing, sees that...wonders what it is, then goes out and finds out...is it your fault he went and found out? no, but you introduced it to him.

To be perfectly honest, we didnt remove golly gee! and wth for 8 year old kids but rather for 30 year old daddies.

We dont like to see it BECAUSE we know what it means.

<tried desperatly and, for a change, succesfully to refrain from smackin this dude down for his "warning" mantra>

the thing is...that if Mmmm says don't say the word "conflagration" well, you'd better remove it from your vocabulary son...it be their server.

:)

what's that mean? yes i'm to lazy to go look it up

yeah i've had trouble with that filter. The best way i find is that when i'm angry and i'm about to write something i pull my hands away from the keyboard and then i calm down and write my anger nicely :) without swearing.

Also, IMO, the intent of the swear filter is not only to prevent certain words from being displayed in the chat line but it also helps to foster an attitude here. By preventing people from cursing or typing bad things, what is left to type? Why, how about stuff like "wow, I got pwned...great shot" or some other complimentary phrase. I have played enough competitive activities to know that trash talk is honestly a valid part of some of them but, again IMO, in an online game, where you can't really go face-to-face, it is too difficult to not be able to read your opponent. Best to kill them with kindness.

Guest Inferno
Guest Inferno
Guest Inferno
Guests
as for saying wth, it implies other things...and what if some 8 year old is playing, sees that...wonders what it is, then goes out and finds out...is it your fault he went and found out?  no, but you introduced it to him.

Not wanting to bash playa or anyone with his view or anything of the sort....but when the parent says S@!# or w7f wouldnt the 8 year old pick up on it...learn its bad and swear? I ride the bus home and we stop at the lilttle kids school to pick up the kids, well when we do this, they are waiting outside. We pull up and all you hear these little kids yelling is stuff that i didnt learn till 6th grade...so i dunno...swearing at that age is wrong...but somewhere along the line they learn it.

I think dweez is hitting it on the head. It's whining 99.99999% of the time. Sorta like "there's no way he coulda killed me" or "why's he soo stupid". The server's there for fun, friendly competition. If you can't tell someone nice shot or good game, just keep quiet. Bad attitudes aren't fun to be around; neither are bad sports. On this one, the fact that it is a swear is almost beside the point in my view.

As for swearing in general, it's a slippery slope in a game like this. Seems if you let any, then the flood gates open and it's outta hand. So the rule is none, and 90% of those playing on the server never have a problem. The other 10% still take the effort to type or say the curse, and "can't" control themselves. This 10% gets to live with the consequences, which generally are not that harsh in the first place.

So play on; curse at your screen if you want; just don't force it on the other players by putting it in the game.

i agree. i'd rather not see swearing and it's just force of habit that i say it. usually i'm just mad at myself for missing or if it was a fluke de hs that killed me.

only reason i posted on here was because i felt i was banned a little hastily. plus i wanted to know when i could get back on.

lol phyzer thinks i cheat. you coulda at least put a smiley beside that. i'm assuming you were joking...

Guest Inferno
Guest Inferno
Guest Inferno
Guests

Better get that whipping stick out...cause it just doesnt stick in my head...at all :(:nono::bang:o0o

I don't understand why people take the time to type out their swearing or even go for the voice comm button to swear... just yell it at your monitor! Heck, I can be one of the nicest guys in game, but my dog will tell you differently. She runs away when I start playing sometimes. :D Congrats to Mmmm on cracking down on whiners and misfits! :peace:

The best way i find is that when i'm angry and i'm about to write something i pull my hands away from the keyboard and then i calm down and write my anger nicely :) without swearing.

I punch stuff...thus the reason the right side of my right fist is broked. :D

What i dont understand, is why all these people who come to the server try and convince us otherwise? As an Admin on DOH i get it like 2 or 3 times a day. Face it guys you arnt going to change our views. All your arguments are the same "If your old enough to paly this you can take it", "Shouldnt be here if your young, "Its stupid no one cares"

Server rules, obey them