Xbox

lance

Now, I know alot of people think that due to the lack of good software for the Xbox, the system is a waste. And certain things like the control over xbox Live, the fact to play DVD's you have to buy a $30 attachment, among others makes it seem Microsoft is just bleeding us for some cash. But you have to look a bit more closely at this system. It by far has the most capable graphix processing equipment as it has the most powerful processor/video system. Plus, you have to look to the future of the software. We already know the pride of Xbox has always been and still is Halo. It's really the only Xbox exclusive title to sell any real numbers as opposed to already built franchises such as the Zelda series, or what PS2's flagship series of Final Fantasy is. But look to the future of this console's software: Fable, a most unique RPG experience that promises to give us all an rpg with HUGE replay value, as the adventure is different every time. It has huge potential as you are in complete control and development of your character's every aspect. From physical stats to physical appearance, every step you make and action you take affects the development of your character. Halo 2, if you don't know what Halo is yet, then you've been in a cave for the past two and a half years. The sequel to what some would say is the best console fps ever made looks great, and at E3 2003 a stunning trailer with actual gameplay from the demo'd game was shown to huge applause and critical delight. Also, with CounterStrike coming to Xbox Live, running off of the Halo engine, we should see some increase in the interest the public has in Xbox Live's potential. Sure, CS for Xbox is horrible for those of us used to a mouse and keyboard, but as a friend of mine said "You guys are used to something different, this is something new for the rest of us, and we like it."

So, in closing I will say to not count the Xbox out yet. Sure, it came out with a huge pricetag and crappy laungh software, but the potential is there for it to be a huge system, and the Xbox exclusive games that are soon to be released will have you wishing you kept your big heavy green-dot machine.

Links to trailers of above-mentioned games:

Fable Trailer

CounterStrike for Xbox

Halo 2 Trailer

Making of Halo 2 trailer

Edited by lance

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I say huge hype. I hate halo. I hate it with a passion. I have played through it twice and both times found myself asking why I was playing it. The game is boring and does not stack up to other masterpiece FPS games such as Half-Life, Deus Ex, Goldeneye, Perfect Dark, and plenty of other FPS games that are just better than Halo. I own no game for XBox that I consider a good game. Perhaps there are a couple but I dont know I only own 5 I think. Also to say that it is hands down the best graphically and most powerful is untrue. The Gamecube can do just about everything the XBox can do. Both have next generation video processors that support pixel and vertex shaders which is what the majority of new cool looking graphics are based on. The 400 MHZ Power PC processor inside the gamecube is every bit as powerful as the 733MHZ Intel inside the XBox and the Nvidia graphics card inside the xbox is only slightly better than the ATI card inside the cube. The only real place the XBox comes ahead in is that it supports true Dolby Digital sound whereas the Gamecube has to emulate it using Pro Logic II. I own far more games for PS2 and Gamecube and I have far more fun with them. Halo is imo the most overrated piece of crap ever produced(notice not the biggest piece of crap just the most overrated one).

Well, that is one opinion in a sea of "I say"s :D

Now, I'm not saying Xbox can stand up to PS2 or Gamecube right now, I'm only saying that Xbox shouldn't be counted out of the console wars. Other good games for Xbox are Star Wars:Knights of the Old Republic, and Star Wars: Jedi Academy. And I have noticed that the Gamecube can put out some great graphics, but in my opinion the overall detail and look of Xbox Graphics is plainly superior. One game that shows this is Soul Caliber 2. I have played it on each system, and the look and surreality of the Xbox version is absolutely amazing compared to the other two. I say give the ol' Microsoft Anvil a chance, because I'm sure we'll be seeing great things from it in 2004.

I think that the XBox is becomming more and more my favorite system. I own NONE of the 3 main consoles but frequently play them all at friends houses...the ps2 does have a big game selection...but it is also older technology and FEELS like it as well. The gamecube has a great selection of fun games (from what I've heard) but something about the games I HAVE played on it make me look down at it...so far every time I hear about a great gamecube game then play it...it's just not fun. (I haven't played games like Mario Kart, Zelda, or Metroid Prime)

now the Xbox...I'm sorry but the biggest selling point for me is the 10gig hard drive...hands down. Plus games like Halo (which I just spent 6 hours playing with my brother-in-law on new years and it was a BLAST) or Splinter-Cell...plus the XBox controllers...I LOVE them....

so to me the XBox isn't all about hype and it's the best of the 3.

• 3 weeks later...

Xbox is better than the Gamecube when it comes to hardware because Microsoft wasnt too scared to take its audiences online in full force. Xbox has the best online community of any console and more power than the Gamecube and PS2. Xboxs can be heavly modded out, complete with 120GB harddrives, 1.4 Ghz processors, More ram, and Linux distros that allow you to have the cheapest computer sitting next to your TV possible. The Games are just as good as PS2 games in every category cept for RPG. To me the best RPGs only happen on a computer any way, and are of the MMORPG type. The controller for the XBox is the best controller ive ever held. I like it better than the tiny PS2 controller and i cant really compare it to Gamecubes cause I never play Gamecube. Microsoft may make you pay 30 bucks for a DVD remote, but they give you better sound and pretty soon Xbox will be able to play a bunch of multimedia file types that you share over your home network. I like the Xbox when it comes to sports and racing games. FPSers are hard to get used to on a console now after 7 years of FPSers on the Pc, But i can still get into some Xbox live of Unreal Championship and Mech Assault on Xbox.

If you like multiplayer over the net Xbox cant be beat. If you want the best graphics on a console go Xbox. If you dont wanna be confined to a kids company go Xbox. If you have a Cable internet connection and dont get a Xbox your silly. Best of all all the good games for PS2 come to Xbox a few months later with better content in the from of graphics and online play that doesnt involve an analog modem that would make it impossible to have fun on a console.

• 3 weeks later...

i love xbox....i bought ps2 and barely ever play it....ive played xbox more than ive played ps2 and i dont even on ps2

xbox is comeing about with alot of sick games and nothing is more fun than 8+ player halo when your chillin wit a bunch of friends

• 1 month later...
(edited)

an xbox is a computer.

Its a pentium 3 700Mhz

with a geforce3 video card

?and 64 megs of ram? not sure

anyway if you have computer knowledge you can do what you like with your xbox...I bought a 30 dollar chip that will bypass the machines bios and it can now do anything a computer can. I put a 80 gig HD in mine as well. To bad i have to plug it into my TV and watch it on a horrible 320x240 resilution.

Edited by NOFX

NOFX, I think I've talked to you about this before, but what chip did you get? Did you have to solder it? If so, was it hard to solder the d0 point on the mobo? If you got a pogo-pin install does it shift around much and stop working?

All I can say about XBox is "Fusion Frenzy". Makes the system worth it right there. I also have a GameCube and think the game selection for it is better considering my console gaming is spent with my 5 year old daughter. Just seems to be more young person games for it. I do like having the HD in XBox. Saves are faster and being able to have your own songs for some of the games is very cool.

And all I've got to say about the Xbox is its about time the "wait and see" people get with the program. I've been hearing "wait and see" they will release awesome games since the Xbox was released and they never have. Look at Fable, was supposed to come out the spring after the XBox was released. Two years later and no game. Puh-lease.

The other thing all your hardware talkin peeps must recollect is that the XBox was the last system shipped of the 3 present ones. In fact IIRC THe PS2 hit the market 2 years before the Xbox. If you apply Moore's Law, the Xbox should be well over double the processing power of the PS2. Of course the graphics will be better than the other two, but fortunately graphics aren't the only important features of a system. That's why PS2 will continue to be reigning king until the PS3 gets released sometime on '05 (IIRC).

Btw, on a side note, there is a very specific reason that a lot of the great software vendors WONT deal with MS on the Xbox, figured it was worth mentioning.

1. MS has a bad habbit of working a "deal" with a company, then stealing its technology and cutting out of the deal. Then they sink the other company.

2. MS's other bad habbit is eating other companies that they work with.

3. MS has a3rd bad habbit of renegotiating deals with vendors midway through the process and making them worse for their "partner".

I could go on (but its 7AM), but my point by listing these things is that a large number of the small(er) video game vendors won't deal with MS because of its track record of screwing their "partners". That's why you will never see a Final Fantasy on Xbox.

Peace yall.

Edited by White Knight

I was strickly a PC gamer till this summer, and now I wouldn't trade my xbox for anything. I'm a huge sports game player, and xbox sports games are unmatched by anyone. The espn line and XSN titles are amazing..

Only reason I'd ever get an Xbox is it's easy mod-ability, and the fact that Jade Empire is strictly Xbox only. I just pray that they rethink that idea and do something similar to what they did for KOTOR... Because this game looks so good I'd consider buying an Xbox to play it.

• 3 weeks later...

Xbox rox! I only play my PS2 for Final Fantasy. Halo and other such games keep my and my friends up well past the time I should be sleeping. PS2 is still staying strong despite the lower quality, but I think XBOX will be the one to win out in the end if they keep improving and tapping the power of X. Now about really using the hardrive for games and making them load much quicker and stuff...needs to be done more often.

Plus, the other two systems can't be used to put people into a coma as easily. Throw your XBOX at someone and they'll forget their name. LOL

• 4 weeks later...

My wife wants a console (how cool is that!?) and I am now shopping around.

I am actually debating between the XBox and Cube (odd I know).

Here are the factors:

It really is for my wife...not me.

She likes racing games.

She loves cartooney gamey type games (think mario).

My buddy has haxed his XBox to hell and back...I am wondering what kinds of capabilities he has with his? Is is possible for him to play old Nintendo 64 games and PSII games on his XBox after h4xing or can he just play XBox games on it?

The cube is cheaper, but I might get a friend to give me some of his XBox games if I go with the XBox.

Does the XBox offer any fun cartoonlike games that Christi would like?

(edited)
My buddy has haxed his XBox to hell and back...I am wondering what kinds of capabilities he has with his? Is is possible for him to play old Nintendo 64 games and PSII games on his XBox after h4xing or can he just play XBox games on it?

I've successfully been able to play any SNES, NES, and GBA game on my XBox. N64 roms *supposedly* work, but only some games are supported (and this is on an emulator-by-emulator basis). There are lots of XBox emulators available that I haven't even tried (don't care to) from Neo-Geo to MAME. I've never heard of playing PS2 or GameCube games on an XBox though, but who knows... maybe I'm wrong.

As for more capabilities, you can...

- Back up your XBox games and run them off the hard drive. This is a nice feature as it decreases load time, and prevents wear on your discs.

- Play DVD movies (any region) without buying the remote/dongle for $30

- Add a larger hard drive (mine's 120 GB, as opposed to the default ~10 GB)

- Play "homebrew" games coded by third parties

- Have a different OS than the standard MS dashboard, which is skinnable. (The most popular is Evolution X, but there are others.)

- Play virtually any media type with XBox media player (avi, mpg, mp3, etc... which means you can store backed up DVD rips on the hard drive) Just think, you'd never have to worry about finding the DVD or getting it scratched/lost.

The XBox is accessible via FTP with a crossover cat5 cable or a few patch cables and a hub.

You can also use your XBox to run Linux, but I don't know much about that. [info here]

If you want any more info about modding I am happy to be of service with what knowledge I have.

FYI: Keep in mind that you cannot play XBox Live games when your mod chip is enabled. (Assuming you would hard mod it. There is a way to do it with a bug in MechAssault or a James Bond game, but I've never tried it.)

Edited by Hitman

Hitman listed the best points. Xbox is the only one that can be easily modded. You can use the box as a TIVO-type unit, DVD Player, etc... You can use the Hard drive it came with or add a new one for cheap and then stock it with movies and games and never have to carry all those cases to friends houses.

Was reading about it the other day but I have Replay and am happy with that so did not go in-depth.

I primarily use mine for DVD and Game storage. Of course I have not yet played online, but I should be able to with my Chameleon chip but I have not researched it too much yet.