Calling all mixologists

Crowbar

My wife and I are close to getting a house, and we plan to put it to good use by entertaining often. I've recently turned 21, so I can buy alcohol now. Well a couple nights ago, my wife and I were together with three other couples, and we decided to get some drinks to liven up the evening. The guys are all 21 or older and the girls are not, so us guys piled in a friend's mini-van and headed to the grocery store. The night was fun, but really kind of pathetic. We ended up with a 4-pack of Guiness, a 6-pack of Budweiser, 6-pack of Michelob Ultra, a 6-pack of Mike's Hard Lemonade, 2 large bottles of Bacardi silver and a large bottle of Triple Black. Oh, and 4 of those wussy Seagrams wine coolers.

I drank about a quarter bottle of Triple Black, and a can of Guiness, over about 3 hours. Only two of the guys got a buzz, no one got drunk. There was a lot of left over alcohol.

So, I come to my point.

I've always loved the image of the Frank Sinatra type guy, sharp suite, martini in hand, lady on each arm. The cat who's always at the center of social circles. A smooth talker, good dancer, and he always knows exactly what he likes to drink and how he likes it made. Perhaps a better example for the younger generation is James Bond. "Vodka martini, shaken, not stirred."

So I have set out to become a good entertainer. I had a $15 gift card to a local half-price book store that I used to pick up two drink books. One is the "Absolute Beginners Guide to Drink Mixing" and the other is "Esquire" something or other about drinks. I have been reading through the Absolute Beginners Guide and am loving it. It introduces would be mixologists to the world of adult entertaining. The author's dream is exactly what mine is, and she aims to help the reader realize at least the part about being a good host.

So I'm wondering, is there anybody out there who considers themselves an expert on adult beverages? Can anyone give me some pointers, stories, or perhaps some recipies from their own lives? Or, if you want to know a bit about this dying art, go ahead and ask.

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My favorite drink is a single-malt scotch, never less than twelve years old. Oh, and NEVER over ice. Not a single malt. So, unfortunatley, I guess I'm not much help <_<

However, there's a couple of hints I CAN give off the top of my head...

1) Punches are always good. And they're easy to make...Get a couple of cheap liquors, pour them in a bowl and add fruit juice to taste.

2) Never mix drinks too strong. You're not doing your friends a favor because they can easily come back and get more alcohol on a second go-round, and if you keep mixing heavy when you clean up tomorrow you're going to find a lot of half-full drinks you'll pour down the drain. That can add up to a LOT of wasted alcohol if you mix drinks strongly. This isn't to say you shouldnt' follow the recipe of course...If it's supposed to be a strong drink, make it that way. Just don't give someone a glass of vodka and call it a screwdriver.

3) I know it's not as classy, but if there will be many people, a keg provides hours of entertainment. From "how will we get the money" to "how will we get it up there" and "do you think we'll lose our deposit if we do THAT??", loads of fun for everyone. And if you don't kill it, it can be a living room centerpiece until it's empty.

That's all I can think of without being a wiseguy for right now...I know there's more. Have my years of experience faded already?

:(

Oh, yeah, and I wouldn't feel right without saying "drink responsibly". Even if that means your living room looks like Jonestown the morning after, don't let anyone drive home if they've had "a few" without at least inviting them to crash on your couch. Overbook the couch if need be, when people pass out they don't notice the difference. They're all adults, but if possible, two of the things that SHOULDN'T be mixed are drinking and driving. Bad news, that.

*gets off soapbox*

That said, go have fun. And if you get any scotch, drink one to me. :P

Edited by appalachian_fox

Gin and Tonic on the rocks with an extra twist of lime.

I know in college, the "Bartender's Bible" always got us through. More drinks in there than you can shake three or four sticks at. If you know how to measure, and have the proper glasses, you can drink for hours on end and not have the same thing twice.

As far as entertaining goes....My wife and her friends LOVE to have Margarita parties. Everyone brings stuff to make their fav rita and they all try the different flavors.

uuumm...I once invented a drink...it was called a "Let it Snow"...

you take 1 can of Dynomite (energy drink), one can of Mountain Dew and half a can of another energy drink called "Battery" (looks like a large can-sized battery)....mix together and you get a massive head of white foam (i.e. "Let it Snow") and drink

of course it's non-alchoholic but man, one cup of "Let it Snow" and BLAM! you can party til 8 a.m. EASY....we used to do that...have a weekend party and pass out "Let it Snow"'s and party til the sun came up...excellent thing for New Years Eve parties and 4 a.m. snowy football games in your shorts.

Whiskey Sour - 1 shot whiskey , 1 1/2 shot Sweet/Sour (my fav drink!)

White Russian - 1 shot vodka(please not mccormiks, only the good stuff will do), 1 shot Kahlua, 1 shot milk (very smooth, very easy to down, especcialy with an orange vodka)

Black russian(same as white, without milk)

Suicide(my personal invention, dont try this at home kids!) 1 shot vodka, 1 shot tequila, 1 shot whiskey, 2 shots apple juice, 1/2 shot tonic (you can switch any and all of the shots with anything thatll make it worse, its called Suicide, but you'll do this for about 20 minutes :twitch::twitch::twitch:

Ugh, Captain Morgan's. I like me a "Three Wise Men" now and then, one shot Jack, one shot Jim, and one shot Jose. Oh, a Chocolate Cake shot is tasty too. Don't know what is in it but it has a sugar rim on the shot glass and you take it with a lemon wedge. Tastes just like chocolate cake.

Oooh...Irish Car Bombs!

Fill a pint glass roughly 2/3 full of Guiness. Take a double-shot glass and pour in one shot Bailey's Irish Creme and one shot Jameson Irish Whiskey (any Irish Whiskey will do, it can be left out / substituted with more Bailey's). Drop the shotglass into the pint glass and chug. It tastes fine with just Bailey's and Guiness (indeed, many bars around here serve it that way), so if you don't drink much Irish Whiskey it's a way to save some green.

Oh, and a great way to liven up your coffee -- add some Bailey's. Tastes great.

My wife and I are close to getting a house, and we plan to put it to good use by entertaining often. I've recently turned 21, so I can buy alcohol now.

wow, ill be 23 in november, I dont have anythign that resembles a house or a wife. I do have an apartment with 2 other guys LOL

I also like me some Beam

Thats what im talkin about Dweez.

Jaegermister is my favorite shot

word

All I buy at the liquor store is Beam and some Jaegermister.

I dont really have a favorite, but Im always drinking Jim Beam and Coke.

Heres what happend last weekend when we drank beam

busted.JPG

You can't beat a good black & tan type drink. I make one with Victory Storm King Stout and Victory Hop Devil IPA. Here's a recipe for an interesting drink called a colonial flip:

Back in Colonial days tavern keepers would concoct all sorts of mixes, some were ghastly. One of the more revered ones was the Flip, a favourite of New Englanders back in the 1700's.

Ingredients:

An Imperial Pint (20 oz) of strong beer (a barleywine would be nice, but anything 8% alcohol by volume or higher will do)

2 tablespoons of sugar, unrefined

1 tablespoon of molasses

2 tablespoons of dried pumpkin, finely ground

1 measure of New England rum

Direction & Notes:

Get yourself a metal or earthen mug (32oz or larger to allow for overflow from heating) and pour the strong beer into it. Mix in the sugar, molasses and dried pumpkin, blend well.

You'll need a fireplace or wood burning stove for this next part ... heat up a loggerhead (an iron poker will do) and stick the red hot end into the liquid for a brief moment. Add the rum and enjoy!

I happen to be a bartender (for about 9 years)

Here's some of our current popular drinks/shots

Cherry Bomb - Three Olive's Cherry, Red Bull, Grenedine

Sweet tart - Three Olives Cherry, Cranberry, 7-Up

Purple Hooter - Chambord, Stoli, Cran, Rose's Lime Juice

Sexy Aligator (layered) - Shake Midori & Splash of Sour, Pour, Slowly add Chambord (Will sink to the bottom), Slowly Add Jager (Will float)

Wet Pu&^y (Yes, thats what it's called) - Black Haus, Watermelon Pucker, Pineapple Juice

Washington Apple - Crown Royal, Cranberry, Apple Pucker

Red Headed Slut - Jager, Cran, Peach Schnapps

Those are shots, here's some drinks

Chocolate Martini - White & Dark Godiva, Kahlua, Baileys, Three Olives Chocolate (Or Vanilla), Cream, Shake Well

Apple Martini - Apple Pucker, Grey Goose, Midori

Old Fashioned - Muddle a Cherry & Orange (MASH) with a splash of Water and sugar, add ice, Best Bourbon you can get (Maker's Mark, Gent Jack), Splash of Sweet Vermouth

Lake Erie HighBall - Add Ice, Water

Capperania - Cut up about 1/2 Lime, muddle or squeez the juice out (into the glass), add a little water and sugar (SHAKE WELL) add ice and Bacardi

Mohito - Cut up some fresh mint leaves, add sugar & splash of water (SHAKE WELL) add Bacardi (Rum) or Grey Goose (Vodka) and Juice of Half a lime add ice (SHAKE AGAIN)

Thats all I can think of now...time to go to work...

Oh, a Chocolate Cake shot is tasty too.  Don't know what is in it but it has a sugar rim on the shot glass and you take it with a lemon wedge.  Tastes just like chocolate cake.

Chocolate Cake - Frangelico and Stoli Vanilla (Shake) Have a sugar coated lemon handy - Drink, Eat Lemon

Since I'm a lazy bartender, I dont rim glasses, I'm too busy to be rimming glasses (Unless you're a big tipper ;))...

Some good vodka and Orange Juice is always good.

One of the best out there from what I hear is Orange Soda with McGullicutty's Vanilla Schnapps. Tastes like an orange creamsicle. :)

Gunny :peace:

Orange Creamsickle - Grey Goose Orange, Orange Juice, Splash of Light Creme de Cacaco, Cream (Shake)

Raspberry Creamsickle - Stoli Raszberi, Chambord, Cranberry, Splash of Light Creme de Cacao, Cream (SHAKE)

Light Creme de Cacao gives it that Creamsickle taste

Try to only use the best liquors, they taste better and the hangovers arent as bad

Best Vodkas (In no order)

Grey Goose

Belvedere

Chopin

Thor's Hammer

Three Olives

2nd Best

Absolut

Stoli

Skyy

Best Rums:

Bacardi

Malibu

Capt Morgan

Makers Mark

Best Gins

Bombay Sapphire

Tanqueray 10

Red, I'm looking for the classy drinks. Give me some of the popular "old fashioned" (yes, I know there is a drink by that name) drinks. I don't want the kind of drinks where you say "Hey! I can hardly taste the alcohol!" you know, the kind 18 yr old girls like.

Vodka and gin for MArtinis.. Gin tastes like pine sap so i prefer Vodka.. Look up "high ball"..

Heres a couple.. Mixed drinks

Tons of drinks..

Gotta watch out for the pop-ups tho.. Should give you some ideas.. I'd say the basics are a good Gin, Vodka, tequila. Vermouth, Frangelico, Kahlua, Jim Beam, Jack Daniels, Segrams Seven.. My dad loves Rock and Rye..

You can always go for the classic's

Manhattan - Knob Creek (Or any Good Bourbon) & 1/2 oz. Sweet Vermouth. (SHAKE WELL) Serve in a Martini Glass garnish with a cherry.

Old Fashioned - Muddle Cherry & Orange with a little sugar and splash of water. Add Ice & Gentleman Jeck (Whiskey of your choice) Splash of Bitters

Gimlet - Grey Goose & Roses Lime

Martini - Fill shaker with Ice, pour Dry Vermouth in. Stir to coat the ice. Strain (Keep the ice) Add 2 oz. of Grey Goose (Vodka or Gin of your choice) You can either Stir or Shake (I prefer to shake), Strain into a Marini Glass. Garnish with TWO olives. The reason to use only 2 olives, is that with more than that they all arent immersed in the cocktail.

Dirty Martini - 1 1/2 oz Three Olives (Or vodka of choice) 1 oz Olive Juice. SHAKE WELL. Garnish with 2 Olives.

Gibson - Martini with a Cocktail Onion instead of Olive

Mamosa - 1oz of Orange Juice, Champagne

Belini - 1 oz Chambord, Champage

Wine Sprizter - 1/2 glass White Zin (or Chardonnay) 1/2 glass of Club Soda or 7-Up

Rusty Nail - 1 1/2 oz Dewars (Or Scotch of choice) 3/4 oz Drambuie

Tom Collins - 1 1/2 oz Bombay Sapphire (Or your choice of Gin) fill the rest with Soda and a splash of Sour

Sidecar - 2 oz Remy Martin VSOP (Any Cognac) 1/2 oz Cointreau splash of Roses Lime

Rob Roy - 1 1/2 oz Dewars (Scotch) 3/4 oz Sweet Vermouth, splash of bitters

Godfather - Dewars, Ammaretto DiSarrona

Godmother - Grey Goose, Ammaretto DiSarrona

• 1 month later...
(edited)
Martini's are made with gin, NOT vodka.

btw, my favorite so far is the Cuba Libre

The original Martini was made with Gin, but due to its crappy taste, people started to use Vodka inthe 30's after prohibiton, which is alot more common these days than gin.

As for a Cuba Libre...its Rum & Coke with a lime.

Which was invented when US soliders in the Spanish American war were given the brand new Coke-a-Cola and mixed it with rum, then toasting the freedom of Cuba.

actually martini's can be made with both. One way isnt more right then the other.. ever heard of a vodka martini ? 

1 1/2 oz Vodka

3/4 oz Dry Vermouth

1 Olive

The James Bond martini if you will.

Actually ;)

1 1/2 oz Smirnoff Vodka

3/4 oz Dry Vermouth

1 Olive

Shaken, not stirred.

Bond prefers Smirnoff.

Edited by redeyez