Please Help NCC choose his next car

ncc

ncc

Hi guys, I'm looking at both of these cars, and I am asking for your input on this. I'm linking you here to my g/f's livejournal site, so you do have to be a member of livejournal to vote.

http://www.livejournal.com/users/ramendoodles/52315.html

If you do vote, please consider the specs of both cars:

1999 Pontiac Grand Am GT

49,000 Miles

3.4L V6

AM/FM/CD/Cassette

Power Locks (Keyless Entry)

Power Windows

Driver Airbag

Electric Sunroof

2001 Saturn L200

22,000 Miles

2.2L V4

AM/FM/CD

Power Locks

Power Windows

Dual Airbag

I appreciate your input, THANKS! :-)

Edited by ncc

I'd git the pontiac if i was j00

lots of em on the road, so if anything goes wrong with it, parts should be cheap

and the V6 prob gets better gas mileage than an underpower'd 4 cyl

as long as they had proof of oil changes and service'n the car, i'd take her

:)

actually, I can speak from experience here. My car HAS that 3.4L V6 engine (the same series, mines just 4 years older)...the engine CAN be exceptionally strong and is definatly a fast engine (225hp), but it NEEEEEEEDS maintenance. The engine is known for oil leaks, Timing Belt problems and a few other minor things. I was lucky enough to get my car after the engine had been taken apart and had the oil leaks fixed (though it's begun leaking again) and then rebuilt. However, it's been recommended to me by other owners of cars with this engine to have the timing belt CHECKED every 15 to 30,000 miles. That's just to have it checked then, it might not need replacement, but most likely will. I just had mine replaced by a friend who is an Oldsmobile mechanic (who happens to be on strike) and it took him 1 full day worth of work and cost me $350. Now remember, that's without a $50 to $60/hour labor fee.

Don't get me wrong...I LOVE my car, it's quick, it's agile (for something so big), plus I have white leather :P

Anyway, basically I'm saying...if you have mechanical skills...go ahead and get the car...but if not...I don't recommend it.

by the way, my car doesn't have high mileage. I picked it up with 64,000 miles...I now have 90,000 and in the last month have sunk over $1600 into fixing parts of it.

btw...have you seen my car?

car3smaller.JPG

:D

With the Grand Am GT you're looking at "3.4L 175 hp V6" which gets "20 / 28 mpg"

With the Saturn youre looking at a slower car with better gas mileage.

id go with a Grand Am. I looked up the Kelly Blue Book Suggested Retail Price for that car and they said it should be $8,760. So thats not a bad deal.

ncc

Thanks guys, appreciate the ideas. I am kind of in a crunch to get one of these soon, and the Saturn was my dad's suggestion, while I am partial to the Grand Am. I have a V6 94 Grand am GT right now, so either vehicle would be a big upgrade. Still considering, haven't made a decision yet.

Edited by ncc

If the Pontiac had a different engine , i'd say go for it, but I would take the Saturn,less miles, more reliable engine thats MUCH less expensive to fix. I have personally worked on a 3.4 or two and they are a pain in the something I can't say on this site. My father is an ASE certified tech and he would agree.

Neither - Go with this one:

http://www.cars.com/go/search/detail.jsp;j...06&aff=national

Same price range and a MUCH nicer car then the Grand Am or Saturn. It is in the same area as well.

Here is a Chrysler 300M:

http://www.cars.com/go/search/detail.jsp?t...06&aff=national

Infinity

http://www.cars.com/go/search/detail.jsp?t...06&aff=national

All of the above are better options, in my opinion then the ones listed up top. Wherever you go, if it is a dealership, you should buy the extended warranty they offer....just in case.

I would go with the Gran Prix GTP though, they are very nice cars and quite fast.

• 2 weeks later...

did u go with any car yet??? i got a 2000 grand am se the 4 cyl ..... 70K on it right now. pm me or email me at one800cadence@yahoo.com or hit me up on AIM flux565 i am asking 7,900 for my 2000. if u want more info i will be happy to talk to ya

K NCC, I dont really know all that much about both cars. But I would think the Saturn would be more reliable, hold its value better (both brand recognition resale and less miles), and get better gas mileage.

If you plan on keeping the vehicle as long as possible, I would suggest the Saturn.

If you just want to have something that will be fun for a couple of years and you dont commute very far...I suppose the Pontiac would probably be more fun. Try and take the cars by your mechanic first. Spending $50-100 now could save you alot of $$ down the road.

They are both GM built. I hold my tongue there. Everyone will tell you that little 4 cylinder is slow, but it will run almost the same times as that grand am. Those 4 cylinders are peppy little engines, and will rocket you off the line if you need it to. Other than some HP and Torque differences, that 4 cylinder will light up at higher rpms vs. the grand am's v-6 making power in the lower rpm's. Look at drivetrains as well. Which one will you get more life out of? Take some things in to consideration. The Saturn is 2 years younger than the grand am. It has half the miles that the grand am has. Although it doesn't sound like it has as many "luxury" items, that just means fewer things to go out. Electric windows and locks can turn into a nightmare in a hurry.

Like I constantly remind people who bash Ford or Chevy or any other car manufacturer- Sure, some cars have better statistics, but they are all overly manufactured by a machine. The pieces are all cut, and a lot of them put together by a robotic arm. If that arm, or blade, or whatever part of the machine is off by .00001 cm, eventually something is going to go wrong in the car. It's all chance whether you get a car that holds together or one that the transmission blows up on. Take my truck for example: 1996 Ford Ranger 4.0L w/ 4 sp Auto. Tranny tears itself apart at ~57,000 miles. No serious abuse to the truck that I had known about. Yet, Ford tells me that I had abused the truck since the tranny was in large chunks and not just fine shavings... Something obviously was wrong with it.

Good luck with the new car, whatever you choose!

in the name of everything holy...the father..the son...the friend of the son(lunk)...do not get a saturn... i can't stand them. everyone i've ever known that had one has hated it. its great gas millage and service and stuff- but thats about it. pontiac has a better engine..and is a better car. go with it.

in the name of everything holy...the father..the son...the friend of the son(lunk)...do  not get a saturn... i can't stand them. everyone i've ever known that had one has hated it. its great gas millage and service and stuff- but thats about it. pontiac has a better engine..and is a better car. go with it.

Why does that not make any sense to me? It gets great gas mileage, service, and other "stuff" but you wouldn't suggest it? Dunno. My girlfriend has a 2001 Grand Am right now, and it seems to have some very cheaply made parts. Stereo works great, and it has a potent little v-6. I do not, however, like the steering inputs. Seem very flimsy with no response. Wheel does not want to return. I guess I am trying to say there is no resistance in the steering. Small front seat area of the cabin. Trunk is higher than the rear window, making it very hard to see out, especially with the small stock spoiler and especially at night.

I would !!HIGHLY!! recommend test driving any car you would even, ever consider in your league of cars to buy. Not just to see how they run. Take it out into every situation you could think of ever running into. I am picky when it comes to vehicles, and I know this. I look for things such as pillars, and being able or not being able to see oncoming traffic around them. Visibility is a big thing. If you have ever tried to make a left hand turn, looked right at traffic, but had a passenger leaning forward with their head in the way, then you know what I am talking about. Pillars can do the same thing.