Just plain STUPID

CT Hell

It continually amazes me that a game designed to promote killing and death, is run and administered by those promoting peace and a "why can't we all get along?" attitude. How is it that a player is banned for adhering to a policy? Point in case... a warning to "WATCH YOUR LANGUAGE!" is followed by a simple comment that blood and gore is alright, but no swearing, what is up with that? When the comment is made WITHOUT ANY SWEARING, why is a banning to follow? Is the admin so thin-skinned, immature, and unable to allow a 'LITTLE' disharmony in their virtual world that they must begin banning players who are not tight-lipped or conformists? Makes one wonder how they would be in a real-life leadership position? Stalin-istic, Hitler-istic? Seems like the ability to choose an admin based an ability to address a concern and be able to do so in an intelligent manner, allowing ALL sides to bring to the front their position, would be more beneficial in the long-run. Lord knows there was plenty of time to discuss anything, as the teams in this instance were particularly one-sided. Now, I know you can bring the argument "It is our server and we can do whatever we want!" OK, don't make it public then... I really feel owning a PUBLIC server but not allowing PUBLIC opinion is like moving to the United States from some other part of the world and expecting the U.S. to cater to your beliefs. But I am straying from the topic.... I would have just liked to see a little understanding, considering that when we ALL play CS we DO get frustrated at losing time after time after time.... and venting is bound to occur in one way, shape or form... or perhaps bleeding heart liberal is also considering cursing on your PUBLIC server. IMHO your actions admin today were in every way immature as any comment made trying to vent at multiple losses. :boo:

It continually amazes me that a game designed to promote killing and death, is run and administered by those promoting peace and a "why can't we all get along?" attitude.

Funny, I thought it was just a game not a promoter of killing and death.

Where exactly does killing and death get teamed up with swearing? Show me where Valve has characters dropping an F bomb? This is all an assumption on your part. If the game was chess instead of CS, would swearing be considered inappropriate? Why does the nature of game matter?

Every GC member makes a choice to follow the rules to ensure a good gaming enviroment. We leave it open to the public to show them what's possible. Some get it--most do not.

How is it that a player is banned for adhering to a policy? 

A player is never banned unless he doesn't follow the rules. Why do you need more than 1 warning for swearing? If you are warned for your language and don't agree with it, go play on a server that allows it. There's 4000+ servers out there for people who like to swear. We don't like it and don't allow it. It's not that we can't, we just choose not to. It's all about choice--you chose not to swear in your post. Why is that?

Is the admin so thin-skinned, immature, and unable to allow a 'LITTLE' disharmony in their virtual world that they must begin banning players who are not tight-lipped or conformists?

A thin-skinned admin WOULD allow a little disharmony, a quality admin doesn't. Our admins know the rules and are quick and decisive in removing anyone who is disruptive. Why would you want disharmony on your server? What positive purpose does that serve? What kind of a host allows a poor playing enviroment?

You're angry because the admin kept the gaming enviroment clean and because of that he's Stalin-istic, Hitler-istic? Don't you think that is stretching things a bit?

I agree we all get frustrated in this game and Lord knows many of us had to find different ways to vent instead of swearing. If you give it a chance, I think you'll like what you see. If not, thanks for the post.

Welcome to the forums, by the way.

We have a very rich community of members, regulars and pubbers. Take the time to get to know the community before you dis the method on which we have based it.

Also, we admins are avid gammers and when it comes down to it I'd rather kick/ban someone rather than spending 10 minutes between pointless arguing and get back to the gameplay.

I'm not going to bad mouth you cause you could be a very cool person (upset at the moment, but still). I am going to ask you a question.

What do you get when you have a server packed with 24 people where admins constantly keep the game moving? You have alot of gameplay...and THAT is what we are all about.

Edited by Brillow_Head

Nice post brillow.

Every so often in the server, possibly once a map, there is a message displayed:

"Try complimenting more than you whine!"

Instead of ripping out all of your cuss words, why not congratulate the gamer who killed you? Whats the point of using an offensive word?

I think you'll find that half the people on the gc server frequently swear in real life, but they respect the rules. The rules in the server are there because this is what 'GC' believe makes an appropriate gaming environment.

As brillow said, theres no point throwing insults at you, insults that you truely deserve.

Why not stick around in the servers for a week or two, obey the rules, and maybe you'll come to respect what these brilliant admins have created.

This isn't just a server, where you come on a savagely kill other players, this is a community.

fives around....

up high to brillow and hang

"admins are avid gammers and when it comes down to it I'd rather kick/ban someone rather than spending 10 minutes between pointless arguing" - brillow

"This is like arguing why you can't smoke in a non-smoking area." -hang

down low to fatty

Textbook I-95. Hit it.

oh, too slow.

eh? eh? :biglaugha:

Stalin-istic, Hitler-istic? 

Dunno brother, how would you be in leadership if the only way you could face a frustrating situation is to whine and swear? Believe me man I've been on one sided teams before but you know what the best way to handle the situation is? If your team is bad because they're newer don't bring'em down, maybe help them out a little.

Now I may not agree with the no swearing policy but I follow it on these forums because I like the people here and I have respect enough to follow their rules. Since you took the time to actually register here and post a pretty long post, maybe it could've been possible to calmy ask why there's a no swearing policy instead of trying to belittle them and making analogies to things that have nothing to do with CS or swearing.

This is like arguing why you can't smoke in a non-smoking area.

thats histericl lol.

Can I add my two cents?

I have come to love the GC servers. At first, I was having troubles not cussing on the server, admins straightend me up, and we where all happy. The no cursing rule, imho, isnt for the little guys, its for the big guys. We don't wanna hear you complain basicly, and most of the time, when some one cusses, its more than likely a whine...

Just have fun man, no need for all the controversy(sp?)

Btw, on a side note, what are the admins feelings on positive swearing? Like saying 'the d word' or 'GD!' when someone gets a great shot, or wins the round and is out numberd? Just wondering.

Mr. Duke,

I do like your response to my post, to which I would like to respond.

A player is never banned unless he doesn't follow the rules. Why do you need more than 1 warning for swearing? If you are warned for your language and don't agree with it, go play on a server that allows it. There's 4000+ servers out there for people who like to swear. We don't like it and don't allow it. It's not that we can't, we just choose not to. It's all about choice--you chose not to swear in your post. Why is that?

I was warned, and after that I did stop swearing. I questioned the policy (granted still ticked off at the imbalance) and mentioned bleeding heart liberal, and after that comment was banned. Just as in my post, there was NO FURTHER SWEARING. I was, and am, trying to have an intelligent conversation, albiet while still trying to relay my frustration. Without cursing, without using anything racial or overtly raunchy such as comments concerning ones family or their upbringing... there was none of that. I just want to clarify that.

Brillow Head,

Also a nice post. I agree with not having disruptive play. I don't think asking a question is disruptive. I didn't spam any message, I wasn't spamming anything. I asked a question that someone else also referred to, and then made a comment... all following the stated policy. As I stated earlier I was upset, but I still followed the rules. I believe the banning was a too quick without regard for the big picture. I am not saying all your admins are bad, I am not saying the admin that banned me is 'bad'... I am saying his decision was a little fast and I don't believe that after my warning I did anything to merit the action.

Hey Stepback....

#1 people like you make the atmosphere suck. This community thrives on playing not trash talking! try it sometime.

Seems like trash talk on the board is alive and well (from some members).... I don't suck btw, I was frustrated.

Anyway... I enjoyed reading the responses where people actually put some thought into them. It seems like this board, (and prolly most of the people playing the game) are pretty cool. I apologize if my actions were disruptive, I was frustrated and upset. However, I still think the banning was not warranted.

Thank you everyone for your time whether it was posting or reading our discussion.

Bull3tc@tch3r

Mr. Duke,

I do like your response to my post, to which I would like to respond.

I was warned, and after that I did stop swearing.  I questioned the policy (granted still ticked off at the imbalance) and mentioned bleeding heart liberal, and after that comment was banned.  Just as in my post, there was NO FURTHER SWEARING.  I was, and am, trying to have an intelligent conversation, albiet while still trying to relay my frustration.  Without cursing, without using anything racial or overtly raunchy such as comments concerning ones family or their upbringing... there was none of that.  I just want to clarify that.

You gotta understand we see a lot of complainers come through here and it gets old saying the same thing over and over. I like the the fact that you've stuck around to respond.

The admin did was he was supposed to do and you (eventually) did what what we like to see--move any questions/comments/complaints to the forums.

Gamechat is not the place to question things.

Could it have been handled differently? Sure. But exceptions create exponential work for everyone. We keep it simple for a reason. Disruption = removal.

I will say that a lot of us came to GC exactly the same way you did. We came in wondering "why can't I swear...?!?!" and then realized how unique this place is. No punks, lots of laughter, fun and teamplay in a nice enviroment. Not too many places like this one.

I invite you to check out the forums & servers and notice the camaraderie while you're looking. I believe this place makes you a better person (and who doesn't want to be better?).

If it doesn't interest you, that's ok. It'll click eventually.

* I just noticed you apologized for you actions which is exactly what we look for. No whining, just accept responsibility for your screw up and move on. If you want the ban lifted to check out our servers more, I'll do that. Just say the word.*

(edited)

I would appreciate the ban being lifted... most of the time it is a fun game, sometimes I want to go kick the neighbors dog (J/K :shrug03: ).

I would like to see the issue addressed if the teams are way off-ballanced tho. I see someone else posted that issue as well. Good to see I wasn't imagining anything. Scores like 18 v. 3 are just frustrating. Some of the best matches I have played there was no massive lead by any one team.

I would challenge the more experienced players to play on the team that has the disadvantage, even if you aren't playing your favorite side (ie T or CT).

I appreciate your time with the unbanning and look forward to playing with ya'll in the future.

Edited by CT Hell

Post up your steam ID and I'll take care of it.

Team stacking is a constant discussion. Most of our regs and members try to switch teams around 4-0. Our admins usually call a blowout around 7-0.

Again, this won't happen everytime but it's the general MO. We try to keep the game moving at smoothly as possible but sometimes it doesn't always happen (as you found out).

Do your part to help out with this ongoing issue.

:peace:

(edited)

If I may, I am very impressed with all of the posts here. CT, I have been a member of the GC for about 10 months now and I have to congradulate you on a very well thought out post. Believe me when I say I understand the frustration. :(

It is at times difficult for me to hold back in venting my frustrations , but as Mrduke and everyone here has pointed out, it's something you just kinda get use to and realize that its does make you a better person. I, just like many others here have played on a lot of the other servers, and I can tell you, it is very refreshing to know there are servers like ours out there.

I am sure we will and hope to see you in our servers again. Just my 2 cents :D

I will be looking forward to Detox post, to see if his goes as well.

Edited by Primus

Is there a place where we can gather these conversations up and put them into one big pile?

I've seen about 4 of these in the last 2 days, and instead of members argueing the same points over and over again, shouldn't we just tell them to read these complaints that have already been dealt with, that can be found using this link ####.gc.com ?

It continually amazes me that a game designed to promote killing and death, is run and administered by those promoting peace and a "why can't we all get along?" attitude.  How is it that a player is banned for adhering to a policy?  Point in case... a warning to "WATCH YOUR LANGUAGE!" is followed by a simple comment that blood and gore is alright, but no swearing, what is up with that?  When the comment is made WITHOUT ANY SWEARING, why is a banning to follow?  Is the admin so thin-skinned, immature, and unable to allow a 'LITTLE' disharmony in their virtual world that they must begin banning players who are not tight-lipped or conformists?  Makes one wonder how they would be in a real-life leadership position?  Stalin-istic, Hitler-istic?  Seems like the ability to choose an admin based an ability to address a concern and be able to do so in an intelligent manner, allowing ALL sides to bring to the front their position, would be more beneficial in the long-run.  Lord knows there was plenty of time to discuss anything, as the teams in this instance were particularly one-sided.  Now, I know you can bring the argument "It is our server and we can do whatever we want!"  OK, don't make it public then...  I really feel owning a PUBLIC server but not allowing PUBLIC opinion is like moving to the United States from some other part of the world and expecting the U.S. to cater to your beliefs.  But I am straying from the topic....  I would have just liked to see a little understanding, considering that when we ALL play CS we DO get frustrated at losing time after time after time....  and venting is bound to occur in one way, shape or form...  or perhaps bleeding heart liberal is also considering cursing on your PUBLIC server.  IMHO your actions admin today were in every way immature as any comment made trying to vent at multiple losses.  :boo:

WTB - Paragraph ...paying well.

j/k :halo: Welcome to the forums :wavey:

I just want to comment on your mentioning the team imbalance/blowouts. I don't think it's my place to get into the rest of the discussion.

We always try to encourage even and fair play, but it's not easy to get the sides even all the time. Myself, I watch the score and will usually be the first person to switch when the sides are uneven, but sometimes it's not enough. I'll usually start asking people to even the teams up and sometimes this works, sometimes not. Best we can do, and are doing, is try. We won't always be successfull but that doesn't mean it doesn't work.

Any of those that play scopeless have probably seen me asking to even sides up when things get 5-0. Of course I"m not nearly the only admin doing this either. It's just not always easy to even things out when you're also trying to enjoy at least some of the game yourself. As admins we try to put everyone else's game first and ours second.

Nice post CT. And nice responses Duke. You guys handled it very well.

CT, I would just like to add one thing. We have the "no swear" policy in there simply because there are a lot of young people who play this game. And we would prefer that they not hear this kind of language on our server. We cannot control what games other parents buy for their kids. But, we can control what those kids hear on our servers.

We encourage people to come here if they have a complaint on how we handle things on our servers. We don't like to disrupt game play by hashing out a disagreement in game.

Once again, you handled yourself very well here. Welcome back. Hope you continue to stick around in the community. :peace: