Modern Myths

mookie

A week or so back when I was playing CS:S, somebody asked me something about my connection, and I responded that it was 10mbps half-duplex (this is technically true, although the effective throughput to a single host for me is usually only 1.5mbps, and anyways is irrelevant).

The guy said back to me that, if that were true, my ping would be lower. Evidently he's under the impression that bandwidth and latency are directly (or rather inversely) correlated. To me this seems kind of silly, but I guess probably a lot of people think this.

So, what other wierd and untrue things do people believe out there?

So, what other wierd and untrue things do people believe out there?

Namely, that this isn't you! :biglaugha:

But seriously...sooo many people think that number beside their name/score whatnot when you press tab in CS:S is their ping...lots of people think a T1 connection is super fast and super expensive...people believe that M2 is Natalie Portman and that SJ isn't Shakira (dirty hippie :biglaugha: )...people believe that 12pm is noon where it's actually midnight (yes, the rest of the world considers noon to be 12am)...people believe that heat rises, which is untrue, but too long to explain here...people believe that no two snowflakes are alike, which statistically is highly improbable...people believe that things are impossible, which is silly, statistically everything is possible, just some things are highly improbable...people believe that money doesn't grow on trees, I'd like to know where they think money comes from then?...people think that ice is slippery, which it isn't, it's the layer ice that melts into water that is slippery, not the ice itself...i could go on and it's best that I don't because I have an urge to get into religious myths (oxymoron express!) and that doesn't belong here!

the number beside your name is your latency correct? which is the amount of time it takes data to get from your machine to the server and vice versa.

You ping is the total round trip to server and back to you. Is this right?

ahh yes, I have a 15Mbps connection, which allows me to download at high rates of speed if I can find someone serving up that much bandwidth. But I have the same ping if I throttle it down to 1Mbps.

It all depends on whos routers your going through, how much bandwidth is currently being used on your connection, with relation to maximum capacity... blah blah blah

Many people think humans lived with the dinosours.. When in reality Dinosours as well as 90% of every other creature died 65 million years ago. Modern Human has been around 20,000 years I believe.

haha. Whats AOL?

Actually On Line?

Atheists On Line?

Anarchy On Line?

Always Over Loaded?

America Out to Lunch?

Somethingsomethings On line?

I've built an extension on my house with those free CDs...

Guest ash-
Guest ash-
Guest ash-
Guests
(edited)

One of these myths that really annoys me is the myth that dial up users somehow lag the server because of their high ping. While it is true that dial up users can be difficult to get good hit registration on they are in no way lagging the server. Obviously if your connection can only pull 3-5k/s of data from the server then it is not gonna make much of a difference to the overall bandwidth of the server. The real "laggers" are the guys that can utilize the full sv_maxrate of the server which happens to be about 10k/s on recru.

Another stupid myth comes from the guys that whine about awps taking no skill to use. I remember when I first started using the awp back in CS 1.1 and I used to get my butt kicked left and right. The awp is a difficult weapon to use as you have to sit still to get full accuracy and it will leave you with a huge debt should you happen to get killed. Admittingly, no one likes being killed by a 1s1k uber weapon so it is understandable why someone would get angry about a guy that is mopping the floor with his awp; just don't accuse him of being a n00b until you can start buying awps without dying and not having to have to buy deagles for the rest of the game.

Edited by ash-

I've built an extension on my house with those free CDs...

:biglaugha: Oh man thats great. We give those free CDs away at my work. I always laugh when people actually take them

I remember breaking them when I was younger. I had a huge (well for me it was huge) 10 person melee battle, we just threw those discs at each other... *sigh* good times, good times...

One of these myths that really annoys me is the myth that dial up users somehow lag the server because of their high ping. While it is true that dial up users can be difficult to get good hit registration on they are in no way lagging the server. Obviously if your connection can only pull 3-5k/s of data from the server then it is not gonna make much of a difference to the overall bandwidth of the server. The real "laggers" are the guys that can utilize the full sv_maxrate of the server which happens to be about 10k/s on recru.

Another stupid myth comes from the guys that whine about awps taking no skill to use. I remember when I first started using the awp back in CS 1.1 and I used to get my butt kicked left and right. The awp is a difficult weapon to use as you have to sit still to get full accuracy and it will leave you with a huge debt should you happen to get killed. Admittingly, no one likes being killed by a 1s1k uber weapon so it is understandable why someone would get angry about a guy that is mopping the floor with his awp; just don't accuse him of being a n00b until you can start buying awps without dying and not having to have to buy deagles for the rest of the game.

Alot of the people on scopeless have used the AWP before. I have played on and off since 1.4 and never stepped into a scopeless server until source. We all know how much "Skill" the AWP takes(none).

Alot of the people on scopeless have used the AWP before. I have played on and off since 1.4 and never stepped into a scopeless server until source. We all know how much "Skill" the AWP takes(none).

FWIW I never could use the AWP. Of course, I'm willing to take the place of the least skill in the whole world (really!) so given that, I can only see one of two options:

(1) It must take at least a little skill to use an AWP,

or the more likely possibility,

(2) I have negative skill.

Actually, negative skill seems pretty stupid, so let's nix (2). Also, let's nix expressing skill in complex numbers...though that may actually be on to something, considering how much skill some people say they have and how much of it is imaginary...

Okay, sorry, I'm done. Seriously.

More myths I've seen: tactical FPS games take less skill because people just find a spot and wait for someone to click on. Definitely not true. It's a practiced art, and takes time to learn how to predict enemy movement/behavior on a map.

Another one: reflex FPS games take little skill, since people just mash the keyboard/controller and spam for kills. Different type of skills used.

For the AWP taking no skill debate - I think it does. I think ALL weapons require skill to be used properly. There's a saying in the military: "if it's stupid but it works, it's not stupid."

I remember being SO FRUSTRATED when I'd see people spam spidermines in Unreal Tournament. They were little creatures that would chase you and detonate when they got close enough. What kind of skill does that take, right? But they'd be able to take me down pretty consistently. So selecting a weapon that could easily disable me was very effective, and hence skilled. I had to adapt by figuring out a way to stop the little buggers (which I did), and cancel out that skill.

I think the same thing applies with the AWP. It doesn't take any skill? Ok, then that shouldn't bother you. Just eliminate the AWPer and continue on. But something tells me that in the back of your mind, what you're REALLY thinking is "I don't have the skill to get around the AWPer". Adapt or complain... it's your choice. :)

The AWP might take skill but the amount of skill is so small it's negligible. Every other weapon in the game is harder to kill someone with.

...depending on the situation, right? The statement "every other weapon in the game is harder to kill someone with" only applies to medium-to-long distance situations. Try taking an AWPer out from across the map with a shotgun or mp5. Probably not gonna happen.

Now take the same guns, but put the two people in a small enclosed space. Which would you rather have: a shotgun or AWP?

(edited)
The AWP might take skill but the amount of skill is so small it's negligible. Every other weapon in the game is harder to kill someone with.

I would say you are right if you are shooting at a majority of people holding rifles at a long distance. It does take less skill than a rifle in the same situation.

To be an awper you must be good with a pistol at medium/short range. something not required by rifles.

But then again, if you play with awpers, you figure out how they work and how to avoid getting killed by one. Something you can't learn on scopeless :D

i would defintely say the majority of the ppl who play on stock, do not use the awp at all. If your team is dominating it is OK, but in alot of situations your sort of asking for death.

Edited by NOFX