Problems with my 1 day old pc...

Playaa

so I got all my parts in last night, put the computer together and booted it up for the first time...and it never goes past the bootup screen with the motherboard manufacturer and model number. (never even makes it to a place where I can enter the bios)

So...my first problem is that I have no compatible machine to swap parts with to see what works and what doesn't...so I have to figure out what the problem is so I can RMA that part quickly.

I called Asus and basically they just had me repeat the steps I had already done (unplug all Hard Drives, unplug all USB devices, get it down to just MOBO, Power Supply, Ram and Processor) and confirmed that it's probably the Ram, Processor or Motherboard that's bad.

So...I'm here for advice.

When I boot up the computer, I get 1 beep, then this screen and then nothing else. It just sits there.

If I remove the RAM chip and boot up I get alot of beeps and it never even turns the monitor on...so to me that says the RAM is probably working fine.

If the processor doesn't work, I'd assume that it would also never get anywhere near this far right? If the processor was DOA I wouldn't see a thing on the screen either...or maybe that's wrong and you can get a bootup but no BIOS if the processor is fried but the MOBO works? (this doesn't seem possible to me)

I'm ASSUMING it's the motherboard that's bad since the RAM and the Processor being bad would keep me from even getting anything on the screen.

Does that sound like I'm on the right track?

I brought the MOBO and Processor into work today so I can RMA one or both of them...but I would hope I wouldn't have to do that...I'm hoping it's just a dead MOBO.

My dad had similar problems with his PC (not that any bit of it was new) and at first we thought it was the power supply...it turned out to be a bad mobo...but what was happening wasn't the same as what you describe...we at least got to the bios to watch the cpu temp climb until everything froze

personally i think you have a bad power supply...if you can't even make it to the bios...cujo will fix it tho

If the processor doesn't work, I'd assume that it would also never get anywhere near this far right? If the processor was DOA I wouldn't see a thing on the screen either...or maybe that's wrong and you can get a bootup but no BIOS if the processor is fried but the MOBO works? (this doesn't seem possible to me)

not always true, if the processor is crap, it can still get that far, but my guess is the motherboard. RMA both to be safe?

have you tried resetting the bios by swapping the cmos jumper? have you tried each stick of ram in each separate slot. try continuously hitting insert after you hit the power button to boot the system.

if yes to those and still nothing on the screen then my best guess is the mobo.

btw, the monitor is turned on, right?

HA!

yes the monitor is on :P

I tried switching the RAM around, I've hit every button the keyboard while the system is booting but I actually didn't try resetting the bios by swapping the cmos jumper...would that really fix it?

I was planning on shipping it out RMA today but if switching the CMOS might fix it maybe I'll try that? I REALLY want this thing working as soon as possible...

FWIW, No RAM <> Bad RAM. Even if the RAM is bad, you're likely to get two different results between working with it and removing it entirely. Of course, that depends on what's wrong with it and what mobo you're using, so YMMV, but even though I think it's a less likely problem I wouldn't discount the RAM from the lineup just yet...

very true but if there is more then 1 stick then it's likely that one of the two would work. unless the bios isn't recognizing it properly and setting the timings wrong. if that were the case then hitting insert on boot would at least allow you to get to bios.

very true but if there is more then 1 stick then it's likely that one of the two would work. unless the bios isn't recognizing it properly and setting the timings wrong. if that were the case then hitting insert on boot would at least allow you to get to bios.

True, but I presumed based on...

...If I remove the RAM chip and boot up I get alot of beeps and it never even turns the monitor on...

of course, there may be more than one available, and I should have asked if it was one chip. Playaa, is there more than one stick you can try?

there actually is only 1 RAM chip.

However I already RMA'd the motherboard so let's hope it's the problem. I'll know in about a week when I get the new one back. If the same problem occurs I'm sending back the Processor AND the RAM this time.

hmm if i'd remembered there was only 1 ram stick i'd have suggested that right off. i highly doubt it's the cpu as i've never actually had a doa cpu or known anyone that has. i've had plenty of dead mobos and ram though.

I am trying to remember if the computer will get to the bios if the RAM is not compatible... cant remember. I have heard of ASUS and Gigabyte sending out bad motherboards before. So I am guessing its that.

I would go with cujo on this, reset your CMOS

hmm if i'd remembered there was only 1 ram stick i'd have suggested that right off. i highly doubt it's the cpu as i've never actually had a doa cpu or known anyone that has. i've had plenty of dead mobos and ram though.

I had a DOA CPU once, one of the pins was missing/broken I forget which however I did get it to work for a bit before it restarted.

Hook up the PC speaker, and if it ever gets far enough into bios, you might get a coded beep that will tell you the problem.

I know you already sent it, but if you were getting a beep, chances are that in your MOBO manual it tells you what that type of beep means.

I had an ASUS board, got a beep, but couldn't get anywhere...got to where I push the button to enter BIOS, but not into it. I was getting that audible beep though.

I looked it up, it told me what was wrong. (I can't remember what it was, but it amounted to me sending back the MOBO)

That being said, there are different types of beeps for different types of problems. I.E. it will beep a certain way if the RAM is bad, or if the gfx card is bad, etc.

I had a DOA CPU once, one of the pins was missing/broken I forget which however I did get it to work for a bit before it restarted.

lol i've had one of those too but i was assuming he would have noticed a missing pin. i meant i've never had a doa cpu with any visible damage.

i've never heard of a motherboard getting to bios with bad memory.

I had this happen about two builds ago and it was the MB shorting out on something on the case..make sure you dont have extra pins sitting under the MB..use only the ones it says to secure the MB. If not that then a RMA for sure. It should not be the CPU and would get further if the RAM had errors unless it is TOTALLY BAD. Again, check the pin in the case when you put in the new MB... :)

I had this happen about two builds ago and it was the MB shorting out on something on the case..make sure you dont have extra pins sitting under the MB..use only the ones it says to secure the MB. If not that then a RMA for sure. It should not be the CPU and would get further if the RAM had errors unless it is TOTALLY BAD. Again, check the pin in the case when you put in the new MB... :)

Yep. I always look for this now. That's a good way to destroy any mobo, and its not that obvious. :biglaugha:

well the board is already on its way back to newegg so let's just hope it was the problem (I'm not sure if I can handle more waiting if it isn't).

as for the beep...it was just a normal "my pc is booting up" beep...at least I thought that's what it was but I just realized my work pc doesn't beep at all when it boots up so maybe that's not normal?

well the board is already on its way back to newegg so let's just hope it was the problem (I'm not sure if I can handle more waiting if it isn't).

as for the beep...it was just a normal "my pc is booting up" beep...at least I thought that's what it was but I just realized my work pc doesn't beep at all when it boots up so maybe that's not normal?

I would make sure you check the manual for any beep-codes...if you shipped that with the MOBO when you RMA'd, you can find the manuals online

Edited by [LaW]Maverick

• 4 weeks later...

soooo...long story short, after about 3 weeks of waiting and 7+ hours of time and $60+ of cash and tons and TONS of screaming and cursing...and multiple calls to the motherboard manufacturer and to Newegg customer service someone at Asus FINALLY decides to ask "what model processor is it?" and after I tell him that it's an Opteron Model 1210, he informs me that even though the Opteron is an Athlon 64 Socket AM2 processor and the motherboard uses Athlon 64 Socket AM2 processors...the Opteron is in fact NOT compatible because it's ACTUALLY a Socket 940 processor (Socket AM2 has 940 pins but Socket 940, while completely interchangeable pinwise, is not truly interchangeable)

wow...I have just wasted alot of money and time...I shipped back a motherboard, shipped back a processor, reordered the processor (the old one was Open Box, got a new one this time), ordered completely different RAM (2 512MB sticks vs 1 1GB stick) and even switched out my old power supply to see if that was the problem. So after all that time and effort and cash...I need to decide if I want to switch processors or if I want to switch motherboards. I will absolutely overnight the one I choose because I can't wait any longer for this piece of crap to work. My computer that I hoped not to spend more than $300-400 extra on (after getting $400 for Christmas) I have now spent nearly $800 extra on...and it still doesn't work.

so kids...what should I do?

right now I'm pretty sure I'm switching the mobo out because the one I have won't support this processor and I like this processor alot. It's an Opteron 1.8ghz Dual Core. The motherboard also has something I don't need anymore...onboard video. I picked up a video card on sale (Radeon 256mb X850 Pro).

If I switch out motherboards, I need one that supports DDR2 800mhz RAM (I want at least 4GB support though I only have 2GB worth of chips right now), has PCI-E 16x, has SATA...y'know what...screw that...I think it might just be easier to switch processors. So what processor should I get? I want a processor that will allow me to not have to upgrade for awhile. I want to be able to watch movies, play newer video games, burn DVD's relatively quickly...I definitely want 64bit and I'd really like Dual Core (unless that's just overkill or something).

Also...I don't actually have Windows XP 64bit edition...is that a problem? Is it ok to run 32 bit on a 64bit processor until I switch to Vista? (which might be never)

anyway...I'd like to get this working as soon as possible. It's too late to order today and get it tomorrow so I'll be ordering it tomorrow at work and getting it in on Friday. Help me out please guys...

reference sake, the motherboard is an Asus Model #M2NBP-VM CSM. If you think I should switch mobo's instead of processors just tell me that then and show me what I should buy.