Is it confirmed that there will be rental PC's this year

farmerisme

• 2 weeks later...

Received via e-mail from the Rental PC people:

I have talked with Alex and he is will to do the FF. WOuld be the same computers as before, but he would like to have people bring their own mouse and headphones. Might help stop people from complaining if they have their own headphones and mice. Guess Mike had a bunch of complaints last year from what I herd.

I ASSUME the price is the same as last year, but someone will confirm that soon so that its not an assumption.

I just have to say this. The rental PCs are not that great for CS. Especially if they are the same ones from the previous two years, they are going to chug (just like they have for the last two FFs). If you're considering renting a PC from Escape this year, be aware that you should consider it as a necessity only. If you're flying in, they are probably a good idea, if you're driving bring your own box, you'll be glad you did.

No offense to Escape, they do a great job every year and their computers run fine, but they're a little out dated now and could only play CSS so well to begin with.

There were a few disappointed people who were not expecting 3+ year old PCs last year and I would hate to see it happen again this year.

• 1 month later...
(edited)
There were a few disappointed people who were not expecting 3+ year old PCs last year and I would hate to see it happen again this year.

To be honest when I read this I was kinda surprised they haven't upgraded their system's at Escape, it's been awhile since I was there for one of their All - Nighter LAN parties but I remember when I was was there, it was around the time of FF'06 and I sat there thinking to myself man my at home PC is better than this... still bummed I missed FF'06 but that weekend my 2nd son was born so you know how that goes.. was going to try and hit FF'08 but past few years have been a little grim as far as finace's go <_<

Edited by TheBum

I wasnt planning on bringing mine since I rarely play, I was gonna have rentals at my 2 spots for use, but if there are no rentals, I can pack mine up and bring it. It will be available for use, I may play for a 1/2 hour here and there, but anyone may feel free to play on it :)

You guys may have to just figure it out...ship them to me or whatever.

Escape is OUT. That was confirmed TODAY. I've been giving you thie info as fast as I can get it.

We're not done looking for someone to provide this service, however.

Ship it to the hotel??? Someone did that last year didn't they?

I don't want to hear any more of this "i can't come" stuff. We'll figure it out, case by case if we have to. Heh..hehe...case by case...heh

I made a phone call and have a possible lead on something.

What's the cost to ship your PC? In all seriousness, I'd be glad to have them shipped to me and get the box to you at FF. I really hope I can find someone to provide us PCs......who knows what the price would be. But I also hope this doesn't stop people from coming, especially someone who's already been there.

Farmer, are you driving? I assume this from Jackie's post after yours. Do you not have a system at home atm?

In the end, we'll work it all out.

After the drive last year I was strongly planning on flying in this year... my system at home is busted (the reason I have not been on the server in months) and probably won't purchase another one by this summer. If I did I would consider shipping it (but not flying with it in baggage), my plan was that by renting I would have a system that worked. That is my main concern.

Worst case worst I could make arrangements somehow... obviously if there was a way to provide rentals from someone, I would be all over that. Or perhaps I will use this as an excuse to buy another PC. I will watch for info and may just have to play things by ear.

I think Jackie was hoping for my chaperoning efforts through the airports or as a ride.

Thanks for your efforts on this, I know you guys do alot for the FF event and in no way want to pile more on your plates!

If it means someone not coming, consider mine as useable, I was gonna have it setup at my spot for open play but if someone needs it THAT bad, as in, cant come without it, I will just give it up for the weekend as I do not play much anyways. I will also see about putting something together as a loaner, I think I have enough stuff here to do it, might not be the best, but I can assemble a CS worthy PC with a 7900GT KO and a 19 inch LCD.

I'll do what I can personally to help anyone I can.