Windows 7 Beta

Lunk

Microsoft is opening up a test version of Windows 7 for folks to download this Friday. It will expire in 6 months. And I would like to try it out for grins. But I'm in a training class thru Friday, then driving home from Dallas Friday afternoon. Any chance someone could download it and host it so that I might get it Friday night?

It will be available at here

Thanks. BTW I just read about this in USA Today Paper while having my morning coffee.

• Replies 235
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Is the number of downloads limited, or just the time it will be available for download (ie, why not just grab it Friday night)? Is there anything in the article that makes you think you can download it and redistribute it?

I'll be happy to try, but I'd be really, really surprised if you can download it in a format that can be redistributed.

edit: done some searching

- msdn guys have access to it now.

- public will have access tomorrow. # of downloads will be limited to 2.5M.

Darnit, now I've got to grab a copy for my VM.

(edited)

Evidently you could download it previously. I see one up on a <.< "special site" that says it was taken from MS' site this morning before they got slammed. Also said you will need an SN from MS eventually but you don't need it to install.

Jordan, is the MSDN one the same exact one as this one? If so, I might just grab it from a guy here at work.

Edited by dwEEziL

On a somewhat related note, anyone think when it's finally released MS will offer a direct (ie free) upgrade from Vista Ult? Or will they Apple it up and charge for what appears to be a simple OS update?
If it doesn't have 8 different flavors to choose from, it's not worth paying for.

...or will they Microsoft it up and charge for what appears to be a simple OS degradation?

Evidently you could download it previously. I see one up on a <.< "special site" that says it was taken from MS' site this morning before they got slammed. Also said you will need an SN from MS eventually but you don't need it to install.

Jordan, is the MSDN one the same exact one as this one? If so, I might just grab it from a guy here at work.

Most likely the same build. Released to close to the same date to have different versions. They typically don't start doing any feature divergence until closer to release.

Just installed on my laptop that's 2-3 years old. (AMD Turion 64 - TL50 with 2 gb ram). Seems to run as fast as XP so far. Have to use vista 64 drivers for video and chipset.

Gotta say the interface keeps reminding me of linux desktops. So far it meets the "neat" factor...

Still awaiting a product key. I was able to download it directly from microsoft though from some link I found. http://www.gearlive.com/news/article/q408-...download-links/

Postponed by Microsoft because they were not prepared. Servers were crashing They also decided to let everyone download a 3GB-ish sized file one at a time rather than use something intelligent like Bit torrent. Microsoft screwed this up.

But let me add that if you have the ISO, you can burn it and install anyway. You get 30 days plus you can rearm it up to 3 times to get a total of 120 days with it without a key.