Windows 7 Beta

Lunk

ya, changing work to work properly makes a huge difference. lol.

i've not tried surround as i only have stereo headphones hooked up to my gaming pc. spdif pass through works fine on my media centre but that's not creative. i've only played css so far and it works fine.

avg free should work. my nod32 works fine.

• Replies 235
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

windows 7 is my new primary os. now that i have sound working i will not be going back ever.

I have DL'd both verisons but I can not get anyone of them to install, it just sits for ever and then the it says it is doing stuff and then reboots and then the monitor goes black and stays that way forever...

Anyone else have any issues, or could you help a brother out???

windows 7 is my new primary os. now that i have sound working i will not be going back ever.

I have DL'd both verisons but I can not get anyone of them to install, it just sits for ever and then the it says it is doing stuff and then reboots and then the monitor goes black and stays that way forever...

I had the issue of it staying on a plain blue screen for what seemed like an eternity, once I thought it froze so I rebooted and started over, then the same thing happened, only this time I had to go do a few things around the house and when I came back, it had started installing.....nothing like your rebooting or black screen issue tho.

I had the issue of it staying on a plain blue screen for what seemed like an eternity, once I thought it froze so I rebooted and started over, then the same thing happened, only this time I had to go do a few things around the house and when I came back, it had started installing.....nothing like your rebooting or black screen issue tho.

So maybe I just need to let it go for longer....??

How long did it take you?

So maybe I just need to let it go for longer....??

How long did it take you?

Not sure...had to be at least 15 minutes before I came back in the room...can't hurt to wait it out and see :D

So to amend my list of what works and what doesn't. Crysis, Crysis: Warhead, and Bioshock all hard lock when changing options or loading level. Hmmm... I have not tried a DX 9 only game yet (all of previous were DX 10), but I wonder if it has something to do with the DX 11 features of Win 7?

Anybody else try DX 10 games?

I've been playing Crysis on and off for the last 2 weeks, and after a while it starts to artifact and freeze, then again, sometimes is plays through perfectly fine. I have also had CSS crash on me, but only 2x since I installed Win7. Overall for a beta, it's still not bad. I have had some problems with getting programs to work, but that is expected.

So far it's been kinda quirky for me and I haven't even installed or tried any games yet. It has frozen on me twice while shutting down, and I had a hell of a time installing my motherboard drivers. Video card stuff all happened on it's own, nVidia drivers and control panel seem to be working fine.

• 3 weeks later...

Ok...to summarize.

I cannot play any games (see previous posts) after install of latest vista 64 bit drivers for gpu and chipset.

Every single game will run through the intro movie type crap...then will hang on loading of first level.

Tried so far:

crysis/warhead

bioshock

farcry 2

not tried fallout 3.

I know that everyone has said run with admin privs, etc...but I can't even use quicklaunch or desktop icons to get game up and running. I have to load game DVD and wait for autorun to kick in...then, I have no option to run .exe as admin etc.

any suggestions?

Ok...to summarize.

I cannot play any games (see previous posts) after install of latest vista 64 bit drivers for gpu and chipset.

Every single game will run through the intro movie type crap...then will hang on loading of first level.

Tried so far:

crysis/warhead

bioshock

farcry 2

not tried fallout 3.

I know that everyone has said run with admin privs, etc...but I can't even use quicklaunch or desktop icons to get game up and running. I have to load game DVD and wait for autorun to kick in...then, I have no option to run .exe as admin etc.

any suggestions?

Why are you installing drivers?? I have 780i w/ 8800gt and xfi sound card. The ONLY drivers I have installed are for the XFI card. Vista comes with the drivers you need for mobo, and GFX, there is a driver for the GFX through win update, that will say it phailed upon install, but if you reboot, it works. Unless you are using equipment that you have to install drivers for, I would not install any. ie You plug in your onboard ethernet/sound and it works w/o a hitch. On XP for example, you would have to have the drivers.

Why are you installing drivers?? I have 780i w/ 8800gt and xfi sound card. The ONLY drivers I have installed are for the XFI card. Vista comes with the drivers you need for mobo, and GFX, there is a driver for the GFX through win update, that will say it phailed upon install, but if you reboot, it works. Unless you are using equipment that you have to install drivers for, I would not install any. ie You plug in your onboard ethernet/sound and it works w/o a hitch. On XP for example, you would have to have the drivers.

I have 2 8800GT in SLI. Windows stock drivers do not support SLI (from all observations at least, I couldn't figure out how to enable...), not only that, but I couldn't get any gpu fan controller programs to work with the stock windows drivers. I got the same fail on update install of new gpu drivers, and I did reboot, but they still didn't install. The only reason I installed chipset drivers was as a last resort to see if that was the prob. Nope.

Man, I think I'm jinxed. Thanks for your input though. I may just wipe and reinstall, then try again.

I wonder if a bios update would help?

I have 2 8800GT in SLI. Windows stock drivers do not support SLI (from all observations at least, I couldn't figure out how to enable...), not only that, but I couldn't get any gpu fan controller programs to work with the stock windows drivers. I got the same fail on update install of new gpu drivers, and I did reboot, but they still didn't install. The only reason I installed chipset drivers was as a last resort to see if that was the prob. Nope.

Man, I think I'm jinxed. Thanks for your input though. I may just wipe and reinstall, then try again.

I wonder if a bios update would help?

I am running dual 8800gt in SLI with the stock Win7 drivers from Win7. When you install it the first time it says if failed, then just restart, and you should have a popup in the bottom right of the task bar saying something about recognizing SLI. If not, you "should" be able to right click on the desktop and go to the NVidia tab, and you can set up SLI there. I've reformatted about 3 times since getting Win7 trying out things etc, and every time the Win7 drivers worked. They aren't the best, but they work the best for me. As for a fan controller, I use the latest Rivatuner, also works with no problems... at least I think.

Is anyone having a problem with the media player. I can watch burned movies but rented ones won't play at all. They start and then lock up and thats all she wrote. Not sure if maybe the region needs to be reset or what. Just wondering if anyone else is having this problem.

media player home cinema plus ffd show for me.

also, just upgraded my system the other day to a i7 920, asus p6t and 6gb ddr3 1600. so far windows 7 works just as well as the old hardware. still waiting for see if those nasty random bsods with atixxx crashing are gone. hasn't happened yet but they were always random anyway.

i also upgraded my media centre and i've been having crashing issues simply turning on the tv or logging in remotely. think it's nvidia chipset drivers aren't playing as nice as the intel one before it did.

Installed COD4 yesterday. FPS is identical to XP, I get a range of 70 to 90 fps on both OS's, going to reinstall UT and see what happens. Now take into consideration UT is an 04 game and is not utilizing dx10 so the fps may not be very good. I think cod4 actually runs better in 7, I may have to reinstall some others just to compare.

• 1 month later...
(edited)

Going around looking for updated drivers.. Found some for my Creative card from Creative. Yes they are a beta version, but I will try them out see if they work etc. Maybe better then the Vista-hacked ones I'm using. Haven't seen one for NV yet, I guess they are waiting for RC1 to come out NEXT WEEK!#!#!

Also a Direct X update. But probably nothing important in that.

Edited by NorgmaN