Apache > you : video

gOOters

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Those were some kind'a mini-missiles or explosive, incenerary rounds. Wow, I've seen someone in the position that the guy rolling on the ground was in. A Marine from another unit stepped on a live land-mine during our clearing operation in Estonia back in 2001. His entire right leg was gone, and most of his left leg, the blast tore him up from feet to about chest level. That video makes me miss bein active and helpin out my brothers. :(

Yeah, now that you mention it the whole lack of chopper filler seems obvious. But it also could have been a Warthog. They're much more suited to low-ground assaults than c-130's. c-130's are the big yellow schoolbuses of the air.

Yeah, now that you mention it the whole lack of chopper filler seems obvious. But it also could have been a Warthog. They're much more suited to low-ground assaults than c-130's. c-130's are the big yellow schoolbuses of the air.

DO you mean the angle of attack? Yeah...it looked low, but man does the warthog have that kind of range? I know the AC-130 can rip it up on the ground.

I think it was most likley an Apache attack helicopter or Cobra. I believe they both have stablizing features and thermal imaging. It seems the bullets and the video are comming from the same hovering object. The rate of fire is pretty slow for any type of fixed-wing aircraft. The A-10 has an extreme rate of fire and the AC-130 has to fly a circular pattern in order to fire on the same target because they only have weapons on one side.

Negative. c130's are outfitted with 30mm on both sides, the big guns are only on one side though.

And the Warthog's 30mm are the same as a cobra and the apache isn't used much anymore for ground assaults.

My books show a head-on veiw of the AC-130 and it shows weapons only on the left side; it shows the Cobra attack helicopter having a three barrel 20mm gatling while the A-10 as having a seven barrel 30mm, but you could be right, my books on that subject are a few years old and there are so many different varients of each platform. ;)

Lance sorry bro but Wathog A-10 has totally different cannon than Apache....you are mixing them up probably cuz they both use Depleted Uranium rounds and they have same caliber but thats the only similarities. Otherwise totaly different guns. Also it coulnd't be possibly A-10 attack cuz the shooter is stationary/hovering and A-10 cannot pick individual soldiers like that. If this was an A-10 you would see rain of explosive stuff after wich all 3 trucks woulda been burning with those ppl inside. A-10 Doesnt have FLIR (Forward Looking Infa Red), it has small version of it to aim and lunch missiles like AGM-65 Maveriks but not to aim its gun. The aiming of the gun in A-10 is done through HUD (heads up display) and A-10 gotta strafe the target to kill with the gun. So the question of A-10 attack is out.

A-10 Warthog - Avenger GAU-8 30mm Gatling gun - doenst use tracer rounds at all! only in prototype version wich is looooong b4 we were born :)

AH-64 Apache - M-230A1 30mm Auto gun

AH-1 Cobra 20mm three barreled Auto gun. Cobra has 20mm gun NOT 30, although its gatling also it is totaly different gun compared to avenger. Hell the whole A-10 was build around Avenger.

Usually the belt for those guns is mixed with HE (High Explosive) AP (armour peircing usually with DU head ) later is usually has tracers on it so u can see it flying...the ratio of loading is usually done 3 HE 2 AP 3HE 2AP etc so the tracers you see in the vid is prolly from AP rounds while HE are exploding all around.

PS: by the looks of thier trucks I gotta say its Iraq, also the only place where there are tons of videos of ppl getting blown in the open space (ie Highway) is in Iraq 1st War and then 2nd War. I wont be suprised if this footage from first war either, cuz back then Iraqies were more bald/stupid.

more like engaged and successfully destroyed the enemy target Coco :twitch:

BTW here is a great discussion I recommend, a good read about killing on battlefield (the human side of it) and about how modern warfare looks like video game - wich is being disproven by the board members (most of wich are real veterans) to some pacifist girl.

Before you go though, the format they are using is a bit weird:

1. Original post is on top

2. The first reply is on the very bottom that means you will have to go back to Page 4 to see the first reply, I found all the good replies in the first couple of pages before it turned into a flame fest, but its a good read anyway.

3. The latest reply is on top

http://63.99.108.76/ubb/Forum2/HTML/005471.html

Kurtz, you read my post above right? I was physically effected by it. I don't really know how to explain it. I guess the closest example might be how an ant feels right before a) it gets stepped on or B) lazed by a kid with a magnifying glass. They never had a chance. They might have been our enemies and probably up to no good but geez, it was brutal.