I need your Prayers

Update:

Danielle is doing VERY well so far! She gets a little run down or a little naseous here or there, but for the most part she's a normal little girl. We expected her ANCs to be 100-200 and they were at 4000!!! That's my little trooper!!!!!!!

We all have colds that won't go away, but that's Ohio for you.

On a different note, one of the families we grew attached to received disappointing news. Caitlin went through awful chemo treatments and finished them not to long ago. That is certainly something to celebrate! However, she was going through a cancer checkup and they detected probable cancer in her lungs. Can you imagine running a marathon, crossing the finish line and then have someone tell you you have to go run another 26+miles...so get running?

I am starting to wonder why God lets these children suffer? It really hurts and it definitely scares me. My only saving thought is that the Bible described children with fatal outcomes who were healed by Jesus. That means that children suffered even when Jesus walked the earth.

It gives me a little comfort, but not much. I still don't understand why it's the children. They've done nothing to deserve such a sentence.

I am not mad and I accept God's ways, I just don't understand them.

Please take a moment to pray for Caitlin. Please pray that Caitlin and her family receive the strength to accept God's plan.

You read it in my posts all the time--NOW GO DO IT!! Even if they're sleeping, go hug your kids, tell them you love'em.

God Bless,

Duke

• Replies 528
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Update:

Danielle's not doing so well. Long story short, we're just waiting to go to the hospital. It's not "if", it's "when".

Caitlin had her cancer meetings today. Her survival rate just dropped to 20%.

I'm scared and hurtin' right now.

I'm sorry to hear it's not going well Duke, please give us an update when you have one. You will all be in my thoughts.

From your posts, it seems Danielle has been doing super, so we'll just hope that this is a small bump in the road,and that she will continue to amaze all of us with her ability to bounce back.

Hang in there man!

Duke, your family and Caitlin's family is in my prayers. Hold strong to God right now bro. He is our Jehovah Rapha, the God that heals. He will be there with you and your family and will comfort you all. It's always tough at times like this (as you know), wondering why all this is happening, but we as mortal beings have a very limited field of vision whereas God has no limitations. Just have faith to believe that you are in His loving arms and He will carry you through this.

Duke, your family and Caitlin's family is in my prayers.  Hold strong to God right now bro.  He is our Jehovah Rapha, the God that heals.  He will be there with you and your family and will comfort you all.  It's always tough at times like this (as you know), wondering why all this is happening, but we as mortal beings have a very limited field of vision whereas God has no limitations.  Just have faith to believe that you are in His loving arms and He will carry you through this.

Amen.

We're all doing a little better today. Danielle is back into steroids so I bought everything from bacon to bananas last night.

Got some CS time in to blow off some steam. Did Ok until acid & clue got involved. I went downhill from there.

Thanks for the words and thoughts from all. Much appreciated.

Will take, thanks g00t.

update:

Danielle isn't doing great, but isn't doing bad. The rest of her hair should fall out by the weekend so keep those hats coming!!

She's just not herself, that's about all I can say.

Kel got some away time on Sat so she won't jump off the bridge this week.

The DukeNukem is rotten as ever.

I had a reality check over the weekend. A friend of mine checked up on me and the family over the weekend and when asked, I said everything was fine.

However, everything was not fine. Everything was awful.

My problem is that I've entered into 'automatic mode'. Whenever I'm asked, I say everything is 'fine'.

I think it's a defense mech. Maybe it's to avoid the same conversation over and over. Maybe it's to avoid thinking about the reality of what's going on. Maybe I don't have time for the conversation. Maybe I'm just in a bad mood. There are too many 'maybe's'.

So the question is, "Is that fair to the person who is genuinely concerned?"

No, it is not.

So after getting "called" on it, I learned is that it's ok to just say, "Things are rough right now and I can't really talk about it right now".

A nice lesson...not too painful.

That's all from the hillbilly homestead. Go hug your kids.

GC Alumni
(edited)

Glad to hear she's improved, even if it's not as much as we would like. You have another package from me and family at Fatty's place, maybe an excuse to get those drinks we've been talking about?

Keep the updates coming , we love to hear how it's going, and we understand it gets repetitive for you sometimes, but if it did'nt, that would mean that no one cared enough to ask. :blush:

Keep on hangin on :peace:

Edited by clueless

Glad to hear she's improved, even if it's not as much as we would like. You have another package from me and family at Fatty's place, maybe an excuse to get those drinks we've been talking about?

Keep the updates coming , we love to hear how it's going, and we understand it gets repetitive for you sometimes, but if it did'nt, that would mean that no one cared enough to ask. :blush: 

Keep on hangin on :peace:

We can go, but Fatty's out...he just called us both clueless AND THAT'S NOT EVEN MY NAME!! :huh2:

Mrs.Duke gave me permission to go out Tuesday (tomorrow), Thurday or Friday.

Let's shoot for Thursday unless you or Fatty can't make it.

I was thinking about Louie's on Tallmadge Ave by Chapel Hill. Awesome burgers.

LMK what works.

Thursday works for me as far I know, we'll have to check with the fat one. I know Fridays out because i'm playing and admining the match in Mayhem.

Lemme know, we can continue this here or through PM's, whatever you guys prefer.

Praying for your family, keep going and moving forward 1 step at a time.  Most of all, faith will be your guide and shield never let it weaken.

:boing: :boing::boing:

Thank you for the prayers and the post! It helps.

update:

We trimmed off her remaining hair as it was going to fall out within days. Her counts are low, but not dangerous low so her body is on schedule to recover by next week's chemo round. She stopped the steroids (YES!) so her sleeping/eating habits should be back soon. She's doing as well as can be expected.

I bet she still looks super cute with no hair, maybe even cuter. Hopefully we can see some more pics soon.

How does she feel with no hair? I would think she's still to young to be bothered by it as much as an adult would be, heck, she might even think it's neato :)

update:

1:20pm

Danielle has "something" and can't fight it off since she has no immune system. Her temp is at 100.5 which means Keli is packing her bags to go to the hospital.

F&C on Sat night. Might make it, might not.

Sunday practice for CsLs--ditto.

More as I get it.

Update:

She was admitted last night and so far things are calm. We know what's coming so the "unknown" that causes the stress is absent.

We had a chuckle because previously, everytime Danielle's temp went up Kel spent an hour or two packing suitcases. As soon as she was done packing them, the temp went back down.

The ONE time she doesn't pack...

Her fever is down and the fissures around her rectum are healing. The fissures are an issue because open skin is a source of infection and due to the location...well...you can figure it out.

So really, we're just waiting for blood cultures to come back. All in all, everything is OK. I label it as a reality check for what we are dealing with. We ALL need reminded of what's important in life.

So let me remind you: Say a repentant prayer, call your mom, hug your kids, tell your partner you love them, be forgiving, be humble, give of yourself and know with your heart that you fall short and need help.

Sat night and Sun may still be on.

F&C- If I'm free, I'll throw it out there and whatever happens happens.

I should be on for Sunday night practice, but only if the kids are asleep.

That's all from Duke's hillbilly homestead.

It's Friday, go do something fun with your kids.

Update:

Things just got bad in a hurry. 

The docs suspect she has RSV or the flu, both of which are dangerous to immuno-comp'd children.

I'm scared.

Im scared too. Im goping right now to sit somewhere quiet and pray for awhile. Let us know as you are able to (convieniently). We are with you in spirit right now.