Next Windows OS

They just "renamed" it to Vista from Longhorn, since it was dragging on for so long they decided to play the marketing game and that fun stuff.

As for 64 Bit, I think it's going to be like XP where there's a 32 bit and a 64 bit version, but I'm not 100% certain on that.

That's the current idea, Ice. There's a 64-bit Vista BETA and a 32-bit Vista BETA, and they are offered/run seperately from one another.

Wether they leave it that way in the retail market, or they do the noble thing, and offer two CDs which will both run on one CD-key, one 32-bit and one 64-bit, is yet to be seen... ...don't hold your breath for a seamless, "anytime" upgrade from a 32-bit OS to a 64-bit OS, though. I'd expect them to be just as segregated as the XP versions are, now.

...surprise, surprise.

...and it will undoubtedly cost more than the PC that's needed to run it and the next generation of games.

...and that thoroughly tweaks my OS - they're trying harder and harder to hide the power-user options, to unify the Windows experience, and yet, the diversity of versions ensures that nobody has got the copy that they need, anyway.

Edited by Norguard

I heard that you can have a 3D desktop standard. But i cant remember where i heard that.

Longhorn was just a codename.

HERE IS LONGHORN MEANS

Longhorn is a bar in the home town where bill gates grew up. Im pritty sure thats where he had his first drink.

A girl told me that, she said that she doesnt know anything about computers but she knows that so she can smudge it in to people that dont know that who are computer nerds LOL

btw, last i've heard they threw out the new file system and the 3d window management. with each build it sounds more and more like a glorified "win xp sp3." oh wait, they redo some of the naming. my computer becomes computer, etc. pretty mind blowing stuff. :lol2:

Heh... ...it's partially true, and partially non-John.

...from what I can tell, the actual desktop layout is 2D, just like any iteration of Windows - however, there will be a feature like Apple's Expose, where you can see all of the windows that you have open at that time. They'll be shown almost like books on a bookshelf, with the name of the window on the spine.

The 3D GUI they're talking about now, is really just effects, which is half upsetting, and half relieving... I mean, can you believe that there still isn't any hardware acceleration for Windows? Throwing in 2GB of RAM and an AMD64 X2 4800+, just so websites don't chop and tear, when you scroll down quickly seems a little overkill, when just about any 32MB TnT2 card could suffice.

(edited)

I don't think I would EVER buy a microsoft product. well maintained open source software is more reliable and has much quicker fixes if any bug is found. I can't believe people pay 100+ for an OS of such horrible quality.....

But then again I guess thats microsoft's whole plan. Don't worry if it works or not, just make it enough user friendly to sell. If you take away microsoft, 99% of the people who claim they are computer intelligent, suddenly become computer illiterate.

Edited by NOFX

If you take away microsoft, 99% of the people who claim they are computer intelligent, suddenly become computer illiterate.

So what you're saying is, if you take away the operating system that those 99% of the people have learned their proficiency on, they will no longer be proficient?

If you take all the mathematics professors who specialize in calculus, and then get rid of calculus, you'd have a bunch of idiots too, I suppose...but isn't the knowledge that they have predicated on the very existence of such knowledge?

Yes, I'm all for people learning other operating systems, but let's be glad that people are "computer intelligent" enough to get by. Imagine a world where those 99% of users had to tug on your shirt sleeve for every little thing...

I want an operating system that lets me have moving images on my desktop. Say for example the tropical island standard windows desktop theme... I dont just want a still tropical island... I want people moving about and fighting on that island! Now an operating system that did that would be an operating system worth buying

I want an operating system that lets me have moving images on my desktop. Say for example the tropical island standard windows desktop theme... I dont just want a still tropical island... I want people moving about and fighting on that island! Now an operating system that did that would be an operating system worth buying

That would be however you set up your desktop. Even then, that would slow down your comp.

...it would be thoroughly feasible with the new Vista GUI. ...there may be performance hits, but if it is actually utilizing your DX9/DX10 videocard for video acceleration (which it will), there's no reason it couldn't.

...it wouldn't come stock, but I could definitely envision somebody programming a camera panning an F1 track, as cars sped by, in full, HDR splendour, while your desktop icons were hovering above. Heck, you could put the icons on the lawn, and on the billboard fences. Oh yeah.

Edited by Norguard

John was correct above... vista is nothing more then a glorified XP SP3 at this point... i just installed beta 2 released in December this week... not impressed at all. They did in fact take away the new file system, and a couple other "new additions" to Windows. I have seen some info pointing to an R2 of vista that will have the new file system and possibly a sp for vista to cover earlier versions for the new file system.

Microsoft has already stated that Operating Systems will all have an R2 version now... and a new OS every 6 years or something to that effect.

The last thing I heard from Microsoft was 3Q 2006 if I recall...

So summer 2007? :)

been really long time since XP came out... i mean that's ancient.. they need to get a new one out.. i think its going to be a 64 to.. so ill have to uprade..

well when i get a job this summer im going to uprgrade to the max ne way

NuT- :hug::hug::huh::huh: