Special Treat for FireFox Users

benjester

I "borrowed" someone's idea, and source code to create this handy little extention for firefox that adds a GC File menu to your menu bar.

I did not change any of the icons, so ignore the pictures.

I also could not figure out how to put an ampersand into an xul link, it kept erroring... so the cp and pm links only go to the foum index. sorry. If I get more time I will try to find the solution to that.

You can download the extention for installation here.

post-1630-1146856852_thumb.jpg

post-1630-1146856861_thumb.jpg

So, what is an XPI file and how do I use it?

<-- never used any extensions before, except Google toolbar.

using firefox just click on teh download link on my page... the extention manager will launch and install it.

using firefox just click on teh download link on my page... the extention manager will launch and install it.

Mine must be defective, it didn't automatically do anything. I did "open with" and it seems to have worked.

Mine must be defective, it didn't automatically do anything. I did "open with" and it seems to have worked.

Well, at least you got it...

another way: download the file. save it anywhere. In FireFox go to Tools > Extentions. The extention manager window will open. Drag the xpi file into the window, and it will also install.

thanks

Ben

Well, at least you got it...

another way: download the file. save it anywhere. In FireFox go to Tools > Extentions. The extention manager window will open. Drag the xpi file into the window, and it will also install.

thanks

Ben

I had to use this method to install it. Must be due to the version of Firefox I'm using which is 1.5.0.3

Anyways, I'm really liking this extension Benjester. Thanks again.

nice, do you mind if i ask how you created the xpi file and what you used to compile it? I'd like to play around with it and create my own

just rename the xpi to a zip file... there is no compiling per say... just javascript, or vbscript...

after you rename the xpi to a zip, then you can open that and see the folder structure in there... there is also a .jar file... rename that to a .zip as well...

play around with the code as much as you like, then save everything again, re zip everything, rename them and you're good to go... quite easy once you figure everything out.

let me know if I can help at all.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...