Ack! I think me is going balds!

J. Dunlavy

Glancing in the mirror lately has been a more painful than usual experience. I notice that my beautiful hair, probably one of the few things women can superficially appreciate about me (I’m in shape, so, yeah, I have that going for me too), is starting to thin.

I’m not a hair expert, but from my preliminary research and after talking to a barber or two, I’m able to conclude that I have roughly 5 good years of hair left before I’ll be labeled a partial baldy. My genetic lineage, while not spectacularly challenged in forming follicles, produces roughly a 50/50 split group of Dunlavy men who have thinning, recessive hairlines while the rest have full heads of hair. I’d prefer to be in the latter group. I want to be pretty.

Due to trepidatious concerns of not dying alone (women can’t love me without my hair!) and also, well… vanity… I’ve decided to experiment with science and go on a Propecia trial.

Some questions I’ve had to ask myself:

Male pattern hair loss is not a disease, so why take medication for it?

Do the avails of Merck’s Propecia outweigh the potential setbacks?

Is hair worth the money?

My answer to that last question is YES. Appearance, which can make or break your life, is worth a hefty investment, at least to me. Even if baldness does not make you ugly, I do think it can play a role in making someone less attractive, which will affect your life with both the opposite sex (dating) and with people of your own gender (career, friendships).

I’ve consulted with a very well respected dermatologist and he takes Propecia for himself. I’ve been convinced. I intend to fill a prescription and halve the pills in order to reduce the dose (which is still quite effective according to the FDA), save some money, and hopefully avoid complications caused by any initial side effects. The purpose of this thread is to gather the thoughts, feedback and experiences of my beloved GC community.

I open the floor…

I have almost no hair on top... so i've been balding for years... i'm 30 now... since i started shaving my head, I get hit on a lot more...

it has affected my friendships too... all my guy friends are jealous... some of my female friends can't wait for me to be single again... 8P

Personally, I have not had a problem with going bald... it is all in how people perceive it... it is a matter of opinion... some hate, some like it.

I also did a lot of research into it in my early 20's.. things have changed some since then... but all in all, i'm ok with being bald. 8)

Im 30...and yeah, pretty thinning on top. Actually not too bad, but its noticable to me. Otherwise, Im beautiful...luckily ;) J.K!

Anyhow, cut it short...own your thinning hair, dont make excuses...guys dont need hair to be attractive to the hoes.

Mine is really short, btw.

Anyone else know anything about the topic???

Cough *Fatty* Cough...

Get a transplant.

Heck no. You're the devil.

I have almost no hair on top... so i've been balding for years... i'm 30 now... since i started shaving my head, I get hit on a lot more...

it has affected my friendships too... all my guy friends are jealous... some of my female friends can't wait for me to be single again... 8P

Personally, I have not had a problem with going bald... it is all in how people perceive it... it is a matter of opinion... some hate, some like it.

I also did a lot of research into it in my early 20's.. things have changed some since then... but all in all, i'm ok with being bald. 8)

Wow. A very optimistic approach to baldness. Refreshing, actually. :-)

Unfortunately, I'm not sure I COULD pull off the bald look. I have a longer facial structure.

Focus on the men on your mom's side of the family for genetics.

-Fk

Common misconception. There's a lot of factors to male baldness. All of my uncles on my moms side (5 of them) have full heads of hair. On my Dad's side my grandfather has got the monk thing (like Batman 8P) ) and my uncle and father have the exact "hairdo". The same thing is happening to me, so I'm getting my genes specific to topical hair growth from my Father's side. (or some other blatant factor)

FWIW, you seem to have done the research about effective dosages, but I'd have to be real sure before engaging in cost-cutting measures. I'll bet I know what would be worse for you than losing your hair...losing your hair and the money you spent on a drug that wasn't effective because you tried to save some coin.

Just a thought.

wouldn't shaving encourage growth?

http://www.sciam.com/askexpert_question.cf...C57&ref=rss

Im 25 now, Ive notice hairloss since I was 20. I could be sitting in class and run my hand through my hair a few hair a few times and it would be all over my book. I have a decent receding hairline in the front, but i have longer hair, so its not to noticeable. But the good news is, that is has slowed down ALOT. My hair hasn't been thining, it was just falling out starting in the front.

if woman luvs you for your hair...look elsewhere. In the end the only person that is bothered by your balding will be yourself.

It's a self image thing.

Bingo

I'm going to find a girl who will polish my head "MR CLEAN!"

Edited by TheGeek